RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.

Should GAP now be considered a greyhound rescue organisation

Many of the public already consider gap a rescue organisation. Maybe we should just admit that it is. It rehomes dogs that people don't want and if not rehomed has a reasonable chance of being euthanised. From another view what would have happened to the 2000 greyhounds that GAP has rehomed if Gap didn't exist? Seems like it meets the criteria for a rescue organisation.

They are the most looked after dogs in NZ and you want to call them rescued.

GAP, It rehomes dogs that people don't want and if not rehomed has a reasonable chance of being euthanised.

Like any other breed of dog would be, if they are not people/cat friendly.

Why are Greyhounds diffrent from any other breed of dog ? ?

Easy target.

31 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

No excuse to over breed and not take responsibility for their welfare after racing....onus should be on owners/trainers, not the poor people that do it voluntarily, must be like a rat on wheel for them...never ending, maybe the racing board should put a %tage of every $1 bet on the greyhound's to the support the rehabilitation of greyhound's to a life after racing.

NOTE: Page 7 of the second pdf "The Trust receives 60% of its funding from Greyhound Racing New Zealand.....".

In addition, each owner or trainer pays a fee per dog when the dog is entered into the program.
GAP is a registered charity who is tax exempt.

https://greyhoundsaspets.org.nz/sites/default/files/2016/2017 Annual Report.pdf

https://greyhoundsaspets.org.nz/sites/default/files/2016/Greyhounds as Pets 2017 Financial Report.pdf

28 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

In your opinion what is the best solution to getting greyhound racing to be recognised as an humane and accepted medium in the public eye? I think most of the public see it as shadowy and secretive, the same topics are always revisited and nothing ever gets resolved. Do you think some trainers take on more dogs than they can possibly look after the dogs welfare needs?

Breeding needs to be addressed. A few trainers are responsible for the bulk of breeding in NZ. Some trainers like me choose not to breed at all. A limit should be set and a tax imposed for any dog bred over that acceptable limit. This tax could be used to increase and improve rehoming outcomes for all. Those who have chosen to go big, do so for their own benefit and not for the benefit of the industry. They should be held accountable. Everyone who does breed hopes they will be rewarded with a champion or at least a dog that is competitive at the top end of racing. Most breed responsibly. Should someone be allowed to breed 300 pups a year in that quest? The simple answer is no. They knew the percentages when they embarked on that journey, a journey that now has caused the sport to fall into disrepute. 300 pups from one trainer is more than the total rehomed by GAP last year.

8 hours ago, Emotive said:

Breeding needs to be addressed. A few trainers are responsible for the bulk of breeding in NZ. Some trainers like me choose not to breed at all. A limit should be set and a tax imposed for any dog bred over that acceptable limit. This tax could be used to increase and improve rehoming outcomes for all. Those who have chosen to go big, do so for their own benefit and not for the benefit of the industry. They should be held accountable. Everyone who does breed hopes they will be rewarded with a champion or at least a dog that is competitive at the top end of racing. Most breed responsibly. Should someone be allowed to breed 300 pups a year in that quest? The simple answer is no. They knew the percentages when they embarked on that journey, a journey that now has caused the sport to fall into disrepute. 300 pups from one trainer is more than the total rehomed by GAP last year.

My sentiments exactly. This has long been a concern for us. There should be a cap on the number of dogs one can breed. We have a new litter (our last one was 4 years ago), and hope as you say there might be a good dog in there. We have been reasonably successful with our babies so far. Hopefully this unrest will come to a positive conclusion. Love your posts by the way. 

8 hours ago, Emotive said:

The answer is quite simple, stop imports, and only breed whats required for a NZ racing population. I mean this could be instituted now. The selfish importers will howl this down, but rest assured, it would not matter one iota on turnovers, and in fact would increase them over time as more people get involved in breeding.

31 minutes ago, aquaman said:

The answer is quite simple, stop imports, and only breed whats required for a NZ racing population. I mean this could be instituted now. The selfish importers will howl this down, but rest assured, it would not matter one iota on turnovers, and in fact would increase them over time as more people get involved in breeding.

I understand why you would wish to implement such a plan, but based on what facts? Imports pay a fee which also covers rehoming, no rehoming fee is attached to NZ breds. Do you know what the percentages are of Au and NZ dogs to rehoming? Not everyone chooses to breed, they should have an option. A cap on imports already exists, no cap exists on NZ breds, which means that individual trainers can breed to excess with no thought to the retirement or welfare of that stock that floods the industry. A breakdown of those breeders efforts should be undertaken asap. However, what I do not agree with is the inclusion of an Au kennel in NZ, a kennel set up with the sole purpose of unloading lesser quality dogs surplus to requirements in Au. That should not be happening. Maybe it would be in our best interest to reduce the import quota and cap the number of imports per kennel, but personally, I would not do away with imports completely. The numbers need to be crunched to identify the areas that contribute the greatest number to any lost dogs tally

18 hours ago, dogrug said:

They are the most looked after dogs in NZ and you want to call them rescued.

GAP, It rehomes dogs that people don't want and if not rehomed has a reasonable chance of being euthanised.

Like any other breed of dog would be, if they are not people/cat friendly.

Why are Greyhounds diffrent from any other breed of dog ? ?

Easy target.

So I'm playing devils advocate on this one.

they are most looked after dogs in NZ...... Until they are not wanted, then they are rehomed or killed.

if they are not dog/cat friendly......so you are saying this is the only reason they are killed.  So you know that no one in NZ kills their greyhounds because they are not just not wanted anymore, even the commercial trainers. 

Any other breed. ...... Not the focus of this discussion. However, no other  breed is bred to race, be bet on, win money on and then disposed of when it can't earn money and disposed of, many of them are.

easy targets.. Absolute rubbish. Greyhound breeding, betting and racing and killing is unique.  Do I agree with other shite that happens with dogs and other animals, abuse etc. nope.

i guess im trying to have many, some,  maybe a few of you realise the depth of feeling in the general public there is about the state of greyhound racing. Sure some are misinformed, some are activists but many already believe these dogs are rescues or require rescuing. It has been a common question at events over the years. Are these the rescued greyhounds. It does not mean they are welfare cases but can simply be people think they have been"rescued" from the horrible greyhound racing industry. Right or wrong or just different it is their opinion. What has happened over the last few weeks only converts more people to this view further jeopardising your loved greyhound racing.