RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
nathanleslie

Our Second Broodmare

Just brought my first Broodmare with colt foal at foot by Shamoline Warrior
Mares name is Endless Gossip. Not sure on a Stallion to send her too.Any Help would be Appreciated . Dont Have a Large Budget .

Just brought our 2nd Broodmare her name is Sweeping Success shes in foal to Super Easy,   She does have a bit of age on her but think we might get one more year outta her ???
Really need help picking a Stallion 
We like Echoes of Heaven. Are we on the right track or way off.

Your second mare is from Redoute's Choice family so maybe Burgundy or Niagara (who is also from the same female family). Check out which suits on type best. I'm assuming you are breeding to race

2 hours ago, nathanleslie said:

Thanks Breeder yes we are going 2 race .I do like Burgundy but thinking Danzig on both sides of pedigree not a good thing. What is your thought
on that. Only on my L Plates when it comes to Breeding

The mares last 6 mating's have produced progeny that have been double Danzig so maybe a good chance to try something different, with not a large budget looking to breed to duplicate influential broodmares may be a good way to press (would be interesting as the 2nd dam of Sweeping Success is Show Lady and the 3rd dam of EOH is Show Lady) , therefore Echoes Of Heaven at a cheap fee may be a good option

Pity we don't have a son of MEDAGLIA D'ORO in NZ.

Below results for best matings for Sweeping Success on E Nicks.

Sweeping Success may work better with Sadlers Wells blood.

ASTERN

Darley Australia - Kelvinside

NSW

A$38,500

A+++
(Triple Plus)

Top of Form

Bottom of Form

MEDAGLIA D'ORO

Darley Australia - Kelvinside

NSW

A$110,000

A+++
(Triple Plus)

Top of Form

Bottom of Form

VANCOUVER

Coolmore Australia

NSW

A$49,500

A+++
(Triple Plus)

Top of Form

Bottom of Form

WARRIOR'S REWARD

Spendthrift - Australia

VIC

A$9,900

A+++
(Triple Plus)

20 hours ago, nathanleslie said:

Thanks Breeder yes we are going 2 race .I do like Burgundy but thinking Danzig on both sides of pedigree not a good thing. What is your thought
on that. Only on my L Plates when it comes to Breeding

Your judgment probably as good as anyones, also depends weather you want to breed a sprinter or a stayer,  go with your instincts and lets hope you have beginners luck on your side.

nathanleslie

Sorry about a late reply to your question ( I've been away).

I take note of BruceL's comment on the first 6 matings and probably it is wise to try something else. But my reasoning behind saying Burgundy ( or maybe another Redoute's Choice sire) is that if you look at the dam of Sweeping Success (ie Special Licence ) she is by a son of Danzig over Show Lady. Redoute's Choice is by a son of Danzig  over the a granddaughter of Show Lady. So you have a similar genetic make up --one male and one female quite close up. We all have pet theories and I like to look for crosses like this rather than just looking at crosses of a particular sire.

4 hours ago, nathanleslie said:

Thanks Shad would be nice some beginners luck
Thanks Breeder i understand what you mean now. I really have no idea what im doing. but very willing to Learn Thank you

With your honesty, your bound to get a good one, sometimes all the science and lineage counts for nothing, in my opinion luck pays a huge part, i have a friend looking to breed a staying type, is considering raise the flag, he leaves the odd staying type and improve with time.Be keen to hear what you settle on.Good luck.

Quite right Shad.  There are so many B.S'ers it's actually refreshing to hear someone say they don't know it all but they're gonna have a go and they're willing to learn.

Had some dealings recently with a fairly esteemed owner / breeder - has a bank balance that makes mine look like petty change from a 5 year old's lemonade stall - but declared he isn't any expert in type or the other finer points of things equine - but nevertheless is loving every minute and soaking it all up.

So all the best to you nathanleslie.  Hope you breed a lil champion - you just never know  :)

Thats what makes the game an even playing field, and you don't have to break the bank, been many rag to riches stories on mediocre bred horses turning into top liners, i think one from memory was the broodmare of tarzino, although i do stand to be corrected.

Thanks Jess and Shad She's not due to foal till the end of September so iv got a bit of time. 
Dalghar would be my pick but been told you dont want a double cross of Danzig. Thats whats changed my mind about him

Any help on that subject would be great

Have you thought about Complacent? He looks very good value for a Gp1 winner. I saw him race and was very impressed with his performances.Look what Hartnell did yesterday and Complacent has beaten him in races. I am considering sending mares to him as I think the Aussies will buy his stock.

2 hours ago, nathanleslie said:

Thanks Jess and Shad She's not due to foal till the end of September so iv got a bit of time. 
Dalghar would be my pick but been told you dont want a double cross of Danzig. Thats whats changed my mind about him

Any help on that subject would be great

So much choice out there and a very hard decision, the double danzig thing over my head, plenty of value out there, go with your instinct.Exciting times ahead for you, we all have the dream of having a top liner, an old friend of mine always said to me, wise men ride them, fools breed them, i haven't taken his advice and have a wee interest in a broodmare in foal to an average sire to say the least, but you got to be in to win.Enjoying your post and always remember, your opinion as good as the next persons.

Nathanleslie

I see from the Stud Book you sent Sweeping Success to Burgundy. I hope you got a nice foal.

I have been looking at the sales catalogues for this years yearling sales. Lot 911 in Book 2 ( from Brighthill Farm) has a similar cross. By Burgundy out of Silk Slipper --her 3rd grand dam is Show Lady . So the same female family as Sweeping Success. Silk Slipper has already had a foal by Burgundy --Smokin' Oak who has won 2 races so far ( trained by John Bary).  

Good luck with your one.

What you really need to do is first evaluate type and try and promote the best features and stay away from the worst. With your mare everyone has got carried away with going back to Northern Dancer line stallions although everyone is saying its doubling up on Danzig. I'll probably cop it from a few over these thoughts

Super Easy was a 114 rated horse at best. Darci Brahma was rated 113 at best. Burgundy was rated 107 at best. Ascot Knight was rated 120, End Sweep 118, Sir Ivor 133

End Sweep was a top sire. 37 winners out of 75 foals in first crop, shuttled between Arrowfield and Japan until he was euthanatized with a tumour. His progeny were very strong behind with quite good forearm muscle but if you were to fault him, he had slightly long pasterns (being picky here). Ascot Knight was not a real Danzig on type. He was a big rangy stayer who took time and was very patiently handled by Mike Stoute. Sir Ivor is well known on type as he was replicated in Sir Tristram. They needed time and were stayers. 

Depending on what you want to breed depends on your next move. You have said you wanted to race which is an advantage because this commercial breeding is stuffing up the breed. People are relying on pedigree too much when type is more important. Take a look at Time Test. A very nice looking horse with a lot of balance but he is from a Mister Prospector sire line

https://www.littleavondale.co.nz/stallions/time-test/mating-analysis

End Sweep was by Forty Niner who is by Mr Prospector. The reason I am picking this out is that in the next generation you can pick and choose with a mare heavy in this blood thereby bringing out the best in your next matings. 

Not sure I'd go to Falkirk. 2% stakes winners to foals is not as good as you would want. Also he has rather awkward front legs which he throws to a lot of his progeny. I never like knocking anyone's stallion as they can all throw their champion but if I were advising breeders it would be to suggest breeding up. 

Go to Pins