RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
pilli

Raceday Steward Reporting-22 Dec 2017

So,today we are advised on The Greyhound Racing NZ Website...

As from Friday 22 Dec 2017 Stewards race reports will include the reporting of any euthanised dogs.

This begs the question  WHO WAS THE FOOL(S) who decided  that withholding this previously reported information was in any way a wise strategy!!!

The Current Board & The RIU continuing to procrastinate and do nothing to bring the current accusations of live baiting to a head also needs addressing now,not later.

Hiding behind the excuses of an RSPCA enquiry is doing Our Code absolutely no good at all,and denying The Coles a chance to show their innocence/or otherwise!

11 hours ago, pilli said:

So,today we are advised on The Greyhound Racing NZ Website...

As from Friday 22 Dec 2017 Stewards race reports will include the reporting of any euthanised dogs.

This begs the question  WHO WAS THE FOOL(S) who decided  that withholding this previously reported information was in any way a wise strategy!!!

The Current Board & The RIU continuing to procrastinate and do nothing to bring the current accusations of live baiting to a head also needs addressing now,not later.

Hiding behind the excuses of an RSPCA enquiry is doing Our Code absolutely no good at all,and denying The Coles a chance to show their innocence/or otherwise!

Couldn't agree more pilli, and good to see you back. This had to be the most dangerous decision ever made by the NZGRA, it defied belief that they could be so stupid in light of the Australian example. The RIU must bear equal responsibility for carrying out this order when they tout themselves as independent. Fortunately they have seen the light, whether its in time is a moot point.

Can't say they weren't warned quite some time ago...

Sent: Thursday, 11 August 2016 10:42 p.m.
To: Phil Holden
Subject: NSW ban on Greyhound Racing

Dear Sir,

Firstly, let me congratulate you on your recent appointment to the position of Chief Executive Officer of the New Zealand Greyhound Racing. I hope the role will be a fulfilling one for you.

I write to you as a very concerned participant in the industry. Despite breeding and owning a number of greyhounds in New Zealand I am based in NSW and have been following events here very closely. After sitting through numerous hours of debate last night from the NSW upper house of state parliament, I made a few observations.

Those speaking in support of the industry could rightly point out that wastage in greyhounds was no different in principle than many other animal industries from equine racing to dairy to chickens, domestic pets etc. Death and injury of animals as a result of an industry providing a gambling medium was no different to horse racing. The inability of the industry to stamp out live baiting was as much the fault of government appointed oversight and a lack of appetite to go after offenders by those tasked with that responsibility as it was the industry's fault in not doing more to eradicate the people involved.  There was one area though that really cut to the bone so to speak. Given all the controversy after the Four Corners episode last year when transparency and accountability should have been at its zenith those involved at Greyhounds New South Wales sought to sanitise figures relating to deaths and injury's in the form of stipendiary reports. Whilst the intentions may well have been to protect the sport, once exposed it only reinforced a belief that the industry and completely lost it's moral compass or even it's "social license", such that any other alternatives the industry might come up with to reform couldn't be trusted to be enacted.

I point this out because a similar process has been exhibited in New Zealand racing and I hope it is being stopped. There will come a day in the near future where pressure will come to bear on Greyhound Racing in New Zealand from the Greens and animal activists like the Greyhound Protection League who made submissions to the McHugh report. They will no doubt be seeking to draw as many parallels as possible and as an industry we need to distance ourselves from all similar behavior. 

To watch a sport I love being torn apart by politicians and the media is heartbreaking. The untruths littered through the McHugh report have been used to deride the efforts of thousands of good hard working folk who have never done a thing but love their dogs and cherish there company. To have these untruths splashed across television and print media as fact by a government so malicious in its intent horrifies me.

I firmly believe the New Zealand Greyhound Racing Association has an opportunity to get well ahead of the debate about the industry's right to exist by implementing a groundbreaking and world leading set of measures to ensure full lifetime management for all dogs and the highest level of welfare enforcement. Whilst the structure of the sport in New Zealand is different, similar issues never the less remain. There are systemic welfare and wastage issues arising from the business models employed by some in the industry that I believe we need to address and address quickly before the same tactics employed by Four Corners and some of the animal activists arrive on NZ shores.

I thank you in advance for taking the time to read this email.

Regards,