RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
myk

NZ Cricket

It looks like we are off on another trip to be humiliated,and heads at the top think this is quite acceptable for us to accept.

To me it sounds like McCullum & co are having to much say,they are paid to get results in our favour,Greatbach had a few exciting innings for NZ in his day and is batting coach,didn't John Wright have a better & consistent record but maybe too expensive for NZCC to put in charge.If this is the reason,the old saying,pay peanuts,get monkeys is certainly showing through here.Invest off shore and get another Steve Rixon in charge and take some of the pressure off Dan Vettori,whom I must say is the only player game after game who honestly earns his pay packet.Maybe clean the lot out now and start afresh,don't worry about the world cup as a new fresh squad won't disgrace themselves any more than this current bunch are likely to.

Would love to think I'm wrong,but don't think so.

I was hoping Greatbatch could be like Rixon back in the late 90's and get the team straightened out and hardened up. He still may do, but it's a horror start that doesn't get any easier.

Interesting excerpts from Shane Bond's new book in today's Dom-Post (and, I guess, in other NZ ragsheets, too)...

You'd have thought Cricket New Zealand would have fallen over backwards to accommodate Shane's various contracts - the depth (if that is even a valid term, ha) in our Cricket isn't and never has been so strong that we can do a Rugby and say 'Oh, go overseas if you want. You just can't play for us while you do...'

Greatbatch is an average coach - pure and simple. Our players however are a bunch of power hungry little dweebs who seem to spit the dummy at anyone trying to offer advice and guidance. How they got rid of Mark O'Neill as batting coach was a disgrace and I bet he's having a wee giggle at our team now. Who are these "player power" members?? McCullum would be head honcho - nothing more sure than that. A sad state of affairs. :(

Interesting excerpts from Shane Bond's new book in today's Dom-Post (and, I guess, in other NZ ragsheets, too)...

You'd have thought Cricket New Zealand would have fallen over backwards to accommodate Shane's various contracts - the depth (if that is even a valid term, ha) in our Cricket isn't and never has been so strong that we can do a Rugby and say 'Oh, go overseas if you want. You just can't play for us while you do...'

Bond was hung out to dry when Justin Vaughan forgot that he has no power whatsoever in the cricketing world and promised him things he couldn't deliver on. The ICC were never going to sanction the ICL when the BCCI had their own IPL. BCCI controls cricket - end of story - and Justin Vaughan should've pulled his worthless head in and stopped pretending he knew anything about the international arena.

What are Vaughan's successes? The team's in disarray. Noone knows their role: even Vettori - whose application to take control of everything Vaughan should've realised was doomed from the outset and vetoed.

He made out that getting Greatbatch was some sort of coup. Justin Vaughan more or less single-handedly picked Greatbatch because he wouldn't upset Vettori's dominance.

Vaughan:

"I know Mark is strongly supportive of the way the team has progressed and will complement Daniel well."

"We looked at a number of high-profile international options before choosing Greatbatch.

"We consulted widely about how we progress the current unit without upsetting the current leadership momentum within the team"

Consulted widely? Looked at high-profile international options? Bullhsit!

Greatbatch's most recent coaching stint prior to being 'wrested' from the elite group of internationally sought after coaching ranks (pfft yeah right) was successfully guiding Warwickshire to relegation from the first divisions of both the County Championship and the Pro40 League.

From Cricinfo:

Though Greatbatch has been keen to pass the buck for Warwickshire's predicament, there's no doubt locally where the blame for their failings lie.

Warwickshire's best shot at glory this season came in the Friends Provident Trophy. Instead they went out to Hampshire in the semi-final, a match that earned notoriety after the controversial omission of their England batsman, Ian Bell. This, Dobell added, was just another example of Greatbatch's misfiring man-management that has led to so many ructions within the dressing-room.

"It was his fault that Mark Waugh left. It was his fault that Moeen Ali left. It was his fault that he alienated senior players like Michael Powell and [Dougie] Brown who had only the best interests of the club at heart. And it was his fault that the side played unattractive cricket. For Greatbatch distrusts flair."

