RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.

Jacinda Ardern

Some sense at last...

John Drinnan: Jacinda mania a step too far 

11 Aug, 2017 6:00am 
 4 minutes to read 

D77VGUR6GRFTLKBJZ7FG76S3SY.jpg
Jacinda Ardern's elevation has had some commentators reaching for the superlatives. Picture / Nick Reed
John Drinnan
By: John Drinnan
John Drinnan is the Media writer for the New Zealand Herald.
jdrinnan@xtra.co.nz @Zagzigger2

As the election campaign heads into full swing, nobody would have predicted the sorts of upheavals that have engulfed both Labour and the Greens.

In Labour's case, it was not hard to detect a degree of bias in some coverage of Jacinda Ardern's sudden elevation.

True, Labour's new leader has not put a foot wrong so far. But my giddy aunt, some of the coverage has been way over the top.

Why did some media people transform Ardern from the leader of a failing party rating at just 23 per cent in the polls, to some sort of Joan of Arc figure?

ADVERTISEMENT

In my opinion, some media folk began channelling the views of Labour supporters who were excited to see the party back in with a chance. Another factor, I think, was feminism, and some people seeing special significance in the prospect of another woman Prime Minister.

There has been a largely positive reaction to Labour's attempt to improve the party spin machine, by appointing political veteran Mike Munro as a strategic adviser.

After working in the Press Gallery for papers including the Herald, Munro was Helen Clark's chief press secretary for six years, and has a wealth of other PR experience.

I believe he will be a clever choice, who knows the multifaceted demands of election campaigns.

But Munro has been out of journalism for a long time, and I do wonder how important the Gallery is these days when it comes to selling the parties' brands. Over the past nine years, John Key and National ministers have become used to talking to voters over the heads of journalists, who ask difficult and often negative questions.

After all, who wants to deal with Guyon when you can chat to Jay-Jay?

Just the numbersNational Party election organiser and Finance Minister Steven Joyce says the consultancy firm Crosby Textor will have a comparatively small role in the upcoming election.

Partner Sir Lynton Crosby has managed campaigns for right-leaning parties in a variety of countries.

He has been pilloried by some in the UK for the $4 million - $85,000 a day, according to some reports - he was paid for his work on the Conservative Party's election campaign, which ended with Prime Minister Theresa May losing her majority.

Joyce said National had always focused on Crosby Textor's polling, unlike some parties in other countries which had made wider use of its services.

Meanwhile, Joyce says a team of young staff has been building up for the election, including co-ordinator Clark Hennessy.

Hennessy has worked as a press secretary, including for deputy Prime Minister Paula Bennett.

He has also worked further afield. For 12 months he worked for the right-wing US "Daily Caller" website, run by the high-profile conservative commentator Tucker Carlson. Hennessy worked for the popular website as a director of communications.

He was also an intern for Texas Republican congressman Mike Conaway and a communications and research fellow for North Carolina congressman Richard Hudson, also a Republican.

On 10/08/2017 at 9:16 AM, Ohokaman said:

This surge for Labour is understandable if a bit mystifying. 

If it's "Mystifying" to you then you haven't been observing world politics over the past two years.....and i know you have. To me, the surge in Labour's polling, following Adern's elevation, was highly predictable. 

The Water policy will be an interesting battle. Labour will pitch it as overseas companies exporting our precious commodity and giving NZ nothing in return. National will say "poor farmers" and costs passed on to NZ consumers. It will depend who we listen too. Right now I'm listening to Jacinta, because she's prettier than Bill.

Ardern will be well and truly tested over the next 6 weeks, if she doesn't measure up with both her personal style and demeanour and Labour's policies, then she will be cast aside by voters, just like Metiria Turei.

I'm looking forward to it, as with Little, Labour were just sleep walking their way to defeat, at least now we have a contest

2 hours ago, Uriah Heap said:

If it's "Mystifying" to you then you haven't been observing world politics over the past two years.....and i know you have. To me, the surge in Labour's polling, following Adern's elevation, was highly predictable. 

The Water policy will be an interesting battle. Labour will pitch it as overseas companies exporting our precious commodity and giving NZ nothing in return. National will say "poor farmers" and costs passed on to NZ consumers. It will depend who we listen too. Right now I'm listening to Jacinta, because she's prettier than Bill.

Don't be dumb Uriah, you know what I meant. Any new leader always gets a bump, particularly if the females like them. Whether that lasts up until election day, we will have to wait and see.

The thought of that mob, along with the Greens and that bloody annoying Yank, running the country should help the emigration figures if nothing else.

What is mystifying is that so many see her as a Joan of Arc figure who will put everything right, despite having a CV which reads under "Achievements".....Sweet FA.

:rolleyes:

IMG_2468.JPG

On 8/13/2017 at 2:43 PM, aquaman said:

I think the feminists have taken over the Green party. All blokes out.

What happened to the gender quota?? I guess it is down to shaving armpits and chins or not to get the "balance'. This election looming as a bloody nightmare. Time Dunne got the shove, racist "Maori" party deemed to be just that, racist.Greens just plain scary.

I believe it is more than a bump for Labour in polls.

What Jacinda has done is get some young people excited enough to at least enrol.

Whether that makes any difference come Election Day well who knows but I hope so.

