RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Emotive

Looking To The Future

9 hours ago, I know said:

1, can be done and would suit some dogs . Injurie rate is less (fact) so yes ticks the Boxs .2, would this be good could drop injurie rate but affect turnover and would be easy for one trainer to have the whole field.3, it’s a must also change the lure .4, again a must .5, why ? Who would this help ? 6, no wont help anything. 7, the riu should have no ties to any trainer at all , they should be random but they need to know what they are looking for and act on it straight away .8 , straight forward .9, agree but to do this steps 7 and 8 need to be cleaned up . I’d say this already happens just needs cleaned up. I don’t have the answers to all the questions imports breeding etc but things need to change if we are going to move forward but this has to happen from the top down rather than the bottom up . For a start why do we charge a person looking to adopt a greyhound as a pet ? Why wouldn’t it be free ? Why have we not put x amount into tracks ? Why don’t we look at Aussie big picture instead of adopting only half the concept ? We need key leaders not sheep . We need to stop talking and take action . 

5 would help travelling trainers who get all the way to the track and a meeting is called off because off a official sayiing it was a act of god...ie the last cambridge meeting.....god was very selective that day were he droped to much water....at least half stake payout would help owners and trainers to feed there dogs...

10 hours ago, I know said:

1, can be done and would suit some dogs . Injurie rate is less (fact) so yes ticks the Boxs .2, would this be good could drop injurie rate but affect turnover and would be easy for one trainer to have the whole field.3, it’s a must also change the lure .4, again a must .5, why ? Who would this help ? 6, no wont help anything. 7, the riu should have no ties to any trainer at all , they should be random but they need to know what they are looking for and act on it straight away .8 , straight forward .9, agree but to do this steps 7 and 8 need to be cleaned up . I’d say this already happens just needs cleaned up. I don’t have the answers to all the questions imports breeding etc but things need to change if we are going to move forward but this has to happen from the top down rather than the bottom up . For a start why do we charge a person looking to adopt a greyhound as a pet ? Why wouldn’t it be free ? Why have we not put x amount into tracks ? Why don’t we look at Aussie big picture instead of adopting only half the concept ? We need key leaders not sheep . We need to stop talking and take action . 

can you point me to the facts there are less injuries in your first point

2 hours ago, gary1 said:

can you point me to the facts there are less injuries in your first point

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jul/15/greyhound-racing-report-recommends-straight-tracks-to-cut-down-on-injuries 

imo an ill admit I haven't seen too many races but Capalaba seems a better straight track as they race behind a drag lure. Although maybe the toe injuries from racing on grass increase. 

Here is a link from a race up there. Excuse the dog pulling up at the end. He went on to have a very successful career in vic. I think it was on his 2nd race start. 

57 minutes ago, Sheepy said:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jul/15/greyhound-racing-report-recommends-straight-tracks-to-cut-down-on-injuries 

imo an ill admit I haven't seen too many races but Capalaba seems a better straight track as they race behind a drag lure. Although maybe the toe injuries from racing on grass increase. 

Here is a link from a race up there. Excuse the dog pulling up at the end. He went on to have a very successful career in vic. I think it was on his 2nd race start. 

correct different lure      they have said 80 percent of injuries happen on bends                   did they actually do a report on straight tracks look at last weeks stewards report on healsville

14 minutes ago, POPA GAS said:

Have put a rail in a Capalaba but most of the trainer did not like it so they went back to the lure down the middle. It was very safe track. I did hear that PN looked at Foxton race track,

To put in at straight track, I am all for it. 

have ever been and watched straight track racing

8 hours ago, POPA GAS said:

Have put a rail in a Capalaba but most of the trainer did not like it so they went back to the lure down the middle. It was very safe track. I did hear that PN looked at Foxton race track,

To put in at straight track, I am all for it. 

when did they put the rail in bev

Straight Tracks like Healesville in Australia seems a stupid plan given that noone has a good view even on Tv on where your dog is (although we would do better than healesville with their 1 camera (super 8 I think ) Its stupid because unworkable for spectators, land would be difficult and expensive. and dogs not getting round corners ! what the ? hard bikkies to thos poor dogsthat dont like corners. The times would be fantastic but not much relevance .

55 minutes ago, john legend said:

Straight Tracks like Healesville in Australia seems a stupid plan given that noone has a good view even on Tv on where your dog is (although we would do better than healesville with their 1 camera (super 8 I think ) Its stupid because unworkable for spectators, land would be difficult and expensive. and dogs not getting round corners ! what the ? hard bikkies to thos poor dogsthat dont like corners. The times would be fantastic but not much relevance .

