RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Banana Split

Trainers and jockeys

So we get this email last night saying horse has drawn outside barrier and the plan is to ease it out of gates and find It's feet and swoop late. Guess what kicks out of barrier and settles 3 and four wide on the pace. I Have no more words. 

2 hours ago, Banana Split said:

So we get this email last night saying horse has drawn outside barrier and the plan is to ease it out of gates and find It's feet and swoop late. Guess what kicks out of barrier and settles 3 and four wide on the pace. I Have no more words. 

just take it on the chin and move on....whats done is done.

Back before cell phones missed a phone call from trainer not to back horse. Took a couple of fifty dollar doubles. Got double and concession. Mate who was part owner and big punter got the phone call and didn't bet. Apparently when he was giving the speech it looked like he was sucking on half a lemon. 

17 minutes ago, Memphis2 said:

Back before cell phones missed a phone call from trainer not to back horse. Took a couple of fifty dollar doubles. Got double and concession. Mate who was part owner and big punter got the phone call and didn't bet. Apparently when he was giving the speech it looked like he was sucking on half a lemon. 

.... Many happy returns Memphis ....Hope you had are great day , even though it was a bit rainy!

6 hours ago, Banana Split said:

Very frustrating, and sometimes its not only the apprentices to, a friend had one of the best on his horse, carried 60kg on a very heavy track, 3 and 4 wide the trip, told connections didnt't handle the conditions, backed up a week later same track and going and won, different rider and a better trip, his comment was he loved the conditions.Makes you wonder.

It's an inexact science this racing malarkey - and things don't always go according to plan. But if the trainer provided that advice in good faith - a follow up call giving an explanation would also been good form perhaps ..

We've all been there in some way - my other half was told by his trainer years ago his horse needed the run this time and he didn't expect it to feature in the finish.  Most of the syndicate kept their hands in their pockets and well ... Memphis2 knows how this story ends ... (but no money in hubby's pocket as he did take the call!)

I have also had the opposite experience - when trainers tell you bloody nothing! You see them on raceday & they still give you no idea how yr horse will go.  This is particularly irritating when - whatever the result - the trainer gives the "yeah I was pretty sure that's what would happen ..."

I guess maybe they don't want to be held responsible for the owner's punt? - or the owner's b#tching if trainer gets it wrong? - but not being a big punter & having never taken my trainers to task for getting it wrong I personally find the "zero opinion" philosophy frustrating.   The trainer has a better idea than anyone how the horse will go so I'd rather receive an honest pre-race opinion even if sometimes it doesn't pan out.

J.  

I understand the trainers not wanting moaning owners when things don't go to plan. And I'm a realist when it comes to the myriad of things that can go wrong in a race.

BUT as a punter I really want the best information about MY horse. If I have a punt based on info - and it misses - I will live with that without complaint. When the horse wins/goes great and I haven't been given good info AND I hear the stable were confident etc etc - that's the end of that relationship

41 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

I understand the trainers not wanting moaning owners when things don't go to plan. And I'm a realist when it comes to the myriad of things that can go wrong in a race.

BUT as a punter I really want the best information about MY horse. If I have a punt based on info - and it misses - I will live with that without complaint. When the horse wins/goes great and I haven't been given good info AND I hear the stable were confident etc etc - that's the end of that relationship

Well said.  That's it in a nutshell Col.   

We never get a follow up email about the run and only find out it is even nominated when get email from NZRB. Can't move horse as owner has 20 percent. Is it not to much of and ask to get an email after they run in this day and age.

9 minutes ago, Banana Split said:

We never get a follow up email about the run and only find out it is even nominated when get email from NZRB. Can't move horse as owner has 20 percent. Is it not to much of and ask to get an email after they run in this day and age.

Did you mean trainer has 20%? If that's the case the other 80% has the ruling say. As Jess says 'it's an inexact science' but you can still insist on getting a fair return for your involvement and that includes regular progress reports.

Have you tried givinghim/her a call?  I don't know who your trainer is but I can think of one I was involved with years back who wasn't great with giving us the info - but always happy to talk if I phoned him and really accommodating if I wanted to visit the horse so I could report back to the syndicate - couldnt be more hospitable.  I just learned - rightly or wrongly - as the manager of the syndicate, if I wanted any sort of info to pass on to the members - I was gonna have to do most of the running!   

I was a little bit disappointed but once I had figured that out, it's how we rolled - I figured at the trainer's stage of things he was unlikely to change and it was better than getting frustrated waiting by the phone for a call which more often than not wasn't going to come!  

17 hours ago, Memphis2 said:

Onya Jack. Thanks. Quite  a good day here in Sydney

Feet up reading how the Wallabies whacked the Abs.Oh dear

Well they had to get one Memphis. We put out the second stringers to give them every possible. Poor old Stephen Moore would have been suicidal if he hadn't got a win before giving it up. Not like they actually won anything though is it....?? :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Blue said:

Did you mean trainer has 20%? If that's the case the other 80% has the ruling say. As Jess says 'it's an inexact science' but you can still insist on getting a fair return for your involvement and that includes regular progress reports.

It's a MMP owenship arrangement ha