RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.

Jacinda Ardern

On 8/1/2019 at 8:52 PM, Gruff said:

I do like Jacinda don’t get me wrong, bloody tough job at present and few could get it right. There’s always someone unhappy no matter what you do

Get it right !!  , hell if only she could get something right . Just give me a couple of examples of this part time prime minister getting anything right . (giveaways excluded )

Every thought bubble of this government is failing and causing the people she pretends to care about much more grief . Just look at housing , the waiting list for state houses is at record levels and the homeless numbers have doubled , do you know why ? , simple , the attack on landlords (every day working people ) has resulted in most selling up creating a massive rental property shortage . Down our way rents have gone through the roof and that's assuming you can find a rental . Every thing is failing , hospital boards are running out of money etc etc , the things that matter are all failing .

35 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

Get it right !!  , hell if only she could get something right . Just give me a couple of examples of this part time prime minister getting anything right . (giveaways excluded )

Every thought bubble of this government is failing and causing the people she pretends to care about much more grief . Just look at housing , the waiting list for state houses is at record levels and the homeless numbers have doubled , do you know why ? , simple , the attack on landlords (every day working people ) has resulted in most selling up creating a massive rental property shortage . Down our way rents have gone through the roof and that's assuming you can find a rental . Every thing is failing , hospital boards are running out of money etc etc , the things that matter are all failing .

Your confusing me with someone else.Merely pointing out her heart is in the right place? Qhoka seemed to see something similar in my text, either I have an issue conveying a point or you both do in its translation?

49 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

Cleaning up 9 years of ignorant neglect can't be done over night.

Your comment about landlords is bollocks,not happening and they mainly buy existing stock...i.e do not build housing.

The FIRE economy burned brightly under the Nats...but the tradeable sector was stagnant.

Nats run an OPEN economy..i.e NZ FOR SALE!-Hopeless, entitled parasites.

20 minutes ago, flockofewes2 said:

Cleaning up 9 years of ignorant neglect can't be done over night.

Your comment about landlords is bollocks,not happening and they mainly buy existing stock...i.e do not build housing.

The FIRE economy burned brightly under the Nats...but the tradeable sector was stagnant.

Nats run an OPEN economy..i.e NZ FOR SALE!-Hopeless, entitled parasites.

Still waiting for a couple of examples of her policy successes . (excluding giveaways , they can't last ) 

Hmm , earthquake , GFC , Oh that's right Key's crime , he borrowed to make sure people were looked after , you know , pensions paid , welfare payments continued , hospitals financed etc etc .

And of course immigration , he let to many in , remind me again , what was the immigration total was last year ? cindy was going to make massive cuts , and how many houses was twitford going to build ? .

This fraudulent Govt continues to fail , how much did the free 1st year s education cost , O'yes $50 million down the drain , the list of f/ups is endless .

9 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

Still waiting for a couple of examples of her policy successes . (excluding giveaways , they can't last ) 

Hmm , earthquake , GFC , Oh that's right Key's crime , he borrowed to make sure people were looked after , you know , pensions paid , welfare payments continued , hospitals financed etc etc .

And of course immigration , he let to many in , remind me again , what was the immigration total was last year ? cindy was going to make massive cuts , and how many houses was twitford going to build ? .

This fraudulent Govt continues to fail , how much did the free 1st year s education cost , O'yes $50 million down the drain , the list of f/ups is endless .

This Govt have been in 2 years.Have achieved more in that time frame than the Nats in 9.

Usual line GFC...caused by Key's Wall St cronies,and a natural disaster,still with unresolved issues.

You would think Bill the 'double dipper from Dipton' and YanKee John put on carpenters belts and rebuilt the place themselves!

Key was able to borrow more in his term than the cumulative borrowing since the NZ Govt began because Labour had built up the collateral by prudent,budgets in their term.(Cullen Fund-a security)

Nats never had the 'data' and kicked the can down the road(as usual)on important issues.Including returning NZ'ers in immigration figures ,distorts the numbers,though personally they are still too high.

National bolstered immigration categories-truck drivers,ag workers,retail staff..to keep a lid on wages and maintain profits.

Key who's first task was to restore knighthoods and last was to accept one had one big regret...didn't change the flag after spending $26mil.GO FIGURE!!

