RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Peter Jenkins

Ellerslie today

9 hours ago, Blind Squirrel said:

As the resident know-it-all I'm sure you meant Craig Baker the ARC Racing Manager as opposed to Hallmark Studs Mark Baker - both top notch fellas but I doubt very much that Mark speaks for the ARC. Good to see you got Claydo's name completely correct - well done you, have half a gold star.

For the record I did say the following "No doubt the colours could have been a little more diverse and easier to associate with either the jockey or horse" - my argument was not that the colours weren't tough for those used to seeing the traditional silks - my argument, if you looked outside your narrow minded invective, was that you were just another of the mob trashing the whole event based on one component of a multi headed beast that was designed to try and lift racing out of the doldrums. 

You all want change, growth, prosperity yet the minute anyone steps outside an antiquated set of norms you attempt to undermine them with your overwrought version of the chicken little classic "The sky is falling...: 

Seeing things that aren't there Blind Squirrel. 

No where I have I trashed the event. Great to get people along, I like concept of twilight racing and people enjoying an evening of racing. My sole criticism, as was others, was the difficulty of identifying runners and following a race, not the event itself.  This was subsequently acknowledged by the club as pointed out to you. You obviously need a new braille system or maybe it is your whole comprehension that is lacking.

Constructive criticism of one aspect is not a condemnation of the whole thing.   

Whilst on the subject of owners colours, in my opinion they should be sacrosanct and left alone anyway.     

2 hours ago, Gofta said:

The worst aspect of Avondale, apart from the decrepit facilities, is getting in and out of central Auckland.  I was there a couple weeks ago when many participants arrived late due to the Auckland Traffic.  I arrived only just in time to see my horse run, and it was in the 2nd race.  Coming from the Waikato as many in the game do, it is an absolute nightmare, and I for one vowed never to go to the track again.  As for trainers being happy to go there,  I suggest you talk to them now, after that traffic fiasco.  I am sure many long standing members and stakeholders have great memories at Avondale but if we don't bring in young blood the industry will die along with these participants.  Avondale is not conducive to achieving this.

I can concede on traffic , our own trainer feels the same, the only thing I can say is they might like tracking up to Ruakaka and back so many times over latish winter even less.

Interesting comments coming through relating to the Jockeys World Cup Prelude at Ellerslie on Wednesday.  Overall, we were really happy with how the night went.  The on and off-course betting was excellent.  For us, the off-course betting was always going to be a key indicator as that shows how many people were engaged in the new concept.  Offcourse betting was up circa 250k which highlights the success of it.  

Like any new event, there are aspects to improve upon and making the colours/caps more distinguishable is certainly something we will improve.  

These types of concepts only work on certain racedays and our Wednesday, December twilight meeting is a nice fit for it.  

Guest 2Admin2
3 minutes ago, Auckland Racing Club said:

Interesting comments coming through relating to the Jockeys World Cup Prelude at Ellerslie on Wednesday.  Overall, we were really happy with how the night went.  The on and off-course betting was excellent.  For us, the off-course betting was always going to be a key indicator as that shows how many people were engaged in the new concept.  Offcourse betting was up circa 250k which highlights the success of it.  

Like any new event, there are aspects to improve upon and making the colours/caps more distinguishable is certainly something we will improve.  

These types of concepts only work on certain racedays and our Wednesday, December twilight meeting is a nice fit for it.  

Good effort but please leave the colours alone.  To see Bonecrushers colours replaced by lipstick is sacrilege.

2 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Seeing things that aren't there Blind Squirrel. 

No where I have I trashed the event. Great to get people along, I like concept of twilight racing and people enjoying an evening of racing. My sole criticism, as was others, was the difficulty of identifying runners and following a race, not the event itself.  This was subsequently acknowledged by the club as pointed out to you. You obviously need a new braille system or maybe it is your whole comprehension that is lacking.

Constructive criticism of one aspect is not a condemnation of the whole thing.   

Whilst on the subject of owners colours, in my opinion they should be sacrosanct and left alone anyway.     

Perhaps I was to hasty to lump you in with others - must do better there.

However lets look at what you said - "However It was utter inanity to have those colours tonight making it difficult for punters and commentator alike to follow each race.

By all means have the concept but leave the stupidity out."

That passes for CONSTRUCTIVE criticism does it - I'll let others decide on that but I know what my thoughts are and constructive it aint.

