RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Basil

New Brighton Cup

A rare day meeting at Addington today, in beautiful sunny conditions to boot. Sadly, Kim Jong-un could have landed one of his missiles on the course and not actually hurt anybody other than a few pigeons.

Still, the New Brighton Cup was worth being there for.  At the end of it, the horse with the best run won, but it was the way HFIM did it that was interesting to me --- stepped away without hesitation, tracked Dream About Me like a shadow, and showed no signs of erratic behaviour when asked for an effort.  In short, a totally professional performance.

One swallow does not a summer make, but one would like to think he's shown himself to be well and truly on the comeback trail.

10 hours ago, what a post said:

May have had some very good horses in it but the turnover was greater on many of the other races, including the amateur race.  

Interesting.  Excuse my ignorance, but where does one find these turnover figures?

I did wonder about how much betting there'd been on it.  The $15 trifecta on what looked like a racing certainty (for a cost of $6) seemed like a clear case of the market not covering all bases.

1 hour ago, Basil said:

Interesting.  Excuse my ignorance, but where does one find these turnover figures?

I did wonder about how much betting there'd been on it.  The $15 trifecta on what looked like a racing certainty (for a cost of $6) seemed like a clear case of the market not covering all bases.

The place I find them is on the tab website,at the bottom of each race field you click on desk top odds (next to easy form,extended form and indexs).  Those  turnovers are updated throughout the raceday  including each races final figures. They seem to only be available on the day of the races. Thats where I see them anyway.

It seems what time of day is a factor as far as turnover goes if your competing against other race meetings. Don't know why on days like yesterday they run the main race at a time when they only get 2 minutes pre race coverage, yet some of the earlier races have 6 or 7 minutes pre race coverage.   Having said that I do believe punters are not that interested in investing on races where there are only 2 or 3 chances at short odds and which have small fields. Although sometimes you can still get value in a big field with one hot pot..At least that's the way I view it ,as do others I know. 

5 hours ago, john legend said:

yes team driving at its absolute best . send round the mare who needs a few more races and drag HVIM into it with perfect cover all way and the Bue army will triumph over The Titan. (who wont even play with us this year !!) A great tactic perfectly planned and executed..

IMO.Dont think Titan Banner was ever going win this.Just not in same league as HFIM.In fact think it will be Purdon first 4 in cup this year.Lazarus,Heavens Rock,HFIM,Dream about me,the underated Cashnflow and Picadilly Princess gives them a very strong hand.

10 hours ago, john legend said:

yes team driving at its absolute best . send round the mare who needs a few more races and drag HVIM into it with perfect cover all way and the Bue army will triumph over The Titan. (who wont even play with us this year !!) A great tactic perfectly planned and executed..

Are you sure you didn't mean the stripes were team driving?

14 hours ago, john legend said:

Rather than throw the old "Purdon team driving again" adage, and explain to us how Mark should have driven his horse? Regardless of HFIM being in the race I am sure he would have driven in the same manner. If he sits back as I presume you are suggesting he should of they sprint a last quarter and he gets nothing. He slowly inched his way forward perhaps hoping someone would come out and give him cover. If he was intent on team driving he would have moved faster so as nothing would come out and put HFIM would be one further back on the outside. Please explain your claim so we can all understand your conspiracy theory. 

Well I for one was just bloody glad to see The Faith doin what he does best, it was classic, he has speed to spare and possesses a mighty sprint just ask Lenny The Shark yeh, and I for one hope like hell this is him, and hes back :D The Dream hey she's still got a bit of tunin to do, but boy what a group of horses to have in the Cup, mouth watering......The Faith and Lazzie doin battle, throw in Heaven Rocks, The Dream geeeeezuzzzzz.......hehehe whens that Cup? bring it on lol

Cheers Iraklis

hi yes happy to explain. Mark stated that prior to the race (all stars web site) that HFIM was more forward than DAM, and that being ayear older now will need 2 or 3 races to really fire. even  the commentator thought HFIM was stalking DAM so much he should report him !!. so the scenario was established before the race. What about HFIM going round and having a go for the lead? maybe Dream about me could have got the soft run. We all know they team drive and they know we know, Mostly diff ownerships so no real harm done but very hard for oppn.and I never bet against them .

Question re Standing start:

HFIM is held by a starter's assistant on his lonesome out the back on the "UR" then allowed to walk up. Is being on the "UR" why he is the only horse allowed to be on the move and take 6 small steps and continue into a pace as the tapes are released while the others have to stand on the spot?

3 hours ago, EsquireNZ said:

Question re Standing start:

HFIM is held by a starter's assistant on his lonesome out the back on the "UR" then allowed to walk up. Is being on the "UR" why he is the only horse allowed to be on the move and take 6 small steps and continue into a pace as the tapes are released while the others have to stand on the spot?

Yes I agree - that looked very suspect - but that is everybody's favourite starter for you hehe

17 hours ago, EsquireNZ said:

Can the connections of the horse that ran 2nd lodge a protest into winner at the start?

Reading the rules re "Standing Start" HFIM broke the rules and clearly gained an unfair advantage at the start.

Have a look at all the stand start races at Methven on Sunday and tell me all the unruly and back markers were standing still when the tapes were released, if the connections of the beaten brigade started protesting the stewards would still be there.

I think it would be impossible to have 14 horses standing still at the same time.

If you are not bias against the All Stars then nearly every stand start race can bring a whine.

15 hours ago, Lee270744 said:

Have a look at all the stand start races at Methven on Sunday and tell me all the unruly and back markers were standing still when the tapes were released, if the connections of the beaten brigade started protesting the stewards would still be there.

I think it would be impossible to have 14 horses standing still at the same time.

If you are not bias against the All Stars then nearly every stand start race can bring a whine.

Absolutely no bias against All Stars - they're my gravy train when I wager on NZ harness. I was asking a question.

Since I've been home, I have noticed the inconsistencies of the Canterbury starter. I want to know when I back against a stand start horse with bad manners, the horse isn't going to be allowed to walk up and have an advantage at the start.  It's either a stand start or a walk up start - simples! There shouldn't be any inconsistencies, especially with the higher graded races.

If the starter is too lazy or incompetent to make it a fair start, he/she should be shown the door.