And Ardern, the UN disciple of Agenda 21 & 30 meanwhile is destroying the oil and gas industry in Taranaki, closed the successful Charter Schools, taking firearms off law abiding citizens all in virtue signaling knee jerk mode and deciding what we can read or discuss about.  Not to mention trying to tell other nations what they should do. 

2 minutes ago, flockofewes2 said:

This Govt have been in 2 years.Have achieved more in that time frame than the Nats in 9.

Usual line GFC...caused by Key's Wall St cronies,and a natural disaster,still with unresolved issues.

You would think Bill the 'double dipper from Dipton' and YanKee John put on carpenters belts and rebuilt the place themselves!

Key was able to borrow more in his term than the cumulative borrowing since the NZ Govt began because Labour had built up the collateral by prudent,budgets in their term.(Cullen Fund-a security)

Nats never had the 'data' and kicked the can down the road(as usual)on important issues.Including returning NZ'ers in immigration figures ,distorts the numbers,though personally they are still too high.

National bolstered immigration categories-truck drivers,ag workers,retail staff..to keep a lid on wages and maintain profits.

Key who's first task was to restore knighthoods and last was to accept one had one big regret...didn't change the flag after spending $26mil.GO FIGURE!!

Still waiting for a couple of examples of policy success . 

Now Landlords , mostly mum and dad investors , these are the people who have sold rather than spend thousands on their property's as demanded by this collection of losers .

These houses are now owner occupied , meaning renters have nowhere to go , hence the record waiting list at housing NZ and a doubling of homeless people  . One piece of trickery in order to hide these numbers  is to rename the cars in which people are living in as MOBILE HOMES , that's right a car with a couple of pillows in it is now a MOBILE HOME .

This is the worst Govt NZ has ever had .

7 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

Still waiting for a couple of examples of policy success . 

Now Landlords , mostly mum and dad investors , these are the people who have sold rather than spend thousands on their property's as demanded by this collection of losers .

These houses are now owner occupied , meaning renters have nowhere to go , hence the record waiting list at housing NZ and a doubling of homeless people  . One piece of trickery in order to hide these numbers  is to rename the cars in which people are living in as MOBILE HOMES , that's right a car with a couple of pillows in it is now a MOBILE HOME .

This is the worst Govt NZ has ever had .

The irony!What did the Nats achieve?Record borrowing for the young to repay.

When landlords sell, the properties do not vanish.Where is there any evidence to suggest they are selling up in large numbers?

Where were the owners living before they bought Einstein?

You have absorbed too much propaganda and not enough FACT.

15 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

And Ardern, the UN disciple of Agenda 21 & 30 meanwhile is destroying the oil and gas industry in Taranaki, closed the successful Charter Schools, taking firearms off law abiding citizens all in virtue signaling knee jerk mode and deciding what we can read or discuss about.  Not to mention trying to tell other nations what they should do. 

Complete knee jerk partisan NONSENSE!

Health Minister David Clark has been accused of hiding the state of DHB deficits, after he held off the release the latest financial reports.

The year-to-March DHB financial results showed a deficit of $264 million across the 20 DHBs.

All, bar one, are now in deficit – and now the minister is being accused of hiding the extent of the deficits.

Clark said he was “unable” to release up-to-date finances to National’s health spokesperson Michael Woodhouse in July, when his office had been given the figures more than a month earlier.

Just now, rdytdy said:

Health Minister David Clark has been accused of hiding the state of DHB deficits, after he held off the release the latest financial reports.

The year-to-March DHB financial results showed a deficit of $264 million across the 20 DHBs.

All, bar one, are now in deficit – and now the minister is being accused of hiding the extent of the deficits.

Clark said he was “unable” to release up-to-date finances to National’s health spokesperson Michael Woodhouse in July, when his office had been given the figures more than a month earlier.

just another inherited mess of National proprtions.

Former minister Jonathan Coleman stood for the Nats leadership after Key jumped.Such dedication ,now has a cushy number in the private health sector.

The waste and outright chicanery in health under the Nats watch is epitomised by this...

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2019/07/ex-waikato-dhb-board-member-angry-former-ceo-won-t-be-charged.html

It's no wonder Clark doesn't want to show the DHB deficits as they are set to balloon to more than half a billion dollars for the year, nearly double last year's total.

