RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
aquaman

R.I.P. Fekitoa.

The high class son of Nina's Girl ran his last race at Waikato on Thursday night after injuring his near foreleg at the catch. He was a very good dog that never reached his full potential.

I had a small wager on him, and saw to my sadness his failure to make the dia's, being taken away on the golf cart. Consequently the first thing I did friday morning was look up the Stipe report to find out what happened to him. Unfortunately this was of no help, just making note of the fact Fekitoa was injured at the catch. There was no standown given for the dog, there was no mention he had been euthanised at the track. So I looked up the author of the report and rang him. I asked what happened to Fekitoa, why no stand down?. Was then informed poor Fekitoa had been euthanised at the track. So my next question was, why wasn't this noted in the report, answer, NZGRA policy is not to mention it in Stipes reports.

Ok ,I get it, it is to hide the ugly side of sports injuries, and to sanitise these public reports so as not to give ammunition to animal right activists. Now forgive me from feeling that this is not right, it feels corrupt, and at the very least, is designed to mislead the public. This is the actions NSW were guilty of, sanitising Stewards reports, this is why the NSW Board of Greyhound racing were sacked. 

I really find it hard to believe, that at a institutional level they are purposely leaving out facts that do not suit the agenda. And I have to ask why. Every thinking sane person knows there are risks when competing in all sports, and as in Greyhound racing there will always be the occasional fatality. Horses have it, Motor racing have it, Boxers have it, Mountain climbers have it, it is the nature of the beast. In Greyhound racing, there would probably be no more than 2/3 month throughout the country that need to be euthanised on humane grounds, so why hide it. Joe public will except this, especially when its at a very tiny level.

I bring this up, as all Vets at the track will have independent reports on dogs euthanised by them, so there is a paper trail out there that is not matching the Stipe reports, and will be very easily proven by anybody with an animal rights agenda with a view of shutting down dog racing. This is a very dangerous policy to take that has the potential to strip the NZGRA of any credibility just as happened in NSW. Imagine if there was a Ministerial Enquiry into dog racing, and the Stipes are called to testify, and asked the question, why wasn't dogs such as Fekitoa mentioned in the Stipes report as having been put down, answer, we have been instructed not to include it.

Better to tell the truth me thinks, this has the potential to do great harm, and its important that Stipe reports clearly and honestly reflect the days happenings.

John, I am sure there are far more important things to focus on in the industry. You have correctly pointed out that there is a paper trail with the correct details available if anyone wishes to find the details as you were able to.

What do you want a report on the evening news each time.

23 hours ago, GOM said:

John, I am sure there are far more important things to focus on in the industry. You have correctly pointed out that there is a paper trail with the correct details available if anyone wishes to find the details as you were able to.

What do you want a report on the evening news each time.

I think this is important. If there is a lesson to take from the NSW situation, then it is to honestly portray the race meetings in the Stipe reports. When you deliberately set out to mislead in the reports by omitting significant things such as the death of dogs as a result of racing, then your credibility flys out the window, not to mention the lack of respect for the dog. Also its important for industry participants to be able to make informed decisions on dangerous tracks.

No I don't expect it to be on the evening news, only in the reports on the days meeting. I do expect them to be honest, and up front warts and all. Once you start doctoring the reports, then they become uncreditable, and misleading. Quite frankly, I find it surprising anybody would try and hide something when there is no good reason to hide it. As I pointed out, there will always be fatalities, this is fact. Its the amount thats key. 2/3 a month not a big problem, just a very small fraction of the number of dogs that have raced in the month, but when you have a high level at one track, then everybody needs to know. My opinion is, this policy has the potential to come back and haunt them down the track.

John,    I don't think debating this here is doing either of us any good so we will have to differ but surely as long as the industry keep accurate records that are available to anyone who enquires they are not trying to hide things. Also they do not, by law, have to even publish the stipes report. Would you expect to find the same information on the Gallops and Ben Hur's? 