Interesting that Jacinda is keeping well away from any forum where there is intellectual gravitas or political experience. Photo opportunities have been at her old school, university, street meetings, etc. But then again she has a degree in "media studies". Will be found out by the "Hosk" asking difficult questions but the clincher to get the young mobilised will be free fees as I alluded to some time ago.

I notice the press is only showing weak Bill and people like Coleman as alternatives. No Paula, Judith, Nikki etc to counter Jacinda. Mind you National has done themselves no favours with Bill's Clutha amnesia and Nick Smith's dreadful fingerprints all over some dodgy legislation.

I am certain there will be a change of government but what a mess it will be--another step backwards for democracy as we know it .

11 minutes ago, chevy86 said:

I am certain there will be a change of government but what a mess it will be--another step backwards for democracy as we know it .

Correct me if I'm wrong, but whoever polls higher out of National and Labour, has the first option to form a government, so still a big ask

1 hour ago, hesi said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but whoever polls higher out of National and Labour, has the first option to form a government, so still a big ask

You are right hesi--I cannot see the wood for the trees. So maybe National/NzFirst/Act and consign that racist Maori Party to history, and Winnie would have gone full circle back to his natural position.

They have the same conundrum in Australia with the Aborigines pushing for a separate constitution and liberal academics entertaining the apartheid set-up. Good journalism by Alan Jones, Andrew Bolt,Graham Richardson , Peta Credlin doing their best to keep it at bay but up against the state-funded ABC full of leftie tribalists.

15 minutes ago, chevy86 said:

So maybe National/NzFirst/Act 

With a resurgent Labour likely to take votes off National, it looks the most likely option, so Winston will get a carte blanche with Racing.

Then again, Labour are going to appeal to the female of the species, which is over 50% of the voting populace and the young, many of whom never bothered to vote before, but now find there is an issue that is affecting them directly, namely housing affordability, particularly in Auckland.

So maybe Labour could get first shot

1 hour ago, hesi said:

With a resurgent Labour likely to take votes off National, it looks the most likely option, so Winston will get a carte blanche with Racing.

Then again, Labour are going to appeal to the female of the species, which is over 50% of the voting populace and the young, many of whom never bothered to vote before, but now find there is an issue that is affecting them directly, namely housing affordability, particularly in Auckland.

Now they are promising students free driving lessons FFS.....is there anything some of these people won't do...? :rolleyes:

On 14/08/2017 at 8:38 PM, hesi said:

Not only the female population Hesi. A snap poll of one young, first time voter in our house showed a sharp move away from Greens when their leader noted she'd defrauded WINZ; followed by a warm embracing of the new young attractive Labour leader. Ahhh the young -  On such minor matters as a small fraud and a good looking chick is our nations future decided.

On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:51 PM, Ohokaman said:

Now they are promising students free driving lessons FFS.....is there anything some of these people won't do...? :rolleyes:

No such thing as free driving lessons.You and i will be paying big time and the AA and their mates will be rubbing their hands with glee.

I suppose they can always get out and work their arse off so they can get a house.

One  of my sons got a low paying job but worked 12 hr shifts,he got a house.

Another son worked 8 to 5, spent his spare time partying,golfing and just generally being lazy.

He ain't got a house.

Attitude is the problem.

2 hours ago, Uriah Heap said:

Ahhh the young -  On such minor matters as a small fraud and a good looking chick is our nations future decided.

Oh yee of little faith, it's still a democracy we live in not a dictatorship, although Piggy Muldoon tried hard to disprove that

3 minutes ago, crustyngrizzly said:

I suppose they can always get out and work their arse off so they can get a house.

One  of my sons got a low paying job but worked 12 hr shifts,he got a house.

Another son worked 8 to 5, spent his spare time partying,golfing and just generally being lazy.

He ain't got a house.

Attitude is the problem.

That's got to be the 8th wonder of the modern world Crusty, how did he save 200k and how does he afford a 500k mortgage. 

What sort of nefarious activity does the boy get up to:)o

2 hours ago, hesi said:

That's got to be the 8th wonder of the modern world Crusty, how did he save 200k and how does he afford a 500k mortgage. 

What sort of nefarious activity does the boy get up to:)o

A few add ons.

Met a lovely lady on same wavelength after about 3 years of saving.

Moved into a rental with 2 other couples.(not something i would do)

Lived in this situation for 18 months until the inevitable happened.

Combined kiwi saver benefits and purchased own home.

Not in Auckland

Still working 12hr shifts and more if available.

Working hard now to make it easier later.

2 hours ago, crustyngrizzly said:

A few add ons.

Met a lovely lady on same wavelength after about 3 years of saving.

Moved into a rental with 2 other couples.(not something i would do)

Lived in this situation for 18 months until the inevitable happened.

Combined kiwi saver benefits and purchased own home.

Not in Auckland

Still working 12hr shifts and more if available.

Working hard now to make it easier later.

Tell them to move further North...much better value and Coopers Beach is booming....;)

2 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Tell them to move further North...much better value and Coopers Beach is booming....;)

My Dad bought a beachfront section at Coopers Beach many years ago for 7,000 pounds I think.

You're right though Coopers Beach and Mangonui have become the new Parnell and Ponsonby, still a very scenic place to visit though.

That Mangonui Fish and Chip shop is grossly over rated though