RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.

Jacinda Ardern

On 3/25/2020 at 10:30 PM, Archer said:

Don key,

is he not the dude who shit his trousers and ran bleeding from his prime ministerial post early, when the PANAMA PAPERS appeared  ?  

;) 

No he's the dude that figured out how to save people from ruin during the GFC , policy's that cindy is following today .

On 3/25/2020 at 5:16 PM, Nerula said:

Dear Jacinda and Winston 

We are now looking down the barrel of a massive health crisis and equally as bad economic crisis, predicted to make the last financial crisis look like a kindergarten . Your touting of the tourism industry as the darling of New Zealand economy is now losing 350 million dollars a week.  Your crazy selling of tens of thousands of acres of good pastoral land to overseas buyers to plant in Pine trees as a carbon sink is looking like a bad gamble..  made even worse by  the berating, belittling and ridiculous polices aimed at Farmers of New Zealand. 

Well what a difference a week makes... you have just announced a 12 billion dollar package to soften the blow but you well know that’s not even a scrape in the bucket of what’s needed. 

I guess now all we have once industry shuts down and tourism crumbles completely is the farmers. The same ones who your coalition called Rednecks, the same ones who are committing suicide at a terrible rate, the same ones who get up at 5:00 am to milk their cows so you have your milk and butter for breakfast. The same ones who work tirelessly on the hill country day in day out during drought conditions to make sure their lamb and beef is the best quality before it hits the shelves. The same ones who are struggling with the ridiculous polices that are coming in relation to cows farts and fencing. The same ones who have been doing it for generations to make sure people have something to eat. The same  Farmers who produce food more efficiently and more environmentally friendly than anywhere else in the world. The same ones who your coalition has made to feel like they are the problem in the world - are now suddenly the only ones we need.  Isn’t it funny how things change so fast and you suddenly need someone who you belittled more than ever. As you sit down for dinner tonight pondering how we are going to get through this, take a look at the food on your plate and be thankful for the ones who you have ignored. In fact invite Winnie over for dinner but have him bake a humble pie and bring that around and take a bite both of you. It will be good for you, and the Farmers will get up tomorrow and keep on producing food for us and the world. Next time you decide to belittle the main stay of our economy remember a couple of old sayings we learnt on the farm. ‘Never bite the hand that feeds’ - and ‘you reap what you sow.’  When you order the whole country on lock down the farmers will still get up and go out and work their asses off for this country like they have always done. We will get through this but you are going to need those Farmers more than you have ever needed them before. They will keep the supermarkets full, they will be the ones exporting out produce worldwide and returning ever so needed revenue for the coffers. 

Peace and love 

James Herbert

Brilliant .

On 3/27/2020 at 10:00 AM, tripple alliance said:

No he's the dude that figured out how to save people from ruin during the GFC , policy's that cindy is following today .

Nah pretty sure he is the dude who cut and run. the only person he has ever saved in his whole career, has been himself.

On 3/25/2020 at 1:55 PM, Ohokaman said:

Fuck me, how long is that shit going to go on....you could have bought NZ with the money given to you...and mostly wasted.

Just because WE are MAORI...Doesn`t mean we all came in the same waka...Ignorance breeds dumbasses... We know what Waka you came on!!

9 minutes ago, jack said:

Just because WE are MAORI...Doesn`t mean we all came in the same waka...Ignorance breeds dumbasses... We know what Waka you came on!!

Jack , the gravy train (round 2) has been running for a very long time and will never end , those who are creaming it will make sure of that , the rest will still carry  on playing dress up , there will be  no such thing as full and final .

An example .

In 1926 a royal commission began to inquire into the land confiscations of the 1860s. It found some confiscations to have been excessive and recommended compensation. Taranaki Māori accepted an annual payment of £5000 from 1931, but negotiations for the other settlements were delayed until 1944. In that year, compensation was made to several major iwi for land taken in the 19th century. The three major settlements were: Ngāi Tahu (£10,000 per annum for 30 years), Waikato–Maniapoto (£6000 per annum) and Taranaki (£6000 per annum for 50 years and £5000 thereafter).

18 minutes ago, jack said:

No, the stories change to suit the circumstances...funny that. Who was first here again......?!  :rcf-thinking-1:

8 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

Jack , the gravy train (round 2) has been running for a very long time and will never end , those who are creaming it will make sure of that , the rest will still carry  on playing dress up , there will be  no such thing as full and final .