Unless you have evidence that the 2/3 per month is correct it is probably a good idea to stop reiterating this also. "So the trainer knows where to nominate" is suggestive also that there are tracks in NZ that we should be not nominating on. Like to name one? That will save me a lot of worry.

All from me on the subject

2 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

What a negative dork,  john has a valid point, there is too much done in the shadows in the greyhound industry, that's why there are so many dodgy pikey's involved in the sport,all back stabbing, threatening each other and fighting in the carpark, a lot of the people are more inbred than the dogs.

So many dodgy Pikey's uber's are you sure you are not getting the codes mixed up.

6 minutes ago, dogrug said:

What part is struggling? Scooby?

And don't say the getting along bit.

I can think of 1, but from what i've heard it's getting fixed. lol

It is struggling and you guys just fight amongst yourselves in here just niggle all the time... it helps nothing.

29 minutes ago, dogrug said:

So it is the just the getting along bit. lol

Put your facts up re Struggling  Scooby.

No I don't need to its you who is burying your head in the sand if you think everything is rosy...cheers....

1 hour ago, GOM said:

John,    I don't think debating this here is doing either of us any good so we will have to differ but surely as long as the industry keep accurate records that are available to anyone who enquires they are not trying to hide things. Also they do not, by law, have to even publish the stipes report. Would you expect to find the same information on the Gallops and Ben Hur's? 

Unless you have evidence that the 2/3 per month is correct it is probably a good idea to stop reiterating this also. "So the trainer knows where to nominate" is suggestive also that there are tracks in NZ that we should be not nominating on. Like to name one? That will save me a lot of worry.

All from me on the subject

No, I do not have any evidence for 2/3 dead dogs per month, just an educated guess. It may be less. And no, I am not suggesting any tracks are worse than others, just that if you do not have access to this information, then you will not know what tracks are dodgy.

1 hour ago, Flagship uberalles said:

What a negative dork,  john has a valid point, there is too much done in the shadows in the greyhound industry, that's why there are so many dodgy pikey's involved in the sport,all back stabbing, threatening each other and fighting in the carpark, a lot of the people are more inbred than the dogs.

I didn't say he didn't have a valid point.but we will await John to have a go at gom questions . Facts are people will always fight and yes In  fighting will occur that be in any code . Flagship where is this in breeding ? Name calling and back stabbing a lot of that is coming from the likes of you so you also are not without a case as Scooby would put it. Funny thing is a greyhound trainer she/he gave most of what the reporter said for the piece in the Sunday star times goes to show how low some are willing to go to bring down the game .sour grapes,  tall poppy ,etc . And they are not very clever running round the tracks telling every Tom Richard and Harry . Unfortunately in there own life is not so clean so they are willing to pick on other just to make them feel better,liked,wanted etc.

2 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Mickey O'Neil for example

1 hour ago, I know said:

I didn't say he didn't have a valid point.but we will await John to have a go at gom questions . Facts are people will always fight and yes In  fighting will occur that be in any code . Flagship where is this in breeding ? Name calling and back stabbing a lot of that is coming from the likes of you so you also are not without a case as Scooby would put it. Funny thing is a greyhound trainer she/he gave most of what the reporter said for the piece in the Sunday star times goes to show how low some are willing to go to bring down the game .sour grapes,  tall poppy ,etc . And they are not very clever running round the tracks telling every Tom Richard and Harry . Unfortunately in there own life is not so clean so they are willing to pick on other just to make them feel better,liked,wanted etc.

If anyone is stupid enough to be doing something they shouldn't be, than its their own fault. Dont blame that on others

I have not read this forum for a month or so but nothing much seems to have changed. Playing the man and not the ball still seems the norm for some.  Aquaman seems to have a valid point.   If leadership wanted to clean up this sport they could? From a distance it seems the most used tools in the toolkit are the broom and the blinkers.  This approach then reflects on everyone involved. 

4 hours ago, Cool said:

Take fekitoas name off this if your just gonna argue amongst yourselves. Have some respect.

