RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
GOM

Lures and teasers

With the current investigation apparently far from completed it seems to me that we need to have a look at the lures we use to train greyhounds.

The current investigation has shown that it is hard to tell what is actually  being used on a lure. That is my reason for calling the current half passed legislation stupid.

We need a system where it is easy to identify what the lure actually is. If it has been commercially tanned or not is impossible to tell until you have the lure in your hand and even then it could be debatable.

My suggestion is that the NZGRA investigate the most popular lure amongst participants and get a standard lure manufactured. The only difference would be it would have distinctive colouring or markings that would identify it as a NZGRA or even ANZGRA lure. You would imagine a design manufacturer at Al Baba or the likes would be able to manufacture something with and without a squeaker for a fairly modest amount. The lures would be distributed amongst the participants and would be the only lures able to be used legally to train greyhounds in NZ. 

There would be many benefits;  a level playing field, a lure able to be identified from a distance as benign, the same lure could be used at tracks so dogs were chasing the same thing as they do at home.

There would be calls of nanny state and it interferes with my methods but it would ensure there is a starting point for an investigation which would be very clear.

I'll leave the design to the clever buggers but White with red polka dots or a Yellow bunny with green ears could encourage the ockkers.

I agree that there is a need to standardise lure materials, these materials should be dyed unnatural bright colours. Our track lures are made of tanned sheepskin which is durable, changing the colour and making the pieces available to trainers for home use would not be difficult. I have provided two links that readers might like to peruse. The first is official policy from GRNSW, it makes mention of Greyhound Australasia rules, which also apply to NZ.

https://www.thedogs.com.au/Uploads/Userfiles/Policy - Lures and use of live animals animal carcasses or parts of an animal.pdf

The second link is from the GRV and includes photographs and descriptions of permitted lures in that State.
https://greyhoundcare.grv.org.au/lures/

If you all can have discussions like above and come to some sort of consensus your sport will be much stronger and united for it. I guess the key is to get all participants on board and for everyone to have an understanding of why it is necessary. Of course it would be just as important for everyone to understand that any transgressions will have severe penalties.

Some may say the rules as they currently stand are sufficient, and its your governing body and the RIU turning  a blind eye which is responsible for the current situation,because of their failure to enforce rules that already are on the books. They obviously need to show some leadership and need a change of attitude.

GRNZ has issued a website advisory which relates to Baiting penalties and Lure policy. It would be in the best interest of all participants to acquaint yourselves with the specifics. The advisory was posted on the 19th of December, 2017. It is unclear what the penalty is for failing to notify knowledge of an offense.