An example .

In 1926 a royal commission began to inquire into the land confiscations of the 1860s. It found some confiscations to have been excessive and recommended compensation. Taranaki Māori accepted an annual payment of £5000 from 1931, but negotiations for the other settlements were delayed until 1944. In that year, compensation was made to several major iwi for land taken in the 19th century. The three major settlements were: Ngāi Tahu (£10,000 per annum for 30 years), Waikato–Maniapoto (£6000 per annum) and Taranaki (£6000 per annum for 50 years and £5000 thereafter).

Hey Jack , how  many settlements would you like , it seems the government has been paying for a very long time 

Rotorua lakes agreement 1922

This 1922 newspaper article sets out the terms of an agreement between the government and Te Arawa over access to and ownership of lakes in the Rotorua region. This agreement was one of the earliest settlements between the Crown and Māori over tribal grievances, and a forerunner of the Waitangi Tribunal settlements that began in the late 1970s.

Commentators Going Easy on Ardern in Life or Death Crisis

Why Have New Arrivals since the Shutdown Not Been Quarantined?

In A Newspaper, Matthew Hooton informs us that Jacinda will get us through. Chris Trotter gets poetic with his ‘the incredible lightness of being Jacinda’, appearing to have taken leave of his senses. And then Paul Little’s warm and fuzzy ‘I’m glad Jacinda’s got our backs for the next wee while’ rounds it all off.

A largely left-leaning, Ardern loving media, do not want to ask the tough questions as they would had National been in power. Apart from the likes of John Armstrong, they look for the positive and skim the surface and not with a critical eye.

The lockdown and self-isolation is a necessary move but that does not mean we should stop critically questioning the government. Many have concentrated on Ardern’s media appearances to speak on the crisis, where she acquits herself well. However, this crisis is not just about optics; it is about their decisions and actions.

Their welcome announcement since the lockdown, of tougher measures at Auckland airport, has turned out to be a bit of a damp squib. For example, just 6 (or so) people have been quarantined out of about 360 arrivals on Thursday. People can be infected with the virus and show no symptoms and could be bringing the virus with them to infect others with whom they travel home; or could have been on the same fights as the 8 Air NZ flight crew who are now infected. 

Duncan Garner, a voice in the media wilderness, has been onto this and questioning why new arrivals since the shutdown have all not been quarantined. I am with him on this. 

This has been the government’s weakness all along; poor or nonexistent monitoring at Auckland airport, backed up by widespread anecdotal evidence from international arrivals. 

Michael Woodhouse, Shadow Spokesman for Health informed us last month the form being given to travellers on arrival was a generic one National had produced some 6 years ago. And the pandemic plan being used by the government was produced by the National government in 2017 and has not been updated. 

Woodhouse also called in the House for an investigation into why an Iranian woman, complaining of feeling unwell on arrival, was allowed through Auckland airport, untested, (before an NZ flight ban on Iran), then admitted to North Shore Hospital and not tested for 4 days. She was found to have the coronavirus, and 56 staff had to self-isolate for 14 days.

It took the government until 19th March to update a customs form to include specific questions about the coronavirus. Jenny Salesa, Minister for Customs, was explaining it and waving it about during parliamentary question time. 

And the matter of the lack of testing kits has been a problem all along. Did the Ministry of Health not learn the pitfalls of being unprepared from the measles outbreak? They could have ordered these back in January or February if their preparation had been robust.

There has been little drilling down into the nitty-gritty of this emergency by media and there have been accusations of politicking when National tries to bring up these issues.

There are no such problems in the US where the Trump-hating (shoutiest) media are not afraid to ask the hard questions and even on occasion make stuff up if it suits their narrative. Our media here get their news feeds from the left-wing news outlets. So much for balanced, investigative journalism in this country…

The US are fortunate they have a good-sized right-wing media to give a balance and some evidence is even emerging of bipartisanship in this time of crisis with the signing of the huge two trillion dollar economic recovery bill.

I once heard a New Zealand politician (Graeme Lee – father of current MP Denise) explain that government in a free democracy and economy had two key responsibilities

1) To defend the nation from external threats.

2) To take care of the needy – the poor, the elderly, the infirm (physically and mentally) – who are disproportionately affected by market failures.

