RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
porky

Go Winnie

50 minutes ago, crustyngrizzly said:

Obviously i am not well educated so if possible could you put that into words that a 2nd year fifth former can digest easily.Thank you.

Essentially those agreements like the China one say that if someone else gets a benefit in an FTA with NZ then the Chinese one will be amended so they get the same benefit .

Basically if the South Koreans have the right to buy land here then the Chinese do as well.

If it is right it will be a bloody minefield.  I am no fan of outsiders being able to buy land here myself but hey they (Labour) signed the FTA with them.

Even if they are successful the real losers here will be Aucklanders with demand for houses there being very much dampened by this move.  So if I am sitting there having just paid $1.5m for my shack in Jaffaland I am not going to be too impressed(and neither is the bank!) when its market value drops to $1.1m because there is no demand from foreign buyers.  Throw in the 10c extra I am paying for my gas and I would be getting a bit grumpy with Teethcinda and Winnie.

That is a massive gamble to potentially alienate a hell of a lot of voters in Auckland.  No wonder Auckland was basically the only NZ City to vote en masse for the Nats.

And even those who have owned their houses for a day or two and seen their wealth explode are not going to be too happy to see (1) their worth decimated and (2) the prospect of capital gains on any profit they do make when the working party delivers the inevitable recommendations.

It is all right for us in a place like the West Coast because (1) there are few if any foreign buyers and (2)capital gains, if any, are very modest. Our primary producers, Farmers, Fishermen, Miners and Tourist operators might not be so happy if China places trade sanctions in retaliation to the rules being amended however.

Actually there is a similar deal in most of those Maori settlements.  If (say)Tainui get a better deal on something than Ngai Tahu did then the Government has to top up the Ngai Tahu settlement.  Ngai Tahu have been back the trough more than once I am sure.

Makes me sick to be fair but I guess it is pretty easy to be generous when it is not your own money you are spending(and both sides of the political spectrum have done it so it is not just one faction).

Not that I have anything against Ngai Tahu or whoever - they just drove a hard bargain and the government of the day rolled over.

1 hour ago, hesi said:

Part of an article by Hamish Rutherford, Sept 2017

"Daniel Kalderimis, a partner law firm Chapman Tripp said renegotiating the South Korean trade deal would, in effect, take care of the issue.

Kalderimis said the Korean FTA applied a non-discrimination rule to investors before they made an investment. China's FTA did not have such a clause, but because of the most favoured nation clause, Chinese investors have the same rights as those from South Korea.

If New Zealand renegotiated the South Korean deal "such that there was no preferential treatment, so we basically said, 'you can't invest either', then if Koreans were on that basis treated the same as Chinese investors, then I would agree, there's no problem [with China]," Kalderimis said."

hesi is it going to stop the chinese  buying new homes

Just read an article written by Stephen Franks that implies that Chinese investors must be treated in the same manner as Australian investors.

If thats correct then troubled times may lay ahead.

Article was written in 2013 and was based on what the Labour was saying then and what the FTA signed by Goff said.

They make promises knowing that laws or rules prevent them from keeping their promises. So they promise the moon and the stupid star gazing voters believe them. They have an easy out - the FTA doesn't allow us to ban them sorry folks, but thanks for the votes suckers!

Housing will be cheaper and more affordable. Yeah right! Usually when recession hits, asset prices drop! At least they will be able to claim they achieved one of their goals ! I think it's called "Voodoo Economics" or something similar. I hope it all works out but I fear the Maverick will be a spoiler. 

9 minutes ago, hesi said:

The policy says to direct the Police to respect the spirit of the laws passed to assist racing, whatever discretion that may provide or mean, not obstruct the Police, not instruct racing clubs to break the law

That's about as much use as the rest of the policy. Direct the Police, IRD and Treasury to obey the law? Seriously? What kind of policy is that?

1 hour ago, Trump said:

They make promises knowing that laws or rules prevent them from keeping their promises. So they promise the moon and the stupid star gazing voters believe them. They have an easy out - the FTA doesn't allow us to ban them sorry folks, but thanks for the votes suckers!

Exactly.  They should be had up for false pretences given that they know they are promising what they cannot deliver.  Half the voters will have backed Winston on the basis of him stopping foreign ownership while all the way he knew he would not be capable of carrying it out.  Still Winston has  a proven track record of being economical with the truth.

5 minutes ago, hesi said:

I see even hard core right wingers like Mathew Hooton and bless his blue underpants Mike Hosking are starting to say this might just be a good Government.  Time for some of the old right wing dinosaurs on this site to open their very parochial eyes and leave the hysterics out

They may just turn out alright but to be fair they have been in power for about 24hrs so i would say they are having bob each way.

Based on rhetoric they should do well however the proof will be in the pudding.

1 hour ago, Trump said:

Housing will be cheaper and more affordable. Yeah right! Usually when recession hits, asset prices drop! At least they will be able to claim they achieved one of their goals ! I think it's called "Voodoo Economics" or something similar. I hope it all works out but I fear the Maverick will be a spoiler. 

Here's a "Claytons" interview if ever there was one.....did she actually say anything.....? :rolleyes:

https://f.tlcollect.com/fr2/617/23717/Lifestyle_Views_Article_1.doc

Promising what they cannot deliver all right.  Winston's bottom line - he would lead the entry into Pike River.  Today's Greymouth paper Andrew Little(Minister for Pike River) saying 'he might become privy to information from Solid Energy which will mean it is impossible to re-enter'.

It has started already after only 24 hours.

2 hours ago, hesi said:

I see even hard core right wingers like Mathew Hooton and bless his blue underpants Mike Hosking are starting to say this might just be a good Government.  Time for some of the old right wing dinosaurs on this site to open their very parochial eyes and leave the hysterics out

Agree 100%. 

Sadly, there's not much chance of that happening as it's very hard to chance a lifetime of habits.

Take me for example, look at all the marriages I had.

11 hours ago, hesi said:

Sorry, you took me by surprise, actually posting yourself, instead of just putting 'likes' on every right whinger post.

The Chinese will find a way around it probably, so they are not listed as the overseas buyer, much in the same way, according to the stats only 3% of property is purchased by overseas buyers:rolleyes:

the question was will they be still allowed to buy new homes  

1 hour ago, hesi said:

Hopefully not, unless they are NZ citizens or residents, that is the intent of making the changes, to try and reduce the demand from speculative investment

wrong they are  not allowed to buy existing properties same as aust     i wonder hesi if the chinese bought say 50 acres of land to develop and build would the govt negotiate to buy houses from them as they have said they would from other developers

See he has scored another large overpayment (Ardern also along for the ride) and once again an administrative error. Hope they were the ones that called it. Repaid apparently but maybe they need to stop filling in the paperwork in te reo.