Ardern and her government must have misunderstood what "open and transparent" actually means. Probably not hard to accept given she doesn't know the difference between Crown accounts and GDP and only this week Carmel Sepuloni had to be told what CPI was. :rolleyes: 

3 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

It's no wonder Clark doesn't want to show the DHB deficits as they are set to balloon to more than half a billion dollars for the year, nearly double last year's total.

Ardern and her government must have misunderstood what "open and transparent" actually means. Probably not hard to accept given she doesn't know the difference between Crown accounts and GDP and only this week Carmel Sepuloni had to be told what CPI was. :rolleyes: 

Tim O'Shea..-transparency..

'It used to be that the position of New Zealand Prime Minister was highly admired and respected. John Key has brought nothing but shame and embarrassment to the role.

If this word weasel has an ounce of integrity or credibility, he will live by his “nothing to fear, nothing to hide” mantra and prove once and for all that he is fit to retain his position.

He won’t if course – he doesn’t believe in responsibility and accountability unless he’s attacking others for his own purposes. He is a shallow, cold, man who does nothing but talk, without the walk. He is a terrible role model for our people, and a champion of empty words, lies and hypocrisy.

You know why Key won’t show us his tax info. It is for the same reason that he will never explain what the $120B of overseas debt was spent on, and who the money was borrowed from, the same reason that he has been illegally stifling the release of information through OIA requests. It is because he is crooked and corrupt.

His tax records would show how little tax he pays himself, what tax he pays on dividends and shares with overseas banks and corporations, what he pays on investments that he has in his dodgy blind trust, on the investmenrs that he has with his corporate sponsors. They would show that he has massive undeclared conflicts of interest, and that he has been rorting this country for the last 7 years.'

'

5 hours ago, flockofewes2 said:

just another inherited mess of National proprtions.

Former minister Jonathan Coleman stood for the Nats leadership after Key jumped.Such dedication ,now has a cushy number in the private health sector.

The waste and outright chicanery in health under the Nats watch is epitomised by this...

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2019/07/ex-waikato-dhb-board-member-angry-former-ceo-won-t-be-charged.html

Say's it all really . Coleman now working in the private health sector . The private health sector has to make it own money to survive therefore they need a good experienced employees , people who know what they are doing .

Name me just one of the labour MPs who has succeeded in the private sector ?? . You see former National MPs are in high demand in the private sector because of their proven track record .

Now I assume they all walked or bicycled to Dunedin....they wouldn't have flown or driven there.....thinking of their carbon footprint. :rolleyes:

According to RNZ, this weekend’s Green party conference is “the most closed-down annual conference in recent memory – for any political party.” Media have been told that “this is an ‘off-the-record’ event with no cameras or photos, and any members having to give explicit permission before being interviewed.”

jelsie 

Since the Green party are not keen on being transparent I have put my overactive imagination to work as if I was a fly on the wall of the Green Party conference. I imagine it went something like this…

GreensPartyConference-630x315.jpg Caption: The Green party’s national conference.

They will start the conference of course with a traditional dance after consuming the edibles and smoking the joints handed out by their youngest baby faced MP who so earnestly thinks that decriminalisation will solve everything.

After eating the edibles and smoking the joints for a good hour, everyone will agree heartily that drugs certainly do solve everything and apart from an attack of the munchies they will all say that “the world would be a much more peaceful place if everyone just relaxed man.”

After the dance, they will go straight to the Vegan buffet where they will chow down on various delicacies until someone starts drumming on a drum to announce the grand entrance of the Great Poobar co-leaders, Thing One and Thing Two.

“Comrades,” they will cry speaking as one, “welcome to the Green party conference. For your comfort, we have banned all muggles from attending as your privacy is important to us. Muggles always seem to get the wrong end of the stick and are known to mock our Greenie ways. We believe in free speech but at what cost to our reputations? Yes indeedy comrades, there will be no free speech for Muggles on our watch because they simply are not intelligent enough to know what to do with it.

