RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Varro

Dolcetto and Longchamp, how does this work

Gday folks,

Im trying to get my head around ratings.  I see Dolcetto beat long champ in its last start, however in the race its on the minimum of 54, and Longchamp is carrying 60.

Dolcetto won beating Longchamp in a open handicap.  I don't quite get that

Not sure how  their handicapping model is working now, but based on how it worked three years ago here's my interpretation.

The net difference since the last time they met is a half kilo. Dolcetto beat him on that occasion, Longchamp got a point for second, and Dolcetto was brought into the handicap with 6 points, ( less a half kilo, he should've been given 7 to get him into the handicap then maybe 4 for his win ). That means Dolcettos's net handicap for beating him was 5 points, or 2.5 kg when it should've been 11 or 5.5 kg.

Longchamp has run since and won, and he got 4 points, 2 kilos. So if the net result from two starts ago was 5 points, and Dolcetto wasn't brought into the handicap by a half kilo ( 1 point ), then the weights this week are mathematically correct.

The only error here is that Dolcetto was treated leniently for his win last start when he should've been given 7 points  because he won when out of the handicap, plus four for the win.

The net result, Dolcetto is theoretically better off this week by 2 kilos.