RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
shaneMcAlister

Club membership

15 hours ago, chelseacol said:

I'll put in a plug for the Canterbury Jockey Club then.

Membership gives 3 members badges for all days and free admission. The value of that across Cup Week and GN Week puts me well ahead on the subscription.

Plus few bars and rooms which are Members only including some really good ones. Plus members comps and discounts etc.

I think they do a good job

Do they look after owners Col? Might have to make a flying trip down from Whangarei to see a filly in the 1000 Guineas.

Great mix of entertainment these days competing for Punters interest and $.

However, the purist and annual Carnival racegoer will forego those other options, as long as racing, offers a value for money exciting alternative.

Marketing is the key,  and providing comfortable on course facilities and entertainment for those considering, attending other weekday/winter meetings

Prove Membership is a good value / fun alternative (punting comp with prizes , best dressed , smorgasbord etc), opposed to gate entry.

make these facilities available to visitors , newbies and other race-goers,,at a set price for the day...to escape adverse weather in Winter.

Clubs getting no revenue from off course betting, does nothing to stop racecourse Bars closing quickly after the last and 

screens being flicked off in an attempt to get rid of patrons ...

(hardly an incentive or nice way to end the day, when the Aussie races are just warming up!)

...should be 1 bar open to all, with TAB available. (% cut to club maybe, from bets put through terminal)     

2 hours ago, Blue said:

Do they look after owners Col? Might have to make a flying trip down from Whangarei to see a filly in the 1000 Guineas.

They are pretty good - do the same as Ellerslie with room by the parade ring out the back for a pre race drink (or two if you are like some of us)

After a win the room upstairs is rather nice and they are hospitable.

They also run a friday night event before the major carnivals which I think owners are invited to (as well as trainers/members etc). They put on free food and cheap drinks - the one before the GN Carnival also featured the Melbourne Cup on tour.

Anyway yes I think they do as well as any of the clubs I've had a horse at.

Hope your horse makes it mate - be a dream to start in that race !

17 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

It doesn't really do as good as any Chelsea. It is in a major metropolitan area with lots of group and listed races but, without double checking, does Saturday oncourse turnovers of $45,000-$75,000 for quite major meetings. I may well be wrong with those figures, and hopefully I am, as I don't have time to check them.

To be fair here WD the question was related to membership - and I responded that I think the membership aspect of the CJC works well.

On the wider question you raise - I think the vast majority of clubs struggle to get much going outside their carnivals. My simplistic view is that Riccarton is no better or worse than most on this point - but I could well be wrong.

In the old days when clubs directly benefited from on course turnover  I always thought racing clubs should have been bending over backwards to get punters on course. I would've found 40 or 50 local gamblers and had them on a list offering them their own room with cheap or free food & drink served by half naked men and women (I'm an equal opportunities degenerate), with good betting facilities staffed by operators who could work the machine. Richard Bromley in his role at Addington was the only person I ever found who did this. Although there were no half naked people serving drinks...

whilst we are on the subject of membership to a Racing club can anyone enlighten me as to whether it is now compulsory to be a member of the  Racing club that you (as a trainer) train out of. That to me seems to be a bit like blackmail I am just interested if this now applies to all trainers as this is what is happening at the track I train from.. interested in any replies to this ..

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 7:25 PM, La Zip said:

Well at our training track, it is compulsory for all those with permission to train at the track to be a member of the race club. 

Not at Riccarton,  the majority probably would be in some form or other but I have never been made aware it is compulsory.

Fascinatingly Fact # 22

Cubes' run for the C J C committee was cut short in 2007 despite being an early bookie fave  (? )  ......

Sponsor , owner , all round good bloke (?)....

But Cubity got the call from the Club secretary at minutes to midnight b4 the ballots were posted......

One must be a Club member to be eligible for committeeness

Cubes thenceforth got membershipness

4 hours ago, Cubes said:

Fascinatingly Fact # 22

Cubes' run for the C J C committee was cut short in 2007 despite being an early bookie fave  (? )  ......

Sponsor , owner , all round good bloke (?)....

But Cubity got the call from the Club secretary at minutes to midnight b4 the ballots were posted......

One must be a Club member to be eligible for committeeness

Cubes thenceforth got membershipness

Like what you did there with the horse reference thrown in ....

10 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

Not at Riccarton,  the majority probably would be in some form or other but I have never been made aware it is compulsory.

Thats very interesting Pam they have made it quite clear that I have join the club if I want to continue to train there, also have to pay another $10.plus gst  for the privilege to train on this track, do any other trainers have to pay this extra fee to train on their track ( I am not talking about track fees) this is over and above those...

3 hours ago, inside edge said:

Thats very interesting Pam they have made it quite clear that I have join the club if I want to continue to train there, also have to pay another $10.plus gst  for the privilege to train on this track, do any other trainers have to pay this extra fee to train on their track ( I am not talking about track fees) this is over and above those...

Is that $10/week, month or year?

13 hours ago, inside edge said:

Track fees are  $96.52 plus GST per month.        There are no extra charges.

This is quite separate to the stabling charges for those trainers leasing club facilities to train from - boxes,  yards and paddocks.

2 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

Track fees are  $96.52 plus GST per month.        There are no extra charges.

This is quite separate to the stabling charges for those trainers leasing club facilities to train from - boxes,  yards and paddocks.

No this charge is purely to use the track nothing to do with use of club stables paddocks or track fees..it is only payable once a year it isnt the money but the principle of it.i would say that we are the only track in nz that are rqd to do this and if you dont you dont get on the track...

1 hour ago, inside edge said:

No this charge is purely to use the track nothing to do with use of club stables paddocks or track fees..it is only payable once a year it isnt the money but the principle of it.i would say that we are the only track in nz that are rqd to do this and if you dont you dont get on the track...

Riders and trainers are ,  under new H & S requirements,  obliged to sign a 'permit to train/ride' form,  before being allowed to use the facilities.

Possibly your club attaches a small fee for this.   It would be extra paperwork for administrative staff who may be largely voluntary [ if a small club ].   No biggie at the end of the day.