RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.

Jacinda Ardern

13 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Who built it again....??   :rolleyes:

"The Waterview Tunnel and greater Waterview Connection project was delivered by the Well-Connected Alliance. This was a partnership between the NZ Transport Agency, Fletcher Construction, McConnell Dowell, Parsons Brinckerhoff, Beca Infrastructure,Tonkin+Taylor, and Obayashi Corporation. Wilson Tunnelling and SICEEnabling were sub-alliance partners"

32 minutes ago, hesi said:

"The Waterview Tunnel and greater Waterview Connection project was delivered by the Well-Connected Alliance. This was a partnership between the NZ Transport Agency, Fletcher Construction, McConnell Dowell, Parsons Brinckerhoff, Beca Infrastructure,Tonkin+Taylor, and Obayashi Corporation. Wilson Tunnelling and SICEEnabling were sub-alliance partners"

My point, as you well know, is that Labout talked about it, National got it done. Big difference.

This morning, more ducking and weaving and more lack of transparency (thanks TDC):

GUYON ESPINER: Tax was a big focus too last night, wasn’t it? Your Housing Spokesperson, Phil Twyford, has said that a land tax and a wealth tax and an asset tax are on the table in this taxing working group. I just want to talk briefly about a land tax. Can you rule out a land tax on the family home?
JACINDA ARDERN: As I’ve said, the family home is- land tax obviously, as you know, applies to land, not homes though, Guyon. But, as I’ve said, nothing that we’re looking at will affect a family home. I’ve been really clear on that.
GUYON ESPINER: So when you get your rates bill, it has a land value too, right?
JACINDA ARDERN: I’m ruling out the family home, Guyon. The rest I’m leaving to our experts. I don’t want to pre-determine what they may come back on. And we can have a back and forth about detail every single week on Radio New Zealand, I’m happy to do that …
GUYON ESPINER: [Talks over] I’d be happy to do that, too.
JACINDA ARDERN: … except what I can say is that I want to look at making sure we deal with the housing crisis and we have a fair taxation system.
GUYON ESPINER: Okay. I just want to clarify this point. You can rule out, then, a land tax on the family home?
JACINDA ARDERN: On the family home, but again, land tax applies differently, Guyon, but on the family home absolutely.
GUYON ESPINER: So what might a land tax apply to?
JACINDA ARDERN: Again, I’m not going to go into the detail of what our expert working group is going to be able to do themselves. They may actually come back and say, as I’ve said before, that what we’ve got in New Zealand is sufficient with our extension of the bright line test, but they may not. I want the experts to have the room to be able to present to me the best options for improving housing affordability, because after nine years we have a crisis and I’m not willing to sit back and let that continue.
GUYON ESPINER: Okay, but if you own land in Auckland or Wellington or wherever, you’re saying that if that land is a family home you won’t be taxed?
JACINDA ARDERN: They’re going to survey all of the options. I’m going to consider all of the options and then we’ll make a decision.
GUYON ESPINER: So is it an option? Because a lot of people who own – I can’t remember exactly how many – but the more than a million people who own a home in New Zealand will be wanting to know this. Would they potentially be subject to a land tax on their family home?