With regards to number one, there is a strange logic to what has taken place with Covid-19. If we looked at this (what was an “external threat”) through another lens.

ugdkmhdg1m8-630x421.jpg The BFD.
  • If we knew that people were flying to New Zealand carrying guns (or even encouraged them to fly to New Zealand as our Foreign Minister did).
  • If we knew that those individuals had intent and people were sick and dying overseas because of their ‘network’. 
  • If we could not detect who had the guns as they came into our country. 

Would we not have kept all travellers out (quarantine for a virus) until we knew they had no guns and were good people? No one would have been allowed to enter our country until we knew they were not a threat.

New Zealand was perhaps the best-placed country in the world to do that effectively. 

Making a different choice has meant that we now have one death, 514 cases and 9 people in hospital (as at 1pm on 29/3/20). Who knows where those statistics will end up? Not only that – instead of having our international economic links in lock-down (and gradually being re-established) – we have the vast majority of our domestic economic activities in lock-down also and the impact will be huge and long-lasting.

I have an eighty-year-old mother in law. Today the Prime Minister was reported as saying:

“more people would get sick – older New Zealanders are ‘by far’ at the most risk.

“Today’s death is a reminder of the fight we have on our hands.”

I have a son who is a firefighter – overseas they are the people being required to collect the dead. I have a daughter and a wife and a grandchild on the way that I would like to meet and see grow up. I work within three schools that are shut down with scared children and many families that are poor and locked up in very inadequate housing. We have 75 staff who need not have been put at any risk at all.

Heather du Plessis-Allan was right today to say all arrivals should be quarantined. We know of a returning family just three days ago who almost literally waltzed in.  

What am I missing? If this is the very big threat that the Prime Minister and health authorities now tell us it is – who will take responsibility for letting the bio-guns in and creating it?

I would not be a politician if they trebled the pay, and I have never aspired to be one. But if you have aspired to lead you must be accountable for what you do.

Do I support the current efforts and our put-upon police, health and other essential services? Of course. But we should never have got here! We also have a right and, in fact, a duty to expect our media, politicians and citizens to deeply examine every step our government takes.

G Poole. 

Good morning to you all; my Coronial Subjects, it is I: Go-hard Go-early Jacinda, Queen of New Zealand, Most-efficacious Saviour of the Nation.

You will all, by now, in this time of crisis, have noticed the superb communication skills I wield in the baddle against our common enemy, and my udder determination to rid this pleasant land of private enterprise and misconceptions both.

To this end, I have been extremely clear and transparent from the ged-go, and on top of things, hard and early, prepared and ready to employ both my communication barrels, yes – head-nods AND double-adjectives – in my war on pestilent truth.

Those of you, my subjects, old enough, will remember my press conference of March 4th, 2020, when I nodded so furiously to emphasise a point I loosened a filling:

idbkiwi-The_BFD-d2.png The BFD

Reacting to the news of a second Kung-flu victim within these shores I employed a precise word as an adjecdive, an old word, a word older even than the Boomers, a word derived from Veritas – my predecessor as Goddess of Truth – to describe the potential risk posed to those who came in contact with asymptomatic Kung-flu carriers, saying to the nation: not that the risk of transmitting the virus was “low”, nor did I say the risk was “very low”, you will recall I declared the risk as “very, very, low“. And that is why we are here.

Idbkiwi-very-very-low-630x177.png The BFD. Screenshot idbkiwi

I will now hand over to Basil Bush, Coordinator of Operations for the Ministry of Truth, to explain my demeaning. Thank you for understanding.

Mike's Minute: Careful with messaging.

This week's challenge is to try and see if we can do something about the Government's messaging.

Forget the whole issue around what's local, and how far you can drive to a park. The Government, in yet another example of how this whole thing is highly political, is controlling the messages you hear on any given day.

We have been looking to get Iain Lees-Galloway on the radio show for most of last week - he is not allowed to speak to us.

We want to talk to him in his capacity as Immigration Minister. The visa issue around foreign workers both stuck here, and not allowed to come in to the country, and the issue of fruit harvesting and there not bring enough hands on deck. These are serious issues with economic implications.

We also wanted to talk to Immigration New Zealand, who were happy to talk apparently, but had been told not to.

There is a very distinct line between getting messages out that you want people to hear, which is standard practice for any government, and preventing genuine detail coming out because you don't want it to, or it might not suit your agenda.

