RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
ghostie

Champion/Murphy vs Ashburton RC

Agree with this. Sent correspondence to NZTR asking the same question on Monday and have had no response at all - not even an automated reply. These trainers need help to find a suitable property to carry on training from if anyone has any ideas. It is an urgent situation.

20171005_084610.png

Totally agree as well. This relates to the banning of Champion & Murphy Racing from using the Ashburton track to train their horses. It appears to be a case of a petty personality clash that has escalated over the years into a farcical situation. 

Trainers who want the best for their horses and owners appear to be a great inconvenience to the Ashburton Racing Club Committee. It's sickening that a club committee has the power to potentially destroy the business of trainers who are providing 'product' for racing and NZTR won't/can't intervene for the benefit of racing.

This decision will have minimal impact on the lives of those who made it, they still get to go about their businesses unhindered. But it has an immense and hugely stressful impact on Danny and Kezia, their lives, their business and the interests of the many owners who value them and their contribution to racing. 

Racing has an obligation to care for those who dedicate themselves and their lives to it.

I've also emailed NZTR and had no response.

3 long serving committee members resigned months ago over the way that Champion and Murphy were treated and word is a few more might after the races on the 21st of October.The committee is fragmented at the moment and has been for a while,I have heard talk that Lawyers are now being involved so I will be careful in what I say but there does appear to be a couple of committee members that have what I would call a personal vendetta against Champion and Murphy,but others may not call it a vendetta.It just depends on what you interpret as a vendetta.

It is such a shame as Ashburton used to be such a strong training centre.We had Jim Lalor,Peter and Dawn Williams Jim Melton and many other top trainers.Not to mention the top jockeys that plied there trade from Ashburton.

On 10/5/2017 at 1:20 PM, Patiti said:

Would the RIU be able to get involved??????

My understanding is of such matters of is that the NZTR have to be informed of such matters by the Club so that proper procedures have taken place.,Not given the bums rush from the  NZTR chief executive Bernard Saundry and RIU general manager Mike Godber both who have said thye issue was of a private and commercial nature between the club and the training partnership. They need to be reminded of the Stratford debacle of a few years back and the consequences of that Club and some trainers.

There are always two sides to every story and this case is no exception.Mr Champion and Ms Murphy have been given more than enough chances to redeem their behaviour,but to no avail.The previous track manager resigned after years of verbal abuse and intimidation and in one instance a physical assult by Mr Champion.From what I believe the present track manager and staff are enduring similar treatment.It's hard to fathom that given the 'support' that these trainers supposedly have that not one of their fellow trainers have come forward with an offer to use their facilities.Could it be that trainers don't want to help because the Champion/Murphy reputaion preceeds them?? 

9 minutes ago, muntermagpie said:

There are always two sides to every story and this case is no exception.Mr Champion and Ms Murphy have been given more than enough chances to redeem their behaviour,but to no avail.The previous track manager resigned after years of verbal abuse and intimidation and in one instance a physical assult by Mr Champion.From what I believe the present track manager and staff are enduring similar treatment.It's hard to fathom that given the 'support' that these trainers supposedly have that not one of their fellow trainers have come forward with an offer to use their facilities.Could it be that trainers don't want to help because the Champion/Murphy reputaion preceeds them?? 

From what I heard the Verbal Abuse went both ways and was all to do with the state of the track.I thought i was in the know a little bit here but haven't heard of any physical assault.No matter what the circumstances there is no need for that.

You must admit that the track as a whole is probably one of the worst in the country,and yet apparently track fees went up.What I would like to know is are all the oncourse training  barns and facilities being fully utilised and if not is it because of the state of the tracks .

Also I know that one of the committee members that resigned wasn't very happy with the response from the previous track manager when he questioned him about the state of the track and training fees.

As I have stated previously, there are many examples of those who run racecourses having disputes with licenceholders, and that the failure of these cases  being able to be referred to an independent adjudicator, with no personal ties to either party, directly leads to an escalation of the division between said parties, and often leads to the perception(sometimes fully justified) that certain parties can be treated poorly and have their concerns completely ignored.  

There is no industry leadership in this area. I've learnt those that run and manage these racecourses  put their own personal agendas to the fore and then get entrenched in their view,and conflict escalates. Its pathetic,but its reality, Not that long ago I  specifically referred to 5  central south island racecourses where disputes have occurred. These disputes need independent adjudicators,mind you that's a blatantly obvious statement that continues to be ignored. 

