RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
J May

Frozen Semen

I see an announcement on today’s Grnz page as of immediate effect they are no longer importing frozen semen and getting out of the game.

You would have to wonder what the reason and thinking behind this is. 

Very short sighted in my opinion.

10 hours ago, J May said:

I see an announcement on today’s Grnz page as of immediate effect they are no longer importing frozen semen and getting out of the game.

You would have to wonder what the reason and thinking behind this is. 

Very short sighted in my opinion.

They had no business being studmasters. And they were poor quality in their attempt at it. They are there to administer racing, not being breeders. This was just another example of their poor governance, and sticking their beaks where its not wanted.

I don’t disagree that the product they currently have is rubbish.

it is the responsibility of the association to facilitate breeding.

i quote from the Grnz website under ‘objectives of the association’. The association was established to promote and advance greyhound racing, registration, breeding, safety and welfare in NZ..... they may as well use their marketing department to update their website then.

Lowdown what are you implying ?

Really, It's a silly statement to make.

The GRNZ frozen semen has been available for many years (at least 10 to 15 years that i can remember probably longer) and the now former chairman only got on the Board about 5 years ago and was Chair for even less.

How did he benefit in way different to anyone else.  

In all honesty the GRNZ frozen concept was a great idea and made it easier for NZ breeders to access sires without the hassle of having to import it which is more costly. Some sires may not have been the flavour of the month with some people but they were commercial sires and it is gave breeders choice, everyone has different opinions. The only real problem as I see it is simple - supply and demand - the breeding industry here is relatively small and it just isn't sustainable to purchase and hold straws especially when they become outdated so to speak.  

11 hours ago, Flabbergasted said:

Lowdown what are you implying ?

Really, It's a silly statement to make.

The GRNZ frozen semen has been available for many years (at least 10 to 15 years that i can remember probably longer) and the now former chairman only got on the Board about 5 years ago and was Chair for even less.

How did he benefit in way different to anyone else.  

In all honesty the GRNZ frozen concept was a great idea and made it easier for NZ breeders to access sires without the hassle of having to import it which is more costly. Some sires may not have been the flavour of the month with some people but they were commercial sires and it is gave breeders choice, everyone has different opinions. The only real problem as I see it is simple - supply and demand - the breeding industry here is relatively small and it just isn't sustainable to purchase and hold straws especially when they become outdated so to speak.  

Disagree, the former Chairman John McCather, not sure of spelling, was elected Chairman a lot longer than 5 yrs ago, try at least 10/15yrs. And that was about the time the NZGRA decided to become breeders by importing frozen semen, and going into competition against commercial and private breeders. They stuck their snouts where it didn't belong. Their mandate is to administer Greyhound racing, and they had no business becoming Studmasters.

Flabbergasted, Chairman Rendle benefited because he was/is hugely involved in racing, breeding, winning more than any other Chairman I'm aware of, he was the one who ordered the semen, negotiated the price with the studmasters, then he'd put his owners/breeders hat on and get first dibs..i understand he would also announce a 'clearance sale' of frozen semen and then proceed to buy up at that reduced price and repeat the cycle. 

1 minute ago, Lowdown said:

Flabbergasted, Chairman Rendle benefited because he was/is hugely involved in racing, breeding, winning more than any other Chairman I'm aware of, he was the one who ordered the semen, negotiated the price with the studmasters, then he'd put his owners/breeders hat on and get first dibs..i understand he would also announce a 'clearance sale' of frozen semen and then proceed to buy up at that reduced price and repeat the cycle. 

Lets get one thing clear Lowdown, Rendle was not responsible for the NZGRA importing frozen semen and setting up its own bank. He inherited it. The semen business run by the NZGRA was under the watch of McCarther, and has been around for at least 10/15 yrs.

43 minutes ago, aquaman said:

Disagree, the former Chairman John McCather, not sure of spelling, was elected Chairman a lot longer than 5 yrs ago, try at least 10/15yrs. And that was about the time the NZGRA decided to become breeders by importing frozen semen, and going into competition against commercial and private breeders. They stuck their snouts where it didn't belong. Their mandate is to administer Greyhound racing, and they had no business becoming Studmasters.

Incorrect John, they were not “sticking their snouts where it didn’t belong”. GRNZ’s objectives are to promote ... and breeding. This avenue enabled small time breeders to access these straws when previously wouldn’t have been able to.

Ill say it again, complete lack of foresight from those in head office.

6 minutes ago, J May said:

Incorrect John, they were not “sticking their snouts where it didn’t belong”. GRNZ’s objectives are to promote ... and breeding. This avenue enabled small time breeders to access these straws when previously wouldn’t have been able to.

Ill say it again, complete lack of foresight from those in head office.

Yes, and the key word here is PROMOTE, not take over. If you condone the NZGRA becoming Studmasters, then you will not have a problem with them becoming Trainers. In fact if you follow this logic, the NZGRA can take over everything, and all you Owners and Trainers can find something else to do. And please explain why small time breeders need a helping hand to access frozen semen, its available to everyone on the free market. No, I will say it again, the NZGRA had no business setting themselves up in competition with breeders. It is not their function.

3 hours ago, aquaman said:

Yes, and the key word here is PROMOTE, not take over. If you condone the NZGRA becoming Studmasters, then you will not have a problem with them becoming Trainers. In fact if you follow this logic, the NZGRA can take over everything, and all you Owners and Trainers can find something else to do. And please explain why small time breeders need a helping hand to access frozen semen, its available to everyone on the free market. No, I will say it again, the NZGRA had no business setting themselves up in competition with breeders. It is not their function.

You logic is that convincing, I cannot debate with you.

Aquaman, I was never referring to John Macarthur as lowdown has retorted it was the latter former Chairman (Rendle) to whom I gathered he was referring. I don't know either and have no affiliation with GRNZ either. The way I see it is that they were not in competition with breeders but simply trying to foster and promote breeding in NZ by making it easier and more accessible for them.    

I will no longer argue with anyone on the subject. It is easy to see that some have issues with certain people or controlling bodies withinin the industry and let it cloud their judgement when it comes to discussing such topics.