Getting Greatbatch was the single most ridiculous coaching selection (yes, worse than Andy Moles - much worse) made in the history of New Zealand cricket. Justin Vaughan has contributed nothing positive to NZC and the sooner he pisses off the better

I see Greatbatch has mouthed off that there is (at least) one player in the current Black Cr*ps side who isn't up to international standard.

Two points...

1. This is news?

2. This is a great way to build team morale...

I see, too, that India propose playing a second-string side against us in the one-dayers.

What happens if we lose 0-4 to them, too?

One Day Rankings

01 - Australia

02 - India

03 - South Africa

04 - Sri Lanka

05 - England

06 - Pakistan

07 - West Indies

08 - Zimbabwe

09 - India A

10 - Australia A

11 - Indian Bookmakers Invitation XI

12 - Balmain Girls Grandmothers Reserve XI

13 - Bangladesh

14= Ireland, Zimbabwe, Netherlands, Kenya, New Zealand...

Greatbatch: "some aren't good enough".

Way to go dickhead.

"Who's that he's talking about? Me? Oh god, it is me. Fcuk. I better score some runs today. I better, i better, i better, arghh i so need to score some runs because otherwise people will see i'm not good enough but i'm so freaked out trying to prove that i'm good enough that i can't even see right. I'm all tense, my neck hurts, my shoulder's are tight, my helmet doesn't feel right. Who's that coming onto bowl? Is that Zaheer? Fcuk I can't remember how to play lefties. Is my technique up to it. Haven't had an outdoor bat in weeks. Or is that months. Why weren't we facing quick lefties in the nets? Bloody nets. No wonder i'm not good enough. Sh*t here he comes. Just watch the ball. Bat on ball. Bat on ball. Watch his hand. Here he comes. Here it comes. It's full and angling across me, sweet i can leave it, he's a lefty, that'll go away towards the... HOWZAAAAAT!! What the? It cut back in? No way! It hid me on the pads. It's full. I'm straight in front. Oh fcuk oh fcuk is he putting his finger up? He is he is. faaarrrkkkk. fcuk fcuk fcuk i knew i wasn't good enough, i knew it was me the coach was talking about"

I see Greatbatch has mouthed off that there is (at least) one player in the current Black Cr*ps side who isn't up to international standard.

Two points...

1. This is news?

2. This is a great way to build team morale...

I see, too, that India propose playing a second-string side against us in the one-dayers.

What happens if we lose 0-4 to them, too?

One Day Rankings

01 - Australia

02 - India

03 - South Africa

04 - Sri Lanka

05 - England

06 - Pakistan

07 - West Indies

08 - Zimbabwe

09 - India A

10 - Australia A

11 - Indian Bookmakers Invitation XI

12 - Balmain Girls Grandmothers Reserve XI

13 - Bangladesh

14= Ireland, Zimbabwe, Netherlands, Kenya, New Zealand...

Those Balmain Girls Grandmothers are shocking sledgers.

Greatbatch: "some aren't good enough".

Way to go dickhead.

"Who's that he's talking about? Me? Oh god, it is me. Fcuk. I better score some runs today. I better, i better, i better, arghh i so need to score some runs because otherwise people will see i'm not good enough but i'm so freaked out trying to prove that i'm good enough that i can't even see right. I'm all tense, my neck hurts, my shoulder's are tight, my helmet doesn't feel right. Who's that coming onto bowl? Is that Zaheer? Fcuk I can't remember how to play lefties. Is my technique up to it. Haven't had an outdoor bat in weeks. Or is that months. Why weren't we facing quick lefties in the nets? Bloody nets. No wonder i'm not good enough. Sh*t here he comes. Just watch the ball. Bat on ball. Bat on ball. Watch his hand. Here he comes. Here it comes. It's full and angling across me, sweet i can leave it, he's a lefty, that'll go away towards the... HOWZAAAAAT!! What the? It cut back in? No way! It hid me on the pads. It's full. I'm straight in front. Oh fcuk oh fcuk is he putting his finger up? He is he is. faaarrrkkkk. fcuk fcuk fcuk i knew i wasn't good enough, i knew it was me the coach was talking about"

Great description razor,and I bet it wasn't Martin Guptill he was referring to.And NZ thought he wasn't up to going to Bangladesh,bet Guptill's laughing loud now.