BTW - just as an exercise, exactly how many horses on the night would have sported their "Owners colours" - I know all the Te Akau horses would and maybe those raced by Lib Petagna, Kevin Hickman (if they had any running) and a few other larger owners (most likely Spindle would have as it is a special syndicate) however without doing the maths I would suggest if it was 15% I would be surprised. Just how sacrosanct do the owners of the other 850% of horses running believe colours are then.

How far out are those numbers Ted you constructive and relentlessly positive individual.

To further attract the younger generation racing needs to fast forward an electronic tracking system. The technology is available to reproduce the colours or the horse number of the entire field on course wide screens or private mobile phones. This technology would allow lucrative betting during running options for the younger technically savvy brigade. 

2 hours ago, Blind Squirrel said:

Perhaps I was to hasty to lump you in with others - must do better there.

However lets look at what you said - "However It was utter inanity to have those colours tonight making it difficult for punters and commentator alike to follow each race.

By all means have the concept but leave the stupidity out."

That passes for CONSTRUCTIVE criticism does it - I'll let others decide on that but I know what my thoughts are and constructive it aint.

BTW - just as an exercise, exactly how many horses on the night would have sported their "Owners colours" - I know all the Te Akau horses would and maybe those raced by Lib Petagna, Kevin Hickman (if they had any running) and a few other larger owners (most likely Spindle would have as it is a special syndicate) however without doing the maths I would suggest if it was 15% I would be surprised. Just how sacrosanct do the owners of the other 850% of horses running believe colours are then.

How far out are those numbers Ted you constructive and relentlessly positive individual.

All owners colours are Sacrosanct in my opinion BS whether they are stable colours, syndicate colours or individual owner's colours. They are registered, and  paid for for the full purpose of the horse they own to race in those set of colours.

Perhaps you can't recall the heavy criticism following the colours debacle in the "Dulux Wellington Cup" when they used the sponsor's colours on every horse instead of the owners.

Guest 2Admin2
18 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

All owners colours are Sacrosanct in my opinion BS whether they are stable colours, syndicate colours or individual owner's colours. They are registered, and  paid for for the full purpose of the horse they own to race in those set of colours.

Perhaps you can't recall the heavy criticism following the colours debacle in the "Dulux Wellington Cup" when they used the sponsor's colours on every horse instead of the owners.

I agree Ted one step too far with what seems to be a good promotion.  It is akin to Canterbury rugby changing their colours each game to match a sponsors.

I see some irony in the "old guys" reminiscing at some pop-up bar down on the wharf.  Did they remember the colours they wore or do they prefer ones with lipstick on them?  

On another point I think the twilight meeting on that day of the week hits a sweet spot in OZ and NZ.  Shame those punters couldn't reconcile the online form guide colours with reality nor the commentary.

1 hour ago, 2Admin2 said:

I agree Ted one step too far with what seems to be a good promotion.  It is akin to Canterbury rugby changing their colours each game to match a sponsors.

I see some irony in the "old guys" reminiscing at some pop-up bar down on the wharf.  Did they remember the colours they wore or do they prefer ones with lipstick on them?  

On another point I think the twilight meeting on that day of the week hits a sweet spot in OZ and NZ.  Shame those punters couldn't reconcile the online form guide colours with reality nor the commentary.

Nah I reckon Ted and your view re the colours being so important for the vast majority of owners is wrong. Yeah for owners who have their own colours registered it is a big deal.

But for me the fact my horses race in any of the trainers I use colours or not makes absolutely no difference to me. I have no emotional attachment to any of their designs.

PS - rugby and sports teams jerseys are probably a bad example. Look at all the sponsors logos and new colour schemes. I have 20+ Chelsea FC tops at home and the variations is amazing. Ask a warriors fan.....

Guest 2Admin2
32 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

Nah I reckon Ted and your view re the colours being so important for the vast majority of owners is wrong. Yeah for owners who have their own colours registered it is a big deal.

But for me the fact my horses race in any of the trainers I use colours or not makes absolutely no difference to me. I have no emotional attachment to any of their designs.

PS - rugby and sports teams jerseys are probably a bad example. Look at all the sponsors logos and new colour schemes. I have 20+ Chelsea FC tops at home and the variations is amazing. Ask a warriors fan.....

Ches you miss the point.  Owner and trainer colours provide recognition.  If I'm going to punt on a horse I want to follow it during a race.  The form guide says the jockey is wearing x but they are wearing y.  There goes my betting experience!

Just checked the result of first at Ellerslie,the times the other day were mostly what you'd expect of a dead 4 but this 1.26 they just posted  doesn't add up,has it rained all morning down there?