Part of the excuse is Iain Lees-Galloway isn't on the right virus committee, so they offer up a minister who is, in a one-stop shop sort of role.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but this is not a Government festooned with great talent. A lot of these ministers under other governments would barely be making the tea, far less have a portfolio.

Simply putting a person up doesn't mean questions get answered or detail gets delivered. I'll spare names to save embarrassment but a couple of ministers were floating around last week, basically saying we don't have that detail, we haven't talked about that, I'm not sure where that sits, and any other series of 101 PR spin lines designed to say nothing.

The longer this goes on the more suspicious I get that this is a PR exercise for the Government, and they are as interested in how this plays for them politically, as they are for the lockdown itself and our wider wellbeing.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is running a very fine line between being an actual leader with decisive decision-making powers, and a TV and radio presenter with lots of time for Facebook Lives, teddies in the window, and a lot of touchy-feely be kind to each other.

While we are all bantering backward and forward about whether kayaking or abseiling is good exercise, and how far we can drive to do it, the Covid-19 numbers are going up dangerously.

It is becoming clearer the airport and testing have been a joke, there are issues around personal protection equipment and access to it, there are people who may or may not be isolating, and there is tonnes of work sitting in paddocks and fields across the country needing to be done, to actually make this country a living.

What's happening with that? And who's doing it? That's our question. Iain Lees-Galloway has the answer, and yet he's locked away.

Some of the media might want to wake up to this and realise they're being played. Surely I can't be the only one who wants some proper insight, information, and answers from the proper people.

5 hours ago, tripple alliance said:

An example .

Settlements so far:

• Ngati Tama: $14.5m deal in 2002
  • Ngati Ruanui: $41m deal in 2003
  • Nga Rauru: $31m deal in 2005
  • Ngati Mutunga: $14.9m deal in 2005
  • Ngaruahine: $67.5m deal in 2014
  • Te Atiawa: $87m deal in 2014
  • Taranaki $70m deal in 2015

Mr Finlayson told the crowd of about 300 at Pukeiti that the Taranaki settlement had a particularly bleak backdrop.

The Crown had waged an unjust war on the people of Taranaki in the 1860s and confiscated 1.2 million acres of land - all its land not already taken - and left the iwi in economic ruin.

There had been an assault on the human rights of the Taranaki iwi, Mr Finlayson said.

"It's arrest without trial, being sent off to the South Island and the Chathams, the scorched earth policies, the waging of war and shelling of settlements.

"If you want to talk about the raupatu or confiscations or the real unfairness of what happened to Taranaki iwi, (these were) pretty well near the top."

Mr Finlayson said for these wrongs the iwi was owed a long-overdue apology and the Crown deeply regretted the actions of the past.

As well as the financial redress, the settlement also includes the rights to 29 culturally significant sites, including the Ngā Motu Islands off the New Plymouth coast, and rights to a similar number of Crown properties.

"It's significant because we get to a point in time where those wrongs, those breaches of the Treaty, the manner in which our forbears were treated has been acknowledged, but also importantly what it does is it provides as an opportunity to move forward as an iwi into the future."

Mr Finlayson also spoke about the injustices that occurred at Parihaka, which was the centre of passive resistance to the Crown in the late 1800s.

It was sacked by government troops and militia in 1881 and he said a separate form of redress for the settlement was being finalised.

4 hours ago, tripple alliance said:

Hey Jack , how  many settlements would you like , it seems the government has been paying for a very long time 

This 1922 newspaper article sets out the terms of an agreement between the government and Te Arawa over access to and ownership of lakes in the Rotorua region. This agreement was one of the earliest settlements between the Crown and Māori over tribal grievances, and a forerunner of the Waitangi Tribunal settlements that began in the late 1970s.

hree Te Arawa Treaty Settlements

By Peter Johnston
26 Oct 2006

Te Arawa iwi have recently negotiated two Treaty claim settlements with the Crown.  They are also eligible for a share of the proceeds from the Maori fisheries settlement.

Lakes Settlement

The Te Arawa Lakes Settlement Act, signed by the Governor-General on 25 September 2006, benefits all members of Te Arawa.  It includes:

• Cultural redress including the return to Te Arawa ownership of the beds of 13 lakebeds in the Rotorua area, to be vested in a new Te Arawa Lakes Trust which has replaced the Arawa Maori Trust Board;
  • Financial redress of $2.7 million to recognise economic loss;
  • Annuity redress’ of $7.3 million (capitalising an annuity Te Arawa already receive from an earlier claim settlement); and
  • Participation in ongoing management of the lakes through appointing 2 of the 6 members of the new Rotorua Lakes Strategy Group.