Not sure if anyone wanted reminding the test starts tomorrow. This is a very good read from one of the best cricket writers around. NZ in India: Dowling being robbed of our only series win; Hadlee's 10-for; Coney fielding when he was there as a commentator; Ryder's double-ton.

http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/484966.html

Greatbatche's latest words of wisdom,out today.Players need to spend time in the middle and build the innings this will mean India has less batting time.

This from our coach, you learn that in schoolboy and backyard cricket, great stuff coach.

The future of our team is in great hands.

Since Vaughn took over our team has gone to crap.Lets players dictate, is gutless and weak.

Greatbatche's latest words of wisdom,out today.Players need to spend time in the middle and build the innings this will mean India has less batting time.

This from our coach, you learn that in schoolboy and backyard cricket, great stuff coach.

Since Vaughn took over our team has gone to crap.Lets players dictate, is gutless and weak.

YEP!

Great start start to series,India 300+ for 3 after day one.At this rate we'll be lucky to get a bat.As we're so bad,maybe India

should let all our 11have a bowl,UNDERARM.

3 wickets in a day ..... not a bad result!

At the moment we are poor - no dispute. But we are also playing a team that has legends of the game. In 20 years time Sehwag, Tendulker, and Dravid will be Indias version of the three W's or Hobbs, Hutton,etc. They are the benchmark for batting in the last 5 years.

Typical of NZ sport, they are either in denial or blaming someone else when things dont go so good.

Typical of NZ sport is kick the dog(oops there is that word again :) ) when its down and kick the dog when its up.In fact,kicking NZ sports teams in the face and bagging them is a favorite past time for kiwis.

Rubbish them when we win,rubbish them when we lose

Not so at all,this nz cricket team is a disgrace,i dont even believe they are tryting until the ipl money is up.league/rugby/soccer/rowing all doing us proud,cricket shameful at the moment.

Not so at all,this nz cricket team is a disgrace,i dont even believe they are tryting until the ipl money is up.league/rugby/soccer/rowing all doing us proud,cricket shameful at the moment.

Its not just the cricket, look at all the hoo haa after the ABs lost, 1 fkg game and they all come out swinging blaming Donald, I saw a few missed tackles from others as the aussies scored the last try and Donald wasnt one of them.

Nz has (as Isaac alludes to) a tall poppy syndrome, look at how many games Fox won for the ABs yet he was always bagged for other things in his game.

God forbid if the ABs dont win the cup, guess Henry will be in for the abuse and being spat on as Hart did not so long ago.

I think the cricketers are in for an innings loss, but as SB says, they are in better heart than the aussies hahaha.

yep tony but no ab moaning here they cant be murdered for one close loss,and donald had a shocker,but sometimes you do,even professionals remember manu.what henry and co are doing is the right thing back on the horse etc.My beef is with these cricketers their lack of giving a crap,329/3 and ryder says we are happy with that.how?why? abs and donald to have win and good game this weekend.

what else could he have said. at 329/3 he was trying to be positive. if he came out and said 329/3 and were going to be thrashed you would have all given it to him. now they will just have to bat 2 to 3 days to save the test end of story. many other good test sides have had to do that in india.

No what he could have tried was the truth,we bowled like a club side got no respect from any batsman and got smacked to every corner of the park,and we will improve cause we are overpaid and under achieving. Some of these cricketers need a reality check,you aint that good.

no the truth is if you take out martin and vettori they are pretty inexperienced at this level and to not take your chances at this level as they dropped chances yesterday you will struggle against one of the best batting sides in the world .