Appreciate your comments JL. I agree with your assessment of Healesville, the view is very limited but that is down to poor planning and design. If the money could be found to build to stand alone straight tracks in NZ, then good design is paramount. A stand that was built above and across the track would be the way to go. That design would have the dogs running under the middle of the stand after they passed the post. This would give all spectators a head-on view of every dog in the race throughout the duration. The dogs would pull up behind the stand in full view of the spectators, and the cooling bay/kenneling area would be built under the stand on both sides of the race tunnel. The 3 camera system would give TV viewers film out of the boxes, side view, and head-on. Now I know this would require a cash injection from the NZRB to happen, but it is possible.

I do not agree with your "Hard Bikkies" comment. Our existence and acceptance are tied directly to animal welfare and rehoming efforts. The purists will argue only quality should make the track. And in an ideal world that would be great. Unfortunately, the majority of dogs running do not fit into the purists' mould. For every class dog, there 30 that wouldn't make the purist cut. What to do with these dogs? We do not have the facilities to rehome that number, euthanasia is not an option, definitely not one of mine. So you make the most of what you have and keep the lesser quality dog in the game for as long as possible until they can be rehomed. There are a number of reasons that a dog may not run the bends well, and this is supported by the fact that many dogs run a type of track better than others. Like it or not welfare will rule greyhound racing from this year on, it's time everyone got on board with that and at least make an attempt to see the bigger picture.

8 hours ago, Emotive said:

Appreciate your comments JL. I agree with your assessment of Healesville, the view is very limited but that is down to poor planning and design. If the money could be found to build to stand alone straight tracks in NZ, then good design is paramount. A stand that was built above and across the track would be the way to go. That design would have the dogs running under the middle of the stand after they passed the post. This would give all spectators a head-on view of every dog in the race throughout the duration. The dogs would pull up behind the stand in full view of the spectators, and the cooling bay/kenneling area would be built under the stand on both sides of the race tunnel. The 3 camera system would give TV viewers film out of the boxes, side view, and head-on. Now I know this would require a cash injection from the NZRB to happen, but it is possible.

I do not agree with your "Hard Bikkies" comment. Our existence and acceptance are tied directly to animal welfare and rehoming efforts. The purists will argue only quality should make the track. And in an ideal world that would be great. Unfortunately, the majority of dogs running do not fit into the purists' mould. For every class dog, there 30 that wouldn't make the purist cut. What to do with these dogs? We do not have the facilities to rehome that number, euthanasia is not an option, definitely not one of mine. So you make the most of what you have and keep the lesser quality dog in the game for as long as possible until they can be rehomed. There are a number of reasons that a dog may not run the bends well, and this is supported by the fact that many dogs run a type of track better than others. Like it or not welfare will rule greyhound racing from this year on, it's time everyone got on board with that and at least make an attempt to see the bigger picture.

emotive as i see it what your trying to say is that every litter bred all pups should be able to race

1 hour ago, gary1 said:

emotive as i see it what your trying to say is that every litter bred all pups should be able to race

That isn't possible Gary. If you breed responsibly every dog should have the chance of being rehomed, whether they raced or not. For those who do get to the races having options keeps them all racing until a rehoming spot becomes available. I know that isn't an idea that is supported by the racing purists, but it is supported by the majority of ethical trainers. Take for example the number of dogs discarded by a large CD breeder/trainer. What would happen to these dogs if other trainers did not take on the dogs he no longer wants? The trainer who takes them on also takes on the responsibility of rehoming yet they never bred the dog. Having options improves welfare outcomes.

11 hours ago, Emotive said:

That isn't possible Gary. If you breed responsibly every dog should have the chance of being rehomed, whether they raced or not. For those who do get to the races having options keeps them all racing until a rehoming spot becomes available. I know that isn't an idea that is supported by the racing purists, but it is supported by the majority of ethical trainers. Take for example the number of dogs discarded by a large CD breeder/trainer. What would happen to these dogs if other trainers did not take on the dogs he no longer wants? The trainer who takes them on also takes on the responsibility of rehoming yet they never bred the dog. Having options improves welfare outcomes.

firstly not every dog can be rehomed secondly if we follow your thoughts it wont take long for every person in nz to have a greyhound as  a pet

1 minute ago, gary1 said:

firstly not every dog can be rehomed secondly if we follow your thoughts it wont take long for every person in nz to have a greyhound as  a pet

"should have the chance of being rehomed". I am well aware that not every greyhound can be rehomed Gary, just like not every greyhound will qualify. But it's no longer acceptable to not try.

26 minutes ago, Emotive said:

"should have the chance of being rehomed". I am well aware that not every greyhound can be rehomed Gary, just like not every greyhound will qualify. But it's no longer acceptable to not try.

i think everyone does try i think a good start would for all aussie owned dogs be sent back to be rehomed