Lands Settlement

Te Arawa’s non-lakes Treaty claims are dealt with in another Deed of Settlement.  It was signed on 30 September 2006 between the Crown and Nga Kaihautu o Te Arawa Executive Council, representing 11 iwi and hapu.

The cultural redress includes the return of 19 sites totalling 675ha, including the Whakarewarewa Thermal Springs Reserve.

The main component of the financial redress is $36 million which will be used to ‘purchase’ specified parcels of Crown forest land (excluding trees and improvements) at market value.  They will then receive the accumulated Crown forest rentals on this land.  Te Arawa will have another 6 months to purchase some or all of the balance of the 50,000ha.  The 50,000ha of forest has been valued at $175 million.

Te Arawa will also have a two-year right of deferred selection over selected Crown-owned commercial properties and geothermal assets at market value.

This settlement has yet to be ratified by the iwi and implemented through legislation.  It will be for the benefit of the 20,000 people represented by Nga Kaihautu.  Other Te Arawa groups are pursuing their Treaty claims separately.

Fisheries Settlement

As well as these onshore settlements, in September 2006 Te Arawa were also allocated $23.6 million from Te Ohu Kaimoana as their share of the Waitangi Fisheries claim.  The mandated iwi organisation, Te Kotahitanga o Te Arawa Waka Fisheries Trust, represents 11 Te Arawa iwi.

SHARE THIS PAGE:

So why are the hands still out Jack.....are you incapable of looking after your own ?? That’s everyone, not just a select few who seem to control things.

Amazes me that Maori constantly harp on about “doing their own thing, being independent, own State yada yada....” then when it suits “we are all one as New Zealanders” and the whining starts about not being looked after. 

Which is it ?? :rcf-thinking-1:

27 minutes ago, jack said:

hree Te Arawa Treaty Settlements

By Peter Johnston
26 Oct 2006

Te Arawa iwi have recently negotiated two Treaty claim settlements with the Crown.  They are also eligible for a share of the proceeds from the Maori fisheries settlement.

Lakes Settlement

The Te Arawa Lakes Settlement Act, signed by the Governor-General on 25 September 2006, benefits all members of Te Arawa.  It includes:

• Cultural redress including the return to Te Arawa ownership of the beds of 13 lakebeds in the Rotorua area, to be vested in a new Te Arawa Lakes Trust which has replaced the Arawa Maori Trust Board;
  • Financial redress of $2.7 million to recognise economic loss;
  • Annuity redress’ of $7.3 million (capitalising an annuity Te Arawa already receive from an earlier claim settlement); and
  • Participation in ongoing management of the lakes through appointing 2 of the 6 members of the new Rotorua Lakes Strategy Group.

Lands Settlement

Te Arawa’s non-lakes Treaty claims are dealt with in another Deed of Settlement.  It was signed on 30 September 2006 between the Crown and Nga Kaihautu o Te Arawa Executive Council, representing 11 iwi and hapu.

The cultural redress includes the return of 19 sites totalling 675ha, including the Whakarewarewa Thermal Springs Reserve.

The main component of the financial redress is $36 million which will be used to ‘purchase’ specified parcels of Crown forest land (excluding trees and improvements) at market value.  They will then receive the accumulated Crown forest rentals on this land.  Te Arawa will have another 6 months to purchase some or all of the balance of the 50,000ha.  The 50,000ha of forest has been valued at $175 million.

Te Arawa will also have a two-year right of deferred selection over selected Crown-owned commercial properties and geothermal assets at market value.

This settlement has yet to be ratified by the iwi and implemented through legislation.  It will be for the benefit of the 20,000 people represented by Nga Kaihautu.  Other Te Arawa groups are pursuing their Treaty claims separately.

Fisheries Settlement

As well as these onshore settlements, in September 2006 Te Arawa were also allocated $23.6 million from Te Ohu Kaimoana as their share of the Waitangi Fisheries claim.  The mandated iwi organisation, Te Kotahitanga o Te Arawa Waka Fisheries Trust, represents 11 Te Arawa iwi.