JACINDA ARDERN: That is a, Guyon, again, an absolute hypothetical. We are allowing that working group to look at all of the options to improve home ownership in New Zealand.
GUYON ESPINER: You can’t rule out a land tax on the family home?
JACINDA ARDERN: I have ruled out affecting the family home, yes.
GUYON ESPINER: That won’t happen on a land tax? You’ve ruled it out on the capital gains tax, but …
JACINDA ARDERN: [Interrupts] I will not have a tax on the family home.
GUYON ESPINER: Okay. So what might a land tax apply to?
JACINDA ARDERN: Again, Guyon, what I’m trying to do is make sure we leave enough room for us to explore all the options on two things: making sure that we improve home ownership. One of the reasons we are even having this conversation is because the Government hasn’t done that. The result has been that the Reserve Bank is now requiring that in order to buy a home in Auckland you have to have $150,000. I’m not going to let that persist. And yes, there’s probably ways …
GUYON ESPINER: [Interrupts] Are you going to withdraw the LVR ratios?
JACINDA ARDERN: We’ve always disagreed with the fact that they’ve had to be put in place, but we accept there was no choice for the Reserve Bank because this issue has continued to persist and the Government hasn’t acted.
GUYON ESPINER: Okay. If it’s only about housing – and that’s what you’ve kept coming back to, and that’ll resonate with a lot of people …
JACINDA ARDERN: [Interrupts] And the fairness of our tax system.
GUYON ESPINER: Because, I mean, why would you tax the capital gain on a business if it was only about housing?
JACINDA ARDERN: I am very fixated on housing, that is true. I’m also …
GUYON ESPINER: [Interrupts] I know, but why would you tax a farm or a business if it was only about housing?
JACINDA ARDERN: Well, we’re not proposing to do that. We’re proposing to allow the experts …
GUYON ESPINER: [Interrupts] But you’ve said that they are on the table though.
JACINDA ARDERN: We’re allowing the experts to look at everything to give us the best options available to improve our housing crisis and to make our tax system fairer, because we do know, for instance, that someone who flicks off three homes isn’t treated in the same way as someone who goes and works a 40 hour week.
GUYON ESPINER: But no land tax on a family home.
JACINDA ARDERN: As I’ve said, Guyon, I’m going to let the experts do their jobs and come back to me with a set of options, but we have ruled …
GUYON ESPINER: [Interrupts] I’m still confused about that, sorry. I’m still confused about it.
JACINDA ARDERN: That’s because you’re confusing the way a land tax and a capital gains tax works, and I’m trying to make sure I leave the experts to do their job, and I will make sure that the focus is on home ownership.
GUYON ESPINER: Okay, but if I own a property, let’s say in Wellington, and the land value of that land is 500,000, are you saying that there will not be a land tax on that?
JACINDA ARDERN: I’m saying that we are not going to affect the family home and I’ve been consistent on that.
GUYON ESPINER: Right. Thank you very much for your time and for coming into the studio this morning. I do really appreciate your time. That is the Labour Leader Jacinda Ardern.