Soon after a stirring speech from the co-leaders about the importance of providing more bicycle lanes, Julie Anne Genter will take the stage. Earnestly she will explain why it is important to restrict the diets of muggles in hospitals in order to reduce their carbon footprint. “Oh yes” she will enthuse “I went on an all-expenses-paid governmental flight to America to have a pow-wow with the indigenous people there to seek their wise advice on how to reduce our carbon footprint. From there I flew to India to consult with a famous Yogi who made the most marvellous vegetarian dishes. He was very supportive of our plastic bag ban by the way, and then I made a side trip to China and Russia.”

When Julie Anne Genter finishes her speech the next person to take the stage will be Golriz Ghahraman who from the bottom of her little refugee heart will thank one and all for their support of her through her recent Twitter difficulties. Tearfully she will explain how nasty juice unfairly targeted her for saying that Jesus and his mother Mary were Palestinians. Loudly she will proclaim, “I’m a Palestinian, you are a Palestinian, we are all Palestinians!…say it with me now.”

At this point, a lone voice will pipe up and say, ” I’m not a Palestinian and I care about the environment. Can’t we talk about clean rivers and lakes instead?” Swiftly after a nod from co-leader Thing Two the dissident voice will be seized and dragged whimpering from the conference by a couple of Vegan bodybuilders.

At this point co-leader Thing Two will step up to the microphone. “Now let me be very clear Whanau” she will say slowly. “The heart of the Green party is an activist one and the old days of focussing on the environment are in the past. Everyone needs to get with the programme or they can expect to be expelled swiftly from our group. Our job is to get involved in land disputes, to shut down industry and to advocate for refugees and beneficiaries…” – a deathly silence will then fall over the conference until someone hands out some more joints and edibles, the music is turned back on and everyone begins to dance.

1 hour ago, tripple alliance said:

Say's it all really . Coleman now working in the private health sector . The private health sector has to make it own money to survive therefore they need a good experienced employees , people who know what they are doing .

Name me just one of the labour MPs who has succeeded in the private sector ?? . You see former National MPs are in high demand in the private sector because of their proven track record .

No because in Govt they pander to the lobbyists!

Kiwisaver ,KiwiBank,Cullen fund good examples...stymied by the Nats...welcome to the ANZ HonKey Tonks.

Private sector rooted Air NZ ,Govt bailed it out and got it performing again.Perception and reality.

Especially for Bloke :rcfe-laughing:

Mike Hosking: Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern's fairy dust is starting to wear off

The rumours are rife that our Prime Minister is actually in the country this week and looking to attend to domestic matters - and she's got a bit on her plate.

And because Jacinda Ardern's plate is getting more and more full, what you are seeing increasingly is the sad reality that a reputation has been formed, and is starting to cement in place. That is of a leader that isn't exactly hands-on, across the brief, decisive, or omnipresent.

This is a Government that's drifting.

As Matthew Hooton so eloquently put it, she appears more interested in what the editor of The Guardian thinks than anyone locally.

My sister, who lives in Rome and is here, currently informs me of what we already understand. Post-Christchurch, Ardern is globally seen as spectacular. An Obama-esque figure who in a crisis, responded brilliantly, connected magnificently, and gained an international reputation as a result. Hence we have a British Vogue cover and Meghan Markle.

What we also have is the cold, hard reality that no one internationally votes - and spending a week in Rarotonga, a couple of days in Australia, and another week on atolls hasn't proved in the least bit popular here.

The "part-time Prime Minister", who loves nothing more than to talk, consult, yak, discuss, whiteboard, or blue sky anything but actually make a decision is now facing a real issue with the public. Her personal popularity is significantly down, the gloss is wearing thin, if not off.

Some things she might like to actually address:

• The Ihumātao land occupation she's insisted on involving herself in, despite her saying over and over it's got nothing to do with government.

• The public housing crisis. Numbers last week setting another record.

• DHB debt, as of last week it has blown out to hundreds of millions.

• Oranga Tamariki baby snatching allegations and her department under siege.

• Last week's confidence surveys numbers. Still falling, business at decade-long lows.

• The JobSeeker benefit numbers two weeks back. Once again at record numbers.

• Where is the KiwiBuild reset?

• Where is the National Cancer Agency they promised and yet were beaten to by National last week?

