RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Dockers

Rogerson

7 hours ago, Dockers said:

Masque wins an 800 metre 2yo race and Rodgy say quote "We think he is the next Savabeel". Is he losing the plot or has it been gone for a while. Seriously ? 

That's normal, he's had the "best horse he's ever had" every year for the last thirty years

12 minutes ago, chevy86 said:

Rogie spouted the exact same line with one that won at Tauranga a year to 18months ago--think it may have been Ferrando ( if not it was one that had won at the Pirongia picnic meeting.)

Think it was the one that won at Pirongia. Forget it's name. 

9 hours ago, Lloyd Vivian said:

I'd be paying a lot of attention to any Savabeel that can win the first 2yo race of the season. Just might be a bit special. I'd also be interested to know the percentage of Savabeel 2yo winners that have gone on to be above average?? Someone got the stats?

Pasadena Girl comes to mind being a G1 winning 2yo over a mile as well as a Listed 2yo winner over 1000m (both in Aussie), Hasahalo Stakes winning 2yo, Gold Fever Matamata Breeders' winner.

Some of his better performers did win a race at 2 including Sangster, Soriano, Hall Of Fame, Savvy Nature, Addictive Nature, Lady Kipling, Nurse Kichen etc, but were just minor races.

Definitely not a noted 2yo sire, Masque's full sister is Costume who was a dual G1 winner as an older horse over 2000m.

Interesting to note Savabeel had three 2YO SW's last year, more than any other NZ based sire. No other NZ non shuttle stallion has sired more 2YO sw's with Pins and Savabeel both having  sired 8 2YO sw's.

1 hour ago, fitzy said:

Interesting to note Savabeel had three 2YO SW's last year, more than any other NZ based sire. No other NZ non shuttle stallion has sired more 2YO sw's with Pins and Savabeel both having  sired 8 2YO sw's.

Generally just a very good sire isn't he!, I have Hassahalo and Gold Fever winning stakes races as juveniles last season, who am I missing?, someone in Australia?

So many of our 2YO Stakes races are dominated by horses sired by Australian stallions now, Melody Belle/Summer Passage/Oiji Phoenix spring to mind from last year.

18 hours ago, turny said:

Legend - very pro NZ - top bloke - and a bloody good horseman - and can train the animals - support passion - the industry should champion blokes like Rodgy - stuffed without his ilk

I agree with most of that. 

However he and his co-trainer have a modest strike rate with winners to starters, averaging one winner to 10.7 starters over the last 4 completed seasons.  The range over that time for the Rogersons was from one winner to 8.03 starters in 2014/05 to 1 winner to 14.27 starters in 2013/14; last season it was 1 winner to 12.25 starters and in 2015/16 it was 1 to 10.46 [source: NZTR website].

2 hours ago, Scotch Thistle said:

I agree with most of that. 

However he and his co-trainer have a modest strike rate with winners to starters, averaging one winner to 10.7 starters over the last 4 completed seasons.  The range over that time for the Rogersons was from one winner to 8.03 starters in 2014/05 to 1 winner to 14.27 starters in 2013/14; last season it was 1 winner to 12.25 starters and in 2015/16 it was 1 to 10.46 [source: NZTR website].

I'm sure his strike rate keeps him awake at night, seeing as he has trained Cup winners galore, Slipper Winner,Cox Plate winner, Guineas winners the list goes on.

I've never understood this over reliance on Strike rate in assessing trainers , particularly when there are so many facets to training horses, that you can't take the stats seriously. Such as the above trainer preparing jumpers for starters.