5 hours ago, rdytdy said:

This morning, more ducking and weaving and more lack of transparency (thanks TDC):

GUYON ESPINER: Tax was a big focus too last night, wasn’t it? Your Housing Spokesperson, Phil Twyford, has said that a land tax and a wealth tax and an asset tax are on the table in this taxing working group. I just want to talk briefly about a land tax. Can you rule out a land tax on the family home?
JACINDA ARDERN: As I’ve said, the family home is- land tax obviously, as you know, applies to land, not homes though, Guyon. But, as I’ve said, nothing that we’re looking at will affect a family home. I’ve been really clear on that.
GUYON ESPINER: So when you get your rates bill, it has a land value too, right?
JACINDA ARDERN: I’m ruling out the family home, Guyon. The rest I’m leaving to our experts. I don’t want to pre-determine what they may come back on. And we can have a back and forth about detail every single week on Radio New Zealand, I’m happy to do that …
GUYON ESPINER: [Talks over] I’d be happy to do that, too.
JACINDA ARDERN: … except what I can say is that I want to look at making sure we deal with the housing crisis and we have a fair taxation system.
GUYON ESPINER: Okay. I just want to clarify this point. You can rule out, then, a land tax on the family home?
JACINDA ARDERN: On the family home, but again, land tax applies differently, Guyon, but on the family home absolutely.
GUYON ESPINER: So what might a land tax apply to?
JACINDA ARDERN: Again, I’m not going to go into the detail of what our expert working group is going to be able to do themselves. They may actually come back and say, as I’ve said before, that what we’ve got in New Zealand is sufficient with our extension of the bright line test, but they may not. I want the experts to have the room to be able to present to me the best options for improving housing affordability, because after nine years we have a crisis and I’m not willing to sit back and let that continue.
GUYON ESPINER: Okay, but if you own land in Auckland or Wellington or wherever, you’re saying that if that land is a family home you won’t be taxed?
JACINDA ARDERN: They’re going to survey all of the options. I’m going to consider all of the options and then we’ll make a decision.
GUYON ESPINER: So is it an option? Because a lot of people who own – I can’t remember exactly how many – but the more than a million people who own a home in New Zealand will be wanting to know this. Would they potentially be subject to a land tax on their family home?
JACINDA ARDERN: That is a, Guyon, again, an absolute hypothetical. We are allowing that working group to look at all of the options to improve home ownership in New Zealand.
GUYON ESPINER: You can’t rule out a land tax on the family home?
JACINDA ARDERN: I have ruled out affecting the family home, yes.
GUYON ESPINER: That won’t happen on a land tax? You’ve ruled it out on the capital gains tax, but …
JACINDA ARDERN: [Interrupts] I will not have a tax on the family home.
GUYON ESPINER: Okay. So what might a land tax apply to?
JACINDA ARDERN: Again, Guyon, what I’m trying to do is make sure we leave enough room for us to explore all the options on two things: making sure that we improve home ownership. One of the reasons we are even having this conversation is because the Government hasn’t done that. The result has been that the Reserve Bank is now requiring that in order to buy a home in Auckland you have to have $150,000. I’m not going to let that persist. And yes, there’s probably ways …
GUYON ESPINER: [Interrupts] Are you going to withdraw the LVR ratios?
JACINDA ARDERN: We’ve always disagreed with the fact that they’ve had to be put in place, but we accept there was no choice for the Reserve Bank because this issue has continued to persist and the Government hasn’t acted.
GUYON ESPINER: Okay. If it’s only about housing – and that’s what you’ve kept coming back to, and that’ll resonate with a lot of people …
JACINDA ARDERN: [Interrupts] And the fairness of our tax system.
GUYON ESPINER: Because, I mean, why would you tax the capital gain on a business if it was only about housing?
JACINDA ARDERN: I am very fixated on housing, that is true. I’m also …
GUYON ESPINER: [Interrupts] I know, but why would you tax a farm or a business if it was only about housing?
JACINDA ARDERN: Well, we’re not proposing to do that. We’re proposing to allow the experts …
GUYON ESPINER: [Interrupts] But you’ve said that they are on the table though.
JACINDA ARDERN: We’re allowing the experts to look at everything to give us the best options available to improve our housing crisis and to make our tax system fairer, because we do know, for instance, that someone who flicks off three homes isn’t treated in the same way as someone who goes and works a 40 hour week.
GUYON ESPINER: But no land tax on a family home.
JACINDA ARDERN: As I’ve said, Guyon, I’m going to let the experts do their jobs and come back to me with a set of options, but we have ruled …
GUYON ESPINER: [Interrupts] I’m still confused about that, sorry. I’m still confused about it.
JACINDA ARDERN: That’s because you’re confusing the way a land tax and a capital gains tax works, and I’m trying to make sure I leave the experts to do their job, and I will make sure that the focus is on home ownership.
GUYON ESPINER: Okay, but if I own a property, let’s say in Wellington, and the land value of that land is 500,000, are you saying that there will not be a land tax on that?
JACINDA ARDERN: I’m saying that we are not going to affect the family home and I’ve been consistent on that.
GUYON ESPINER: Right. Thank you very much for your time and for coming into the studio this morning. I do really appreciate your time. That is the Labour Leader Jacinda Ardern.

Waffle, obfuscation, avoidance....haven't got a clue Ted. As for " leave it to the experts...".......:lol:

I recently asked my friend's little girl what she wanted to be when she grows up.

She said she wanted to be Prime Minister some day.

Both of her parents, Labour supporters, were standing there, so I asked her, 'If you were Prime Minister, what would be the first thing you would do?'