Two years in, why is so little actually being done? And given that, isn't three out of four weeks overseas (having told me she is well aware people don't like her being out of the country hence she didn't do a thing about D-Day) isn't it just about time a few things get ticked off?

Reputations are hard won, but easily damaged. She's damaging hers, she only has so much goodwill. She only has so much fairy dust.

And with a year to a general election, increasing numbers of voters will start to tune in, pay attention, and expect results. Results get votes, so she might want to actually look at a few things in the in-tray.

1 hour ago, rdytdy said:

Especially for Bloke :rcfe-laughing:

Mike Hosking: Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern's fairy dust is starting to wear off

The rumours are rife that our Prime Minister is actually in the country this week and looking to attend to domestic matters - and she's got a bit on her plate.

And because Jacinda Ardern's plate is getting more and more full, what you are seeing increasingly is the sad reality that a reputation has been formed, and is starting to cement in place. That is of a leader that isn't exactly hands-on, across the brief, decisive, or omnipresent.

This is a Government that's drifting.

As Matthew Hooton so eloquently put it, she appears more interested in what the editor of The Guardian thinks than anyone locally.

My sister, who lives in Rome and is here, currently informs me of what we already understand. Post-Christchurch, Ardern is globally seen as spectacular. An Obama-esque figure who in a crisis, responded brilliantly, connected magnificently, and gained an international reputation as a result. Hence we have a British Vogue cover and Meghan Markle.

What we also have is the cold, hard reality that no one internationally votes - and spending a week in Rarotonga, a couple of days in Australia, and another week on atolls hasn't proved in the least bit popular here.

The "part-time Prime Minister", who loves nothing more than to talk, consult, yak, discuss, whiteboard, or blue sky anything but actually make a decision is now facing a real issue with the public. Her personal popularity is significantly down, the gloss is wearing thin, if not off.

Some things she might like to actually address:

• The Ihumātao land occupation she's insisted on involving herself in, despite her saying over and over it's got nothing to do with government.

• The public housing crisis. Numbers last week setting another record.

• DHB debt, as of last week it has blown out to hundreds of millions.

• Oranga Tamariki baby snatching allegations and her department under siege.

• Last week's confidence surveys numbers. Still falling, business at decade-long lows.

• The JobSeeker benefit numbers two weeks back. Once again at record numbers.

• Where is the KiwiBuild reset?

• Where is the National Cancer Agency they promised and yet were beaten to by National last week?

Two years in, why is so little actually being done? And given that, isn't three out of four weeks overseas (having told me she is well aware people don't like her being out of the country hence she didn't do a thing about D-Day) isn't it just about time a few things get ticked off?

Reputations are hard won, but easily damaged. She's damaging hers, she only has so much goodwill. She only has so much fairy dust.

And with a year to a general election, increasing numbers of voters will start to tune in, pay attention, and expect results. Results get votes, so she might want to actually look at a few things in the in-tray.

Quoting Mike Hosking!!!...desperate,smug,smarmy Tory ..shill.

jacinderella-1068x601.jpg

As I’ve written several times now, the parallels between Jacinda Ardern and former Australian prime minister Kevin Rudd are many – and ominous, for NZ Labour. Rudd was even more opinion-poll popular and media-beloved than Ardern. For a while.

But, Rudd soon found that glamour and fairy-dust don’t count for much. As soon as the media spell wore off, Rudd’s downfall was as meteoric as his rise. He didn’t even last a full term.

The rumblings about Jacinda Ardern are getting louder – and sound very familiar. A humiliating backdown on tax, a spectacularly failed housing policy: even Bridges’ “part-time prime minister” jibe echoes the taunts of “Kevin 747”.

The rumours are rife that our Prime Minister is actually in the country this week and looking to attend to domestic matters – and she’s got a bit on her plate.

And because Jacinda Ardern’s plate is getting more and more full, what you are seeing increasingly is the sad reality that a reputation has been formed, and is starting to cement in place. That is of a leader that isn’t exactly hands-on, across the brief, decisive, or omnipresent.

This is a Government that’s drifting.

Even worse for Ardern is the growing perception of her as a politician more focused on glossy magazine covers and international plaudits than actually governing her country.

As Matthew Hooton so eloquently put it, she appears more interested in what the editor of The Guardian thinks than anyone locally.