Not sure what this post means. Are you saying it never happened, or are you saying it is disrespectful to mention something that did happen because it involved the death of a dog you had a connection with.   Or are you saying you agree with the point  originally made?  Your post has several likes. What is it they like? Is it because the thread has wandered off topic.  Maybe you need to clarify what you mean as it has me scratching my head why your so sensitive to something factual.

I'm saying a post that was about the dog has turned into what usually happens you all get off topic and start picking the shit out of each other. Every thread just seems to be a new excuse to talk shit. The post started off great then a bunch of you start shitting on each other once again. 

Still the same, the shit kickers never put their names to anything.

About time racecafe should make these gutless people to put up their real name. And John you are so right about this, be up front and it can't come back and bite your arse.

This is why a lot of people like me will never get back into the game. All my punting is on Aussie dogs, 400m and over.

Brian Richards close to 35yrs  as an owner or trainer    

Dyna Alk, R.I.P. Once again, another omission from the Stipes report. Broken leg, no standown. Double speak for dog euthanized at track. You would think they would show respect for the poor dog, and at least acknowledge its passing. But the facts are, dogs that are put down at the track, are less important in the eyes of the Stipes than breaches of the dress code that get plenty of mention. Dead dogs do not rate. Sad.

Two more possible death notices. After reading a very poor, misleading Stipes report from Wanganui, Friday 20th Oct , I see Allegro Beau, and Hu Xian both referred to Vet with no report on their condition. Then there is no stand down for either. This is RIU double speak for dogs euthanised. I can only assume that there was  two fatalities at Wanganui on Friday night, both of which were deemed, not important enough to mention. If these dogs are alive, can someone clarify this please. The Stipe reports are at best politicised and misleading.

7 hours ago, aquaman said:

Two more possible death notices. After reading a very poor, misleading Stipes report from Wanganui, Friday 20th Oct , I see Allegro Beau, and Hu Xian both referred to Vet with no report on their condition. Then there is no stand down for either. This is RIU double speak for dogs euthanised. I can only assume that there was  two fatalities at Wanganui on Friday night, both of which were deemed, not important enough to mention. If these dogs are alive, can someone clarify this please. The Stipe reports are at best politicised and misleading.

The result of each dog would be on the stipes personal report. May I recommend if you want to know, that you privately contact the trainers of the dogs, instead of a forum open for all eyes and you can here the direct answer from them rather than assumptions which many people make. As if they did sadly have to get euthanised im sure connections would be very upset of the loss and shouldnt have to see it posted on here like previous dogs have been. Yes stipe reports are often misleading I don't doubt that at all but im sure people use common sense in this matter of no given stand down.

15 hours ago, Testify said:

The result of each dog would be on the stipes personal report. May I recommend if you want to know, that you privately contact the trainers of the dogs, instead of a forum open for all eyes and you can here the direct answer from them rather than assumptions which many people make. As if they did sadly have to get euthanised im sure connections would be very upset of the loss and shouldnt have to see it posted on here like previous dogs have been. Yes stipe reports are often misleading I don't doubt that at all but im sure people use common sense in this matter of no given stand down.

Not interested in reading the secret reports, only interested in the public report. I'm sure connections are upset at losing their dogs, its happened to myself on more than one occasion, so I no the feeling all to well.

Once upon a time not that to long ago, 3/4 yrs to be precise, stipes reports made note of dogs that were euthanised as a result of injuries sustained at the track. Now they bury it for political purpose, and that is to create an impression dogs do not die as a result of racing accidents. I understand all this, I also understand its an attempt to not give oxygen to people that want to stop racing. The problem I have with this attitude is, that by misleading the public, the damage for your code will be much greater than simply reporting the facts.

You mention the word common sense, and i'm sure most thinking people will realise that the occasional accident happens at all tracks resulting in the death of a dog. But if you are going to delete this fact from the Stipes report, then how are you going to judge whats an exceptable amount of deaths attributable to racing. The second point that I will make is, the fact that this sensitive information is been buried in a secret report will ultimately do far more damage to your code rather than simply reporting the facts. It is the doctoring of reports that brought about the sacking of the entire board of NSW Greyhounds 18 mths ago, and almost spelt the end of the code.