RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rdytdy

Castletown RIP

We have lost one of our toughest stayers in Castletown aged 31.

103 starts 16 wins 9 2nds and 11 3rds. Prize Money: $1,384,055 NZ &  $807,170 AUS

G1 wins

1989 NZ Derby

1991 Wellington Cup

1992 Auckland Cup

1992 Wellington Cup

1992 Caulfield Stakes

1994 Wellington Cup

G2 wins

1990 Queen Elizabeth Handicap

1991 AJC St Leger

G3 wins

1991 Trentham Stakes

1991 Kelt Capital Stakes

1992 Trentham Stakes

1993 Trentham Stakes

A 2nd & a 3rd in the Sydney Cup and a 3rd in the Melbourne Cup.

He started at 3200m 15 times. 

A lovely kind horse who brings back great memories. especially when "the dream burst into reality."

Three Wellington Cups and three Trentham Stakes. They should have a race named in his honour at Trentham.

RIP Mac.  

It must have been December 1989; I was listening to talk back on Radio Pacific and some old codger called in about Castletown's win at Avondale, just a few days before the Derby.  I listened carefully and thought;

"this old codger knows what he is talking about, unlike many people one hears on talkback."

So I had a punt on Castletown and the returns paid for Christmas grog, new year's grog and a few meals out after that.

Whoever that caller was; thanks mate.

3 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Three Wellington Cups and three Trentham Stakes. They should have a race named in his honour at Trentham.

Yes they should, but it's one thing we tend not to do in NZ. There would certainly be a race named after him at Flemington or Caulfield if he did all that over there.

The day he won his third Wellington Cup at Trentham was one I'll never forget - what a champ - everyone forgot who they'd actually punted on and just started yelling for him - the atmosphere was phenomenal.   Rod Stewart and Rachel Hunter adopted him that day :) and the late Lisa O'Sullivan (later Chittick) won fashion in the field .. a marvellous day to remember with so many happy people :)

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

The day he won his third Wellington Cup at Trentham was one I'll never forget - what a champ - everyone forgot who they'd actually punted on and just started yelling for him - the atmosphere was phenomenal.   Rod Stewart and Rachel Hunter adopted him that day :) and the late Lisa O'Sullivan (later Chittick) won fashion in the field .. a marvellous day to remember with so many happy people :)

you summed it up brilliantly. I was there that day standing on the lawn and nothing was going to stop him. Rod and Rachel were just the icing on the cake. I can't remember who rode him - was it Noel H? 

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:12 PM, Brown Fox said:

31 is a good innings.Must have been well looked after.:)

Indeed, my Foxy friend.  A fabulous age and good on whoever cared for the champ through his autumn years.