She replied, 'I'd give food and houses to all the homeless people.' Her parents beamed with pride.

'Wow...what a worthy goal.' I told her. 'But you don't have to wait until you're Prime Minister to do that. You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull weeds, and sweep my yard, and I'll pay you $50. Then I'll take you over to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out, and you can give him the $50 to use toward food and a new house.'

She thought that over for a few seconds, then she looked me straight in the eye and asked, ' Why doesn't the homeless guy come over and do the work, and you can just pay him the $50?'

I said, 'Welcome to the National Party.

Richard Prebble: The Jacinda tidal wave can be stopped

7 Sep, 2017 5:00am

JLGSF66DIRBQ3EYJABNLRCRE6I.jpg

Labour leader Jacinda Ardern (left) and Prime Minister and Leader of the National Party Bill English speak during the Vote 2017 1st Leaders Debate. Photo / Getty Images

It appears that an increasingly confident Jacinda Ardern can surf a tidal wave to victory. But no election is over until the ballots are cast. It is hard to stop a tidal wave let alone turn it back but it can be done.

Taxes. Jacinda thinks the answer to every problem is a new tax. Asking for a mandate for capital gains taxes without giving any details is outrageous. All new taxes start small and then grow. GST was never going to be more than 10 per cent.

Who believes it is fair that the Dotcom mansion will be an exempt "family home" but a family's holiday caravan plot will be taxed? The details are important. What if you work from home? What if a trust owns the family home?

While there may be a tax-free threshold it is just a matter of time before the family home will be subject to Labour's capital gains tax. Capital gains taxes will beggar small business owners who are our job creators.

Jacinda's belief that somehow the absence of capital gains taxes has caused the housing crisis is just silly. Sydney and San Francisco have very expensive housing and capital gains taxes. Auckland pre the Resource Management Act had no capital gains tax and affordable homes. Capital gains tax is the politics of envy.

Personalities. Of course Jacinda Ardern does not want any personal politics but fitness for office is an issue. A 37-year-old who has never had a real job, any real life experience and has had an undistinguished parliamentary career is not ready to be Prime Minister.

As President Trump daily proves, ability to do TV sound bites is not proof you can govern.

Race Relations. National's recent record is better than Labour's. Using an election to nationalise Maori water rights is an abuse of democracy. Jacinda and what army is going to collect water royalties from Maori farmers? Making ownership of water a campaign issue is going to end badly. No one with experience in government would have done it.

The Greens. The scariest statement of the campaign was James Shaw pointing out that Labour, the Greens and Maori Party could be government. Mr Shaw described the prospect as the "most progressive government" ever. Helen Clark believed just the prospect of the Green Party holding the balance of power would scare Labour voters into voting National.

The Economy. National's biggest mistake is not pointing out Treasury's rosy growth projections are always wrong. If the only issue is how to spend surpluses then why not vote Labour?

National should say New Zealand has a small economy open to overseas economic shocks. If Trump gets his trade war we will be in recession. The next government's priority should be preparing for the next recession. Labour's tax and spend is based on the good times never ending. Only a fool believes that.

MMP. In the last three weeks of every MMP election one third party has surged. Who wins this Friday's minor leaders debate could be important.

It is not Winston. We pensioners who have to fill out the same forms are incredulous that Peters could make eight false declarations. The penalty for a false Super declaration is three times any extra payment. The fine is waived when the department concludes you are gaga. The department has waived the penalty. New Zealand First is in freefall.

The Greens have dropped talk of fighting poverty and are campaigning on their core issue of whales and plastic bags but Metiria Turei is still a Green candidate. James Shaw still refuses to say that benefit fraud is wrong. Ms Turei who has been earning $200,000 a year has yet to repay the taxpayer. On the Herald poll of polls the Greens are out.

The Maori Party is being swept away by the Jacinda effect.

TOP was never going to make it to Parliament.