A satirical image on social media captured the perception fast developing of Ardern: “Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern to visit New Zealand”.

Jacinda-to-visit-NZ-630x563.jpg

My sister, who lives in Rome and is here, currently informs me of what we already understand. Post-Christchurch, Ardern is globally seen as spectacular….What we also have is the cold, hard reality that no one internationally votes.

What you also should realise is the cold, hard reality that Twitter and Woman’s Day are not reality.

Rudd quickly became notorious for his “death by PowerPoint” obsession with focus-groups, summits and white papers – and a spectacular lack of substantive achievement. The same word is getting out about Ardern.

The “part-time Prime Minister”, who loves nothing more than to talk, consult, yak, discuss, whiteboard, or blue sky anything but actually make a decision is now facing a real issue with the public. Her personal popularity is significantly down, the gloss is wearing thin, if not off…

Reputations are hard won, but easily damaged. She’s damaging hers, she only has so much goodwill. She only has so much fairy dust.

A Newspaper.

As I also wrote, vis-a-vis Rudd and Ardern: Prime ministerships cobbled together from fairy dust and wishes don’t last. Everyone at the ball may be temporarily enchanted by Jacinderella, but the clock strikes midnight sooner than anyone thinks. When the glass slippers come off, feet of clay are exposed for all to see. The courtiers in the press start to stare and whisper, and the next thing you know, your loyal footmen have turned into rats.

“If we’ve lost Walter Cronkite, we’ve lost America,” Lyndon Johnson famously said. If Ardern has lost ‘A Newspaper’, she’d better start worrying about losing New Zealand.

wonderful news ...

'Headline unemployment falls to lowest rate in 11 years, and average wages rose 4.4%'

Mr Bridges...'Its started. Unemployment is up. Is anyone seriously going to debate that this isn't because of the Ardern Peters Govt's policies? Its time they acknowledge their responsibility and make serious changes for NZers' sake.=making shit up.

Just more ducking and weaving from the most open and transparent PM this country has had. :rolleyes:

Mike Hosking Breakfast Show Transcript starts at 7:13

Mike:

The Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern – good morning!

Jacinda:

Good morning

Mike:

How many people have quit your party as a result of this investigation into the bloke who may or may not have um… sexually assaulted someone?

Jacinda:

I’m going to be pretty careful answering that question, Mike because this is um… ah…  enquiry and work is still underway and it is um… a party matter, but if you ah… want numbers on those who come and go from the Labour Party ah… that’s not a number I can give you at present. I can tell you that our numbers are healthy and probably grow by the day with every interview I do…

Mike:

No, I’m not talking about your general party membership, I’m talking about people who have specifically quit the party as a result of the actions alleged of this person.

Jacinda:

Oh, look, I’ve seen the um… claims around (indistinct) but I can’t give you verified numbers there. Again, Mike, I am sure you will appreciate…

Mike:

Have you asked?

Jacinda:

Have… have… how many individuals have… no, nor would I expect to give an accurate um… ah… reference because people don’t give their rationale when they choose remove their party membership. But also, Mike, you will appreciate um… that this is… this is a matter for the party – it’s not something that I am directly involved in. I have of course, sought assurances that when issues like this are raised, they are dealt with properly and appropriately – particularly given our experience with the summer school.

We have a process in place um… and the party has already indicated that it is aah… aah… aah… checking that everything that it should have done was done when these complaints were raised. And that’s appropriate that they do that.

Mike:

So, where are they at, currently?

Jacinda:

Aah… they are currently assessing the enquiry that was undertaken.

Mike:

But we can say there will be no change to the outcome?

Jacinda:

Aah… that is not for me to determine. It’s not a matter that I’ve enquired into personally. It’s a matter for the Labour Party.

Mike:

Why wouldn’t you enquire into it personally, seeing this has come back to bite you this morning?

Jacinda:

Aah… why would I… because it is not appropriate for me to undertake a personal investigation into a complaint that was made, Mike. And I don’t think you’d believe it would be.

Mike:

So, no disciplinary action was taken, they’re reviewing their processes – but not the outcome. Is this your understanding of where we are at?

Jacinda:

I… I’m… No – I’m not going to get into that level of detail while this is a matter that is still underway. It would be premature for me to do that and nor would it be appropriate for me to do that.