Yes,Richie,the assault did take place ,charges were laid,but was settled out of court.If said Ashburton track is as bad as some in the galloping code suggest it is I would wonder why they would want to have access to work on it??Seems a little bit two faced.On a personal level,I have always found the ARC very accomadating and never had an issue when working horses on the track.

AAgree with muntermagpie two sides to this story but only one seems to be aired. I would imagine the ARC does not want to air dirty laundry in public as it would be an embarrassment to the other party. Why would these trainers want back on the Ashburton track if it is in such bad condition. Perhaps the condition is because of the amount of galloping these trainers seem to have to do on the grass regardless of the weather conditions. They treat the track as their own private training track with no regard for the health and safety of other users and show no respect to the track staff who have to juggle maintaining a training track as well as a racing surface. I am sure there are other clubs that would welcome the income their  trackfees would provide.

13 hours ago, Debra said:

AAgree with muntermagpie two sides to this story but only one seems to be aired. I would imagine the ARC does not want to air dirty laundry in public as it would be an embarrassment to the other party. Why would these trainers want back on the Ashburton track if it is in such bad condition. Perhaps the condition is because of the amount of galloping these trainers seem to have to do on the grass regardless of the weather conditions. They treat the track as their own private training track with no regard for the health and safety of other users and show no respect to the track staff who have to juggle maintaining a training track as well as a racing surface. I am sure there are other clubs that would welcome the income their  trackfees would provide.

Has ashburton taken this dispute to an independent authority to broker some sort of agreement(codes of practice)?  If not,why not?    If you think matters in which personalities are conflicted are all of a sudden going to have a happy outcome to whatever the perceived problems are,then you are expecting something that is not going to happen.  

Your last comment about other clubs welcoming their income if they moved elsewhere.  I'm not sure whether you are serious there, or just being smart.  You must know in the real world that racecourses refuse to accept trainers who have had disputes at other courses,as I was told some time ago was the case here. I don't know the personalities concerned here,but even I know who some of those racecourses are that will not take them just based on a one sided story.  I think your living in Disneyland if you think most of those who run racecourses run them to obtain income. They are all about personalities from my observations.

To all who have issues like Champion and Murphy don't give your clubs and Track Managers the courtesy of rectifying their unsafe tracks go straight to work safe and let them take the Hassel out of it for you.

Can any one tell me why Murphy is being punished is it because she is a female?

The club cannot be touched they do not have to give a reason and it's not a right to renew your permit to train so tomorrow they could terminate all licenses to train on their tracks and all trainers are out its as easy as that. Read the rules it's interesting reading. We should call them the untouchables lol. 

They have just reduced the numbers of horses so the Track Manager can cope as it's quite a juggling act for the poor man to cope with 50 horses now down to 25 unless Te Akau are visiting.

Have already tried that Leo. 2/3 years ago many of us, some better equipped than me in these matters, offered to mediate between both parties.

This was and has been continuously refused since then.

Poor form by ARC I know that NZTR, NZTA and RIU have been involved in some capacity but the training partnership have done nothing that warrants charges or investigation.

Do ARC want to continue having horses trained there, probably not.

It's like it's our playground play with our ball to our rules or don't play at all!!

I feel there has been little acknowledgement towards the owners these trainers train for, the horses they have and the desire to have a facility close to them to watch the development of their horses. I understand they are local people why would they now wish to support this club. They don't get choices of changing trainers as there's only one professional trainer now left at Ashburton. There was no thought as too where these trainers could go, how many places could take 20 horses tomorrow here in the south island for these owners. Great face of New Zealand Racing and experience for these owners.

59 minutes ago, spiderrider said:

I feel there has been little acknowledgement towards the owners these trainers train for, the horses they have and the desire to have a facility close to them to watch the development of their horses. I understand they are local people why would they now wish to support this club. They don't get choices of changing trainers as there's only one professional trainer now left at Ashburton. There was no thought as too where these trainers could go, how many places could take 20 horses tomorrow here in the south island for these owners. Great face of New Zealand Racing and experience for these owners.

They should of thought of that before they started making trouble for themselves... don't try to paint them as pure as the driven snow...something has gone on and as i said there is two sides to every story.