RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Cantab52

Rehabilitation Fund for race injuries

Once again I want to bring this up. I had an email conversation with Jim when he was in charge several years ago. He thought it was a great idea and why hadn't it been thought.of before. He said he would bring it up at a boardmeetong. Don't know if he did. Some time after that I thought I would given the new welfare officer a chance to give his opinion on my idea. Never got a response to my emails which made me very cynical about how genuine GRNZ were about greyhound welfare. Out of sight out of mind. I think we need a fund set up to cover vet bills for when a race dog injures itself during a race. They put their bodies in the line every time they.go.out there.  They deserve to be looked after when things go terribly wrong. As they do.. many injuries can be repaired I have about 4 retired ones at home that have broken hocks and one that snapped s front leg. All repaired. All now sound and most importantly.all happy.  If it means taking a percentage of the stake money to fund this so be it. It would be a tangible way.of showing the WORLD that we really do give a shit about our dogs.

I have a had a good think about your post. I often support "Give A Little' pages when I can. I don't always have the funds to support all the retired greys that are in need of medical funds, but I do help when I can. When one of our dogs is injured and requires vet care, we go it alone. If we have a vet that allows us to pay the bill off that's great, but there will always be occasions when a dog needs expensive urgent surgery which requires immediate payment. Not always possible. We cannot get insurance so that is not an option. I would like to say I have a contingency fund that covers these emergencies, but that fund is often tapped into when my dogs aren't earning. In an ideal world, it would never be touched. "IF" lack of funds for serious surgery is a reason that some dogs are euthanised, then I am 100% behind you on this. I have a dog on my sofa who has never raced thanks to a paddock break at an early age. The cost of surgery and post-op care was nearly $10,000.00. I was lucky in that the owner footed the bill, and thank god he did, because I did not have that kind of cash. In the general population, the dog would have been euthanised.

All sorts of thoughts on this subject. Sounds like a genuine idea worthy of discussion. The problem lies with how much is too much and how often could it have been avoided. I support several worthwhile charities and if I had a spare 10,000 it would go to something like Starship hospital well before any animal.

Just my choice

3 hours ago, Emotive said:

I have a had a good think about your post. I often support "Give A Little' pages when I can. I don't always have the funds to support all the retired greys that are in need of medical funds, but I do help when I can. When one of our dogs is injured and requires vet care, we go it alone. If we have a vet that allows us to pay the bill off that's great, but there will always be occasions when a dog needs expensive urgent surgery which requires immediate payment. Not always possible. We cannot get insurance so that is not an option. I would like to say I have a contingency fund that covers these emergencies, but that fund is often tapped into when my dogs aren't earning. In an ideal world, it would never be touched. "IF" lack of funds for serious surgery is a reason that some dogs are euthanised, then I am 100% behind you on this. I have a dog on my sofa who has never raced thanks to a paddock break at an early age. The cost of surgery and post-op care was nearly $10,000.00. I was lucky in that the owner footed the bill, and thank god he did, because I did not have that kind of cash. In the general population, the dog would have been euthanised.

You sound like a like minded animal lover. Well done. I really think it should be an initiative handled by GRNZ. Initially I thought it could be mainly funded by reduction of the petrol vouchers. Then of course they disappeared anyway. It should be run kind of like an ACC fund there could be a levy on.fees 5% of all stakes could go into the fund. It would probably need an injection to start with. Maybe the clubs with available funds could help start it off. I hear the Chch club has the guts of aI cool mil in the coffers surely they could spare 50k to start off such a scheme. It would be a positive move. The public can't comprehend why so many dogs are euthanised with fixable injuries and quite frankly Neither can I.