Mike:

When will it be completed?

Jacinda:

That’s a matter for the party.

Mike:

What news do you bring us this morning on the CRL? Last time we talked you said you’d make some enquiries.

Jacinda:

I did actually have a conversation um… with aah… the mayor – around the issue that we talked about which was one of those businesses that you raised that were um… experiencing hardship, and I I’ve also had a conversation with our minister of transport. They’re still doing a bit of work. So, there’s no conclusion there yet but I have had conversations with both.

Again, the issue that we talked about last time, Mike, this um… aah… concern around how do you determine um… aah… you know… when there has been a financial impact, how do you ensure that there isn’t precedent setting every time there are, for instance, roadworks in an area. So, these are some of the things that are being considered but I have had discussions with both and I know that’s something they are giving consideration to.

Mike:

Do you think there should be less talk and more action?

Jacinda:

Aah… you know… um… of course… there is action underway as we speak, Mike. I just don’t have a final outcome for you right now.

Mike:

So… well… apparently, we’ve got $72,000 which… which on a project of four and a half billion is farcical – is that, do you think, the best that will be offered up?

Jacinda:

Oh… again… that’s not for me to predetermine – not while it’s being considered um… at the moment by um… both the minister of transport and of course um… the mayor of Auckland and the team from Auckland. But what I can tell you it’s obviously something that… you know… they are concerned about and… have to try and find a way through.

Mike:

How long will they be considering it for?

Jacinda:

Umm… I… I can’t tell you off the top of my head right now, Mike, it is something though that they are working on obviously now.

Mike:

So, you can come back to us with an answer next week as to some sort of conclusion or will we need more time to talk and consider?

Jacinda:

Actually, probably I’d suggest having a conversation directly with Phil Twyford wouldn’t be a bad way to go.

Mike:

Phil doesn’t talk to me. He’s over me after KiwiBuild – he’s gone off me in a major way.

Jacinda:

(Laughs) People who’ve gone off you, Mike, still talk to you, you’ll find.

Mike:

Well, Phil doesn’t.

Mike:

Aah… umm… are you going to go to the land protests?

Jacinda:

I have no umm… immediate plans to. I haven’t ruled out aah… in the future but not right now. Obviously, focus for us is trying to help facilitate aah… a solution to be found. So, that’s what’s underway right now, and I absolutely stand by that being a role for… for us as the government. You will have seen umm… a week ago now we did sit down with representatives of mana whenua umm… and talk with them about the situation, and of course at that time the announcement was made that there would be no activity on the land until a solution was found. And that’s the place where we are at the moment.

Mike:

It’s like more talk. Are they taking time to consider that as well?

Jacinda:

Aah… the mana whenua?

Mike:

Hmm, or you, or whoever’s talking.

Jacinda:

Well, they are obviously… you will have seen that aah… Kiingi Tuheitia went onto Ihumatao at the weekend. They are directly involved in the conversations that are happening right now. So, that’s underway and I want to let that happen… umm… aah… we are not directly involved in that at the moment umm… it’s very much a discussion aah… amongst Maoridom aah… seeking to find a solution for Maori.

Mike:

Would you consider using the Maori Land Act?

Jacinda:

These are all hypotheticals and conversations that aren’t necessary at this time because those solutions are being discussed and brokered umm… aah… amongst mana whenua and other parties so, I am going to let that happen. I’m not going to turn up there with any hypothetical solutions.

Mike:

So, you injected yourself into the conversation before you left for overseas, and now you are saying you are not part of the conversation, is that right?

Jacinda:

Aah… I actually wouldn’t call that arbitrary… Mike, there’s often occurrences where of course I have to be in other places, particularly when there are long standing commitments…

Mike:

No… no, no I am not talking about your trip, I am talking about you’d said the government needs to talk and it became the government’s issue and now you are saying it’s not the government’s issue.

Jacinda:

Aah… of course we can play a role regardless of whether or not we are a direct party to an issue. We can play a role in helping to facilitate a solution. There’s lots of examples of that. The CRL is another one, Mike. We’re not… you know… this is a… we have a place to help find solutions to problems regardless of whether or not it’s something that we’ve been directly involved in and that’s an example… and example is Ihumatao. You know, some will say I shouldn’t have got involved, some would say I should have got more involved. It probably means we are in about the right place.

