RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Paddymc

Waikato Stallion Parades

It would be great to hear thoughts of those who attended the Waikato stallion parades this weekend, particularly with all the new talent available.  Who impressed? Any photos would be great as well

First day stand out for mine was Vadamos , wow he is just so perfectly put together and has that classic European look  and an unbelievable presence about him. If you can afford to get into him you're very lucky indeed.

Agree with Huey. On Saturdays tour I thought Vadamos was the standout amongst the new boys. He is a terrific looking animal. Tivaci was another to take the eye. All studs did an outstanding job presenting their stallions. Good turnout too. Approx 250 at kickoff at Waikato Stud. In my view a positive day.

There are a few photos up on the Waikato Tba Facebook page.

Tivaci great type, good size and imposing but also well balanced and a great mover.

Vadamos nice staying type, his pedigree (sireline) is completely unproven when crossed with Australasian mares so it will be a gamble for breeders but with his shareholders and the typ he is he will get every chance.

Contributer paraded well also, quite a powerful type and like Tivaci a physical type of stallion sired by High Chaparral (Who has some very good sons at stud now in NZ/AUS and will get every chance to be a sire of sires, Tivaci/Contributer/Redwood/Toronado/Dundeel etc)

It was my first time on the stallion parades, absolutely loved it! Surprised how much different some of them looked in the flesh compared to photos. You can't capture the presence of some of them in a photo. Rather liked Vadamos, Preferment, Power, Rageese, but I think my favourite as a value "shopper" was Sweynesse, smashing looking horse, with presence, and super quiet. 

It was a fantastic weekend with a very big turnout I thought. Vadamos was the stand out of the new boys, he looks all class and such  a balanced athlete. Not new this year, but was impressed with Contributer also, he surprised how well he presented.

9 hours ago, Rhodesy said:

It was a fantastic weekend with a very big turnout I thought. Vadamos was the stand out of the new boys, he looks all class and such  a balanced athlete. Not new this year, but was impressed with Contributer also, he surprised how well he presented.

Contributor has to be a big chance at stud -  sireline, performance, type and value. 

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 7:54 PM, Treat said:

Hallmark weren't part of it.

HI Jess - Hallmark have some major access issues this season with the main highway going past their gate under construction for some months. A real headache for everyone. Mark would be more than happy to show anyone Super Easy. He's a lovely horse; I'm very happy with my filly and going back this season.

8 hours ago, Lloyd Vivian said:

HI Jess - Hallmark have some major access issues this season with the main highway going past their gate under construction for some months. A real headache for everyone. Mark would be more than happy to show anyone Super Easy. He's a lovely horse; I'm very happy with my filly and going back this season.

Thanks Lloyd.  What a hassle for them - I didn't know that.  Yep I've never seen Super Easy in the flesh - he looks a very muscular type from photos?   

A general comment - the thing that's hard to guage with all the sires (from the breeder's seat) is temperament  - once there are a lot of progeny around there is more to go on as far as what the trainers, breakers and owners say.  Parades can give at least a glimpse of the stallion's nature.   Most of of us only have 1 or 2 of a given sire so it's not fair to judge on that sample size.   And of course not many stud masters are going to tell you their horse is a fiery type!

A general comment - the thing that's hard to guage with all the sires (from the breeder's seat) is temperament  - once there are a lot of progeny around there is more to go on as far as what the trainers, breakers and owners say.  Parades can give at least a glimpse of the stallion's nature.   Most of of us only have 1 or 2 of a given sire so it's not fair to judge on that sample size.   And of course not many stud masters are going to tell you their horse is a fiery type!

Sir Tristram was a fiery type Jess, but didn't turn out too bad! If you are a small breeder though, temperament is important. And of course you have a 50% chance of offspring inheriting their dam's temperament. Having a mare with a bad temperament (kicked, bit, stubborn) has previously dented my confidence and enthusiasm, so always good to have a quiet mare!.  

2 hours ago, bazach said:

Sir Tristram was a fiery type Jess, but didn't turn out too bad! If you are a small breeder though, temperament is important. And of course you have a 50% chance of offspring inheriting their dam's temperament. Having a mare with a bad temperament (kicked, bit, stubborn) has previously dented my confidence and enthusiasm, so always good to have a quiet mare!.  

Totally agree with the above comment, also a foal spends the first 5-6 months with their dam and that must have a influence on their temperament as well.