David Seymour has impressed in the debates. He has been a good MP for Epsom which he is winning so all Act list votes will count. Act is the only party promising to reform the RMA and putting forward fresh ideas. In just three weeks of one election Act went from 1 per cent to electing seven MPs. Act could be National's lifeline.

Will the Jacinda tidal wave be turned back? I doubt it. Voting starts in just a week. Bill English is a nice guy and we all know where they finish.

3 minutes ago, jeepers said:

I have noted that the NZ dollar has dropped almost 10cents against the Aust dollar since Jacinda A has become Labour party leader. Why?

With no economic news due out in New Zealand on Thursday, traders may watch for July retail sales and trade in Australia.

The kiwi fell to A89.93c from A90.52c on Wednesday when figures showed the Australian economy grew 0.8 per cent in the second quarter.

This will really bring out the dirty tactics from the right wing stooges, I wonder if Joyce and Prebble realise it is backfiring on them

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11919076

And just to add a bit of balance, it seems that CGT is not as widely abhorred as we are led to believe

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11918930

Yes, they have all been sucked in. They will vote for an inexperienced woman who has never had a real job or achieved anything in her life, but hey, she looks good and has promised handouts galore.....what could possibly go wrong...?  Of course the rose tinted glass wearing students can finish their degrees and then fuck off overseas leaving the mess behind.....

Lots of oblique references to " if it was recommended by the working group".....translation "we have no idea really, and if we do, we won't say so until after the election....too late then eh....?? " :wacko:

You guys continue to underestimate her, and the issues that affect that significant part of the population that has not seen much of the economic boom.

One thing I will agree on though, Clarke should shut up, she is well capable of fighting her own battles

42 minutes ago, hesi said:

You guys continue to underestimate her, and the issues that affect that significant part of the population that has not seen much of the economic boom.

One thing I will agree on though, Clarke should shut up, she is well capable of fighting her own battles

Nothing to underestimate yet Hesi, said absolutely nothing of substance that any intelligent thinking person could latch onto.

You talk about those people missing the economic boom, they will be a farking sight more upset when the boom is over and they are unemployed in 12 months and interest rates are 2-3% higher. 

Wont be long and racing will be a thing of the past with Greens sharing power and it will serve anyone connected to racing right for voting for Winnie. Its now a dead vote on latest polling.

9 hours ago, barryb said:

Wont be long and racing will be a thing of the past with Greens sharing power and it will serve anyone connected to racing right for voting for Winnie. Its now a dead vote on latest polling.

Doesn't leave many options, doesn't leave any in fact

Greens - no, they don't like horse racing

NZ First - no, wasted vote you say

Labour - not up to it, and no one will go racing in the recession you predict

Nats - they've done nothing for racing in 9 years

Any suggestions:)

10 hours ago, barryb said:

Nothing to underestimate yet Hesi, said absolutely nothing of substance that any intelligent thinking person could latch onto.

You talk about those people missing the economic boom, they will be a farking sight more upset when the boom is over and they are unemployed in 12 months and interest rates are 2-3% higher. 

Have a look at the motley crew assembled behind her..Robertson and Co.....Jesus wept...

Throw in some airy fairy tree huggers and God help us all.

You would have thought the lessons from the UK and the US might have been learned.....:rolleyes:

Just now, Ohokaman said:

Have a look at the motley crew assembled behind her..Robertson and Co.....Jesus wept...

Throw in some airy fairy tree huggers and God help us all.

You would have thought the lessons from the UK and the US might have been learned.....:rolleyes:

Your starting to sound like Aquaman, Oko. Your postings are increasingly subjective and rely on name calling. Next thing you'll be referring to Labour supporters as "Snowflakes".

3 minutes ago, Uriah Heap said:

Your starting to sound like Aquaman, Oko. Your postings are increasingly subjective and rely on name calling. Next thing you'll be referring to Labour supporters as "Snowflakes".

Of course they are subjective, it is my opinion......   And fairly descriptive too I thought......:rolleyes:

I can see the outcome of all this even if you can't Uriah. The "Snowflakes" are at best misguided.