Mike:

Did Esper [US Defense Secretary Mark Esper’s visit to NZ] want anything specific from the Americans?

Jacinda:

Aah… we had a general… umm… my conversation with him over the phone was very general, of course I haven’t touched base with the deputy prime minister since he had longer conversations with him yesterday.

Mike:

Would you expect them to want something specific?

Jacinda:

Aah… not necessarily but umm… you know, I also don’t want to predetermine the umm… discussions that are being had. I’ve been asked about, for instance, the situation in Iran, the protection of shipping lanes, whether or not our request is being specific there at the moment those requests have been very general umm… and we are not the only ones that have received general requests of support umm… but at the moment, nothing specific.

Mike:

Are you open to help him?

Jacinda:

Aah… again, I will leave that until we have a specific request which at the moment umm… we don’t. In terms of general support of course we support maritime law being upheld aah… and ensuring that shipping lanes are… are clear and free for movement.

Mike:

When is the KiwiBuild reset to be announced?

Jacinda:

Aah… Minister Woods has indicated that would be umm… aah… the next… within the next sitting session.

Mike:

What’s that mean?

Jacinda:

Aah… that means that we’ve got one week of parliament aah… in session at the moment, then one week when parliament isn’t sitting, and then we resume again and it’s within that next session.

Audio continues here.

Mike:

So, that lasts for how long? How long a period is that?

Jacinda:

Oh, that’s what three weeks?

Mike:

So, in the next five weeks we will have an announcement on the KiwiBuild reset?

Jacinda:

That’s what the minister has indicated, yes.

Mike:

Will it include the Greens’ “rent to buy”?

Jacinda:

Aah… that was actually in our confidence and supply agreement so we’ve been discussing rent to buy options generally with the Greens for some time, but we will have more to say on that down the track.

Mike:

When?

Jacinda:

Down the track, Mike – stay tuned.

Mike:

So… so…

Jacinda:

I know how much you enjoy listening to the government (indistinct)…

Mike:

So, is that between now and the next election?

Jacinda:

(Laughs) It means soon. Mike, I’m not going to announce anything that hasn’t been concluded but we will have it…

Mike:

So, it’s still not concluded yet?

Jacinda:

It was part of the confidence and supply agreement. Technically, you could have asked me this question weekly from the time we formed government. We haven’t concluded policy, when we have an announcement, we will make it.

Mike:

It’s just that I asked James Shaw yesterday – he said you were on board and NZ First were on board.

Jacinda:

Well, obviously the fact that it’s in the confidence and supply agreement – yes, that’s a statement of fact. We wouldn’t have put it in the agreement if we didn’t agree, we are just doing the policy work.

Mike:

So, it will be delivered before the election then?

Jacinda:

Mike – stay tuned.

Mike:

When’s the cancer service announcement coming?

Jacinda:

Umm… by the end of August. Umm… we will release the cancer action plan. So, we’ve obviously done tranche one of that so a big capital roll-out, a bit investment in what they call linear accelerators, so radiation treatment that previously has been left to DHBs to purchase but it’s a big outlay, umm… and they haven’t been replaced at the rate that they should, so we announced that on Sunday umm… that’s tranche one. So, we will have more to say in the action plan in that a Minister Clark has said will be out by the end of August.

Mike:

And that will include a national cancer service?

Jacinda:

Umm… that will include umm… what it includes, Mike. I’m not going to make announcements until it’s completed.

Mike:

What are you going to do about the debt on the DHBs?

Jacinda:

Yeah, that’s something obviously we’ve seen the markers for a number of years. We have made significant investments in the DHBs including capital investments umm… $1.78 billion in the last budget. It is going to take us a while to get them in a better position aah… not least of course, some of the workforce pressures with umm… aah… pay rounds that we’ve recently had as well. So, of course the minister is working with them to get them back on track where we have seen significant issues of course we’ve since put in place commissioners and that continues to be work that we’ll do to try and fix what is essentially nine years of neglect in the health system.

Mike:

Appreciate your time as always, Jacinda Ardern, the prime minister Tuesday mornings on the Mike Hosking Breakfast.