RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Abernant

otaki

4 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

I'm afraid I am a bit out of touch with certain aspects of the racing industry, so at the risk of appearing quite ignorant, what is the story with Foxton these days? In years gone by it would have been an option for some of these abandoned meetings.

It's designated as a training and trials facility only by NZTR.

10 minutes ago, Leggy said:

It's designated as a training and trials facility only by NZTR.

Thanks for that Leggy. Any idea what the rationale is behind that? I know the previous caretaker burnt down some of the facilities, but so few people go to winter racing these days that you surely don't need much in the way of public facilities.

Any idea what the track conditions are like if it is being used for trials.?

33 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Thanks for that Leggy. Any idea what the rationale is behind that? I know the previous caretaker burnt down some of the facilities, but so few people go to winter racing these days that you surely don't need much in the way of public facilities.

Any idea what the track conditions are like if it is being used for trials.?

There are trials there on Tuesday. I'd expect good winter footing but check the NZTR site on the day for actual track conditions. The water table is exceptionally high in the area and that can (although rarely) affect Foxton as with other tracks. No-one yet seems to have figured out a way to get water to run uphill.

Don't hold your breath on Tuesday's trials going ahead , decision to be made after couple of gallops on course proper in morning , strong push to miss Tuesday to ensure following set a fortnight later don't get jeopardised leading into spring racing . 

5 hours ago, Leggy said:

There are trials there on Tuesday. I'd expect good winter footing but check the NZTR site on the day for actual track conditions. The water table is exceptionally high in the area and that can (although rarely) affect Foxton as with other tracks. No-one yet seems to have figured out a way to get water to run uphill.

The Inca's did. Maybe reschedule for Lima?

3 hours ago, nomates said:

Don't hold your breath on Tuesday's trials going ahead , decision to be made after couple of gallops on course proper in morning , strong push to miss Tuesday to ensure following set a fortnight later don't get jeopardised leading into spring racing . 

Hardly a shred of rain in the forecast between now and Tuesday. Gallops tomorrow will hardly determine the state of the track then, though I doubt they will indicate any problem. Provided the track is put back promptly, another set of trials in two weeks is hardly likely to be an issue. Don't really get your point. Sounds like vested interests at play to me.

My point is to pass on the information as i know it , forecast not relevant , regular heavy rain has saturated everything , whatever track is like in morning is going to be pretty much what you get tuesday . As for vested interests the industry is full of them .

17 hours ago, Leggy said:

No-one yet seems to have figured out a way to get water to run uphill.

Just being a smartarse here

Hey this quick fix idea just occurred to me and might be affordable and achievable, done in conjunction with the council, could kill 2 birds with one stone, to cut costs.

Roll out / retract (weather dependent) clear polythene from the top of the outside running rail to a stainless steel u-tube water collection system at the bottom of the inside running rail, piped to town water collection tanks situated in-field or drainpipes (depending on purity for drinking)

Wallah, No more Track problems, 

(if some prick actually does it, you heard it 1st here, and I want royalties...LOL)

Who knows, it might even be more cost efficient to incorporate your fanciful idea than the other fanciful idea of all weather tracks, of which there are many many different versions, all of which fail in no time whatsoever. 

26 minutes ago, Insider said:

Who knows, it might even be more cost efficient to incorporate your fanciful idea than the other fanciful idea of all weather tracks, of which there are many many different versions, all of which fail in no time whatsoever. 

There's never been a polymer based failure yet old fella.

It's those with wax in them that fail, and of course NZTR was considering Tapeta, and it's wax based !!!

OK young man, educate me further (and many others on here) and tell us which are the polymer based tracks in Australia that are success stories. Also around the world, then we will be more enlightened and possibly less prone to an uneducated point of view.

Firstly, as you know well I'm very well educated and this is my field of expertise and interest.

I talk to these people, I've tried their tracks, I go to the conferences where these matters are discussed and peer reviewed papers are presented.

Read this, they don't fail. I think Strathayr is aesthetically better but this technology is world class.

Now leave me alone, I'm off to a big party with hundreds of beautiful women and fabulous people, whiskey, tequila, champagne, a six piece playing swing pop music, dancing, and other naughty things, read about it in the papers next week Liz.

http://www.prorideracing.com/about

9 hours ago, porky said:

Just being a smartarse here

Hey this quick fix idea just occurred to me and might be affordable and achievable, done in conjunction with the council, could kill 2 birds with one stone, to cut costs.

Roll out / retract (weather dependent) clear polythene from the top of the outside running rail to a stainless steel u-tube water collection system at the bottom of the inside running rail, piped to town water collection tanks situated in-field or drainpipes (depending on purity for drinking)

Wallah, No more Track problems, 

(if some prick actually does it, you heard it 1st here, and I want royalties...LOL)

You been downtown again Porky.....? ;)

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=252659

43 minutes ago, barryb said:

If the greens have their way the taxpayer will be paying  $ 60 a week to breed and support more of these low life's .

2 minutes ago, puha said:

If the greens have their way the taxpayer will be paying  $ 60 a week to breed and support more of these low life's .

Yes scary thought.

Just waiting for the article that says they were living in a car, or from an abusive family or any other bloody excuse they can come up with.

16 hours ago, Midget said:

Firstly, as you know well I'm very well educated and this is my field of expertise and interest.

I talk to these people, I've tried their tracks, I go to the conferences where these matters are discussed and peer reviewed papers are presented.

Read this, they don't fail. I think Strathayr is aesthetically better but this technology is world class.

http://www.prorideracing.com/about

Yes we have lost more than normal meetings (i Think)...this winter...BUT
horses like a variety of surfaces to race on...,some prefer heavy
please stop shoving all weather tracks down our throats.
Hawkes Bay has quite a nice annual climate thanks and provides a good mix of track conditions.
If Ellerslie or Trentham or Riccarton or whatever club want to make the investment, so be it, they have larger horse populations and
possibly experience more fickle weather and boggy un-racable tracks. IMHO only.
exactly what are you suggesting?