RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Shad

Track records

I think these days track records are forgotten about, one time they were published in every race book, and these days if you happen to ask a club member most of them wouldn't have a clue, some of the metropolitan meetings you can find their track records, but its some of the provincial one's im interested in.

I remember High Regards and Bonecrusher held inside track records at ellerslie at one time .....not to mention some 2.07 2100 performers which outside Nathan performances didn't produce....Eva jensine may be better but the ride is the difference:ph34r:

17 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Means little Shad ,some real dogs have run time and it's a matter of time and place. From memory Mr Illusion ran 55 odd for 1000 and some average types have pushed marks through the grades

Mr illusion was at Riccarton from memory, 3.21 an change for the Melbourne cup, far cry from media puzzles time some years back 3.16.9.

37 minutes ago, Shad said:

Mr illusion was at Riccarton from memory, 3.21 an change for the Melbourne cup, far cry from media puzzles time some years back 3.16.9.

Corndale was a 1.33 miler but Mr Illusion was a sprinter Shad ,following so modests 1.8.86 at Avondale and Sweppshire lads 1200 mark at Ellerslie it didn't mean much, right conditions and tempo most could push these marks...you talk 3200 Sea swift Darius fun and kotare chief figure prominently:)

4 hours ago, hesi said:

NZTR website has most of it

https://www.nzracing.co.nz/RaceInfo/Clubs-And-Courses/2/9/Club.aspx

Corndale 1.32.10

Thanks hesi, not many track records for the smaller clubs on that site, was told the record for 2100m at timaru was 2.08.4 by a horse called Orbiton, can't find any record of this horse, maybe some out there may know.

41 minutes ago, Shad said:

Thanks hesi, not many track records for the smaller clubs on that site, was told the record for 2100m at timaru was 2.08.4 by a horse called Orbiton, can't find any record of this horse, maybe some out there may know.

At a guess  I would say that he was by Orbiter who stood at a stud  at Kaiapoi alongside Greek God. The stud was owned by Dave Allen? It was called Morewenna Stud or something like that. Sedgwick also stood there. 

13 hours ago, Gruff said:

Means little Shad ,some real dogs have run time and it's a matter of time and place. From memory Mr Illusion ran 55 odd for 1000 and some average types have pushed marks through the grades

Probably means that there should be better systems but the best horses should run faster than the others, shouldn't they? If you can find the national records, and it won't be easy, you might be surprised how old some of them are. It seems that thoroughbred horses may not have developed much over the last 30 years, whereas harness racing times continue to improve - very close to a sub-1:50 mile in N.Z. now. As a promotion, what is there in gallops to match their Harness Jewels series?

N.Z.T.R. seems disinterested in record times but what other measures are there that the breed is improving? Stud owners can invest millions in the 'best, international blood-lines' to breed winners but there will be a winner in every race. Doesn't necessarily mean that horses are getting better.

12 hours ago, Insider said:

At a guess  I would say that he was by Orbiter who stood at a stud  at Kaiapoi alongside Greek God. The stud was owned by Dave Allen? It was called Morewenna Stud or something like that. Sedgwick also stood there. 

Apparently it was set in 1997, so wont be orbiter.

19 hours ago, Shad said:

The two fastest NZ 2100m record times recorded were by Alvator at Te Rapa in 1985 running 2:07.03 and Kotare Chief at Ellerslie in 1987 running 2:07.04 both on Fast tracks.

The clubs own raceday racebooks would be the best bet to finding the race records of that club Most used to put them in but nowadays they seem to use the generic form of book printed from the NZTR website .

Best bet would be to contact each club individually as most would have records on tap and should be able to help. 

On 11/11/2017 at 5:39 AM, Insider said:

Morwenstow Stud it was I think. Also had Keekorok another handy stallion.  That Orbiter was a great jumping stallion. Kaimoto by him won a couple of Aussie Grand Nationals.  They were tough nags.

Talking times that Te Akau 2yo Avantage went under 32 seconds for her last 600at Riccarton 2 weeks back. Not bad for a 2yo carrying 56.5kg.

Mr Illusion of course was running on the old straight course at Riccarton and they didn't irrigate then like they do now. Rock hard dust flying and almost straight.  Recipe for sharp times.  Probably a nor wester up his butt as well.

5 minutes ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Morwenstow Stud it was I think. Also had Keekorok another handy stallion.  That Orbiter was a great jumping stallion. Kaimoto by him won a couple of Aussie Grand Nationals.  They were tough nags.

Tom, you are bringing back the memories now. I remember Keekorok, not that they were much good from memory, although I think that he did leave a reasonable sprinter. 

On 11/11/2017 at 11:10 AM, Phar Lap Fan said:

Probably means that there should be better systems but the best horses should run faster than the others, shouldn't they? If you can find the national records, and it won't be easy, you might be surprised how old some of them are. It seems that thoroughbred horses may not have developed much over the last 30 years, whereas harness racing times continue to improve - very close to a sub-1:50 mile in N.Z. now. As a promotion, what is there in gallops to match their Harness Jewels series?

N.Z.T.R. seems disinterested in record times but what other measures are there that the breed is improving? Stud owners can invest millions in the 'best, international blood-lines' to breed winners but there will be a winner in every race. Doesn't necessarily mean that horses are getting better.

Gallops in the 1980's were run on hard and fast tracks hence the faster times. Not like now where irrigation rains reigns! :unsure:

4 minutes ago, Insider said:

Tom, you are bringing back the memories now. I remember Keekorok, not that they were much good from memory, although I think that he did leave a reasonable sprinter. 

Colfix, Leroy Brown and a few other smart ones around the Country circuits of the day.  Greek God left a lot of really good hardy types as well. Greek Magic was a really smart one who stood at Stud there himself later.

45 minutes ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Colfix, Leroy Brown and a few other smart ones around the Country circuits of the day.  Greek God left a lot of really good hardy types as well. Greek Magic was a really smart one who stood at Stud there himself later.

Black horse called ernest by greek god, think helen preston trained him, i thought he was a looker. I think colfix won a kumara nuggets.