Agree guys.  Personally I wouldn't be bothered with a mare who was a witch - I do the handling and even if I can handle her - it's gonna be uphill trying to produce a nicely behaved foal when the mother's trying to turn her to the devil!  And if I was struggling - would it be fair to inflict some rogue on all those poor buggers down the line - farriers, breakers, trainers etc

And I do know of sires who have been stroppy but their progeny no worse than average.  On the other hand I have heard of sires who are unremarkable themselves but their progeny have a reputation for being a handful.

All part of the challenge for us breeders I guess - part of the rich tapestry.     

And remember - when you breed a vicey, ill-mannered beast - and it wins lots of races - it'll just be "tough" or "spirited".  But if it wins nothing - it'll simply be a pig.    

And I always try to have a Plan B in case they're slow - and if they're pigs - no-one who'll give them a good home will want them.  

Jess, the Super Easy's have fantastic temperaments. Obviously handling plays a big part, but all the ones I've seen as you walk around the farm are good types with great natures. I personally think he's very promising - but I may be slightly biased!! :) 

18 hours ago, Lloyd Vivian said:

Jess, the Super Easy's have fantastic temperaments. Obviously handling plays a big part, but all the ones I've seen as you walk around the farm are good types with great natures. I personally think he's very promising - but I may be slightly biased!! :) 

Everyones allowed to be biased but 1 winner from 16 to race!, at least the one winner is very smart! 

I hope he kicks on and gets some other results soon, as well as Prom Queen doing what she does best! "Win"

Two winners in Australia in the last two days, as it happens Bruce - and both are VERY promising types. Remember these two names: Easy Beast and Lisdoonvarna. You'll hear more of them. :) Easy Beast was super impressive: won over 1000m by 6.5 lengths hard held, in 58.2, last 600 in 33.8. 

28 minutes ago, Lloyd Vivian said:

Two winners in Australia in the last two days, as it happens Bruce - and both are VERY promising types. Remember these two names: Easy Beast and Lisdoonvarna. You'll hear more of them. :) Easy Beast was super impressive: won over 1000m by 6.5 lengths hard held, in 58.2, last 600 in 33.8. 

3 from 16 now! 

Easy Beast does look promising being city performed last season and he put away a very poor field very well, 

More my point is it is extremely early days , Power has left multiple stakes horses from his first crop, so has Highly Recommended And Burgundy.

Reliable Man has left a G1 performed filly and at least 3 Australian winners

All went to stud the same time as Super Easy, when they have finished their 3/4 year old seasons you gain a better guide

Of the 2013 First Season sires, the highest profile (and clearly most expensive) stallion of the lot Ocean Park has arguably made the slowest start, with only 3 winners from 25 to race.

Most reports I have heard in regard's to the Ocean Parks is that they are miler/staying types so hopefully improve with a bit of age

9 hours ago, BruceL said:

Of the 2013 First Season sires, the highest profile (and clearly most expensive) stallion of the lot Ocean Park has arguably made the slowest start, with only 3 winners from 25 to race.

Most reports I have heard in regard's to the Ocean Parks is that they are miler/staying types so hopefully improve with a bit of age

Were they expected to be 2yos or Sprinters? 

Ocean Jewel was impressive last saturday , mind you that family has a habit of throwing up good ones.

They arent , but hes served a lot of top quality mares and his early stats arent good in anyones language.

The real top stallions can sire everything and generally if you are going to sire Guineas winners or early-mid 3yos they need to he showing something by now. I have no doubt he will produce 1600/2000m horses in time. It still is very early days and you get a much better guide once the eldest have completed their 3 or 4yo seasons.

Would be a very brave breeder using Ocean Park this spring (he has had amazing support at stud), not saying he wont be a success but you would be brave at 30k this spring.

12 hours ago, BruceL said:

They arent , but hes served a lot of top quality mares and his early stats arent good in anyones language.

The real top stallions can sire everything and generally if you are going to sire Guineas winners or early-mid 3yos they need to he showing something by now. I have no doubt he will produce 1600/2000m horses in time. It still is very early days and you get a much better guide once the eldest have completed their 3 or 4yo seasons.

Would be a very brave breeder using Ocean Park this spring (he has had amazing support at stud), not saying he wont be a success but you would be brave at 30k this spring.

Yes I concur , you would be brave paying that this year and if something doesn't get up and go for him he may be a hard sell at next years yearling sales as well.

Seems it only takes a week or three to change buyers opinions on stallions in this game, we all remember they were giving away free Tavistocks at the weanling sales with every catalogue at one point.