THEME UPGRADE IN PROGRESS PLEASE BE PATIENT...THANKS EVERYONE
pogo(aus)

mile times/rates

Recommended Posts

i turned on the tv to watch todays races and up popped a harness race from meadowlands usa :blink:, and the winner lady shadow ran 1.49 :blink:

boris reckons mount eden, manaroa, bay foyle, robin dundee, halwes, paleface, hondo and co must have been slugs :blink:

bring back harold park , melbourne showgrounds, wayville etc these one mile tracks are rubbish:o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pogo(aus) said:

i turned on the tv to watch todays races and up popped a harness race from meadowlands usa :blink:, and the winner lady shadow ran 1.49 :blink:

boris reckons mount eden, manaroa, bay foyle, robin dundee, halwes, paleface, hondo and co must have been slugs :blink:

bring back harold park , melbourne showgrounds, wayville etc these one mile tracks are rubbish:o

Very unusual post ........AND?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, harewood said:

Very unusual post ........AND?

how 's that ?

just an observation harewood

menangle is a joke, its a white elephant, ghost city....

harold park was a great track.

what next straight track racing for the red hots ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a trend for clubs to sell off prime positions and use the funds to prop up the game in second class locations. But any on course "atmosphere" has disappeared as quickly as the track sizes have increased, to the point now where only the died-in-the-wool enthusiasts turn up on course any more.

Trotting has virtually become a "made for television" product these days, and the people at the top seem to think big tracks and fast mile times are the answer to the games problems. Nothing culd be further from the truth. We're copying a US model that has been floundering for longer than we have.

I wonder if it's dawned on any NZ administrators that the most successful, self sustaining track in Australasia also happens to have kept their great location, have the smallest track, the most competitive racing, and the crowd closest to the track?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JackSprat said:

There's a trend for clubs to sell off prime positions and use the funds to prop up the game in second class locations. But any on course "atmosphere" has disappeared as quickly as the track sizes have increased, to the point now where only the died-in-the-wool enthusiasts turn up on course any more.

Trotting has virtually become a "made for television" product these days, and the people at the top seem to think big tracks and fast mile times are the answer to the games problems. Nothing culd be further from the truth. We're copying a US model that has been floundering for longer than we have.

I wonder if it's dawned on any NZ administrators that the most successful, self sustaining track in Australasia also happens to have kept their great location, have the smallest track, the most competitive racing, and the crowd closest to the track?

Busselton? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny how people have such widely different oppions  People hate  Cambridge for the Jewels as it is too small, front running track favoring the draws, gloucester park for the IDs has been slammed for the same reason and here we have people saying that is what they want. Harold Park was a joke of a track as a betting proposition. get to the front and mostly all over. Sure the smaller tracks make for great spectacles and the public is close up but as a fairness option for giving the best horse the best chance to win they dont compare to Addington, Ashburton Melton Menangle etc etc. A balance to both is required. Smaller tracks for the spectacle and the larger tracks for the money races. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the South Australian's are running a one-off (at this stage anyway), race meeting in November at the old 500m Wayville track at the Adelaide Showgrounds. It'll be interesting to see what sort of a turnout they get.

The trouble with a one-off meeting like this that none of the modern day drivers know how to drive the small track any more. Plus unlike Wayville's heyday when they ran 16 or more per race, they'll probably be running scared of all the health and safety laws, and run 6 horse fields. But given the current state of trotting in SA that'll probably all the horses they can round up anyway!

Having been to meetings at Wayville, the Melbourne Showgrounds, and Harold Park in their heyday, I'm afraid todays race meetings are very much a second rate spectacle, irrespective of how great the 1400m tracks are, how fast they're running, or what ever the name is of the latest superstar, never to be heard of again 2yo is!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wayville... I had an old journo mate who sadly is no longer with us who made a Motza out of backing the pole marker back in the early seventies, and who could forget Hello winning the last at HP back in the day :P, Legality:wub: Laurie moulds, perc hall,Kevin Newman,  neutrodyne, precise lass, lumpy dean and co, Andy Vincent commentating, "by gee its close " , Ray Conroy, God bless, bookies everywhere, the leger packed too, beer in glasses, cardboard betting tickets, and stand starts 12 yards, 24 yards, 36 yards , the strands fly back, Boris and Zelda pawing through the trotguide, and a visit to the Toxteth, great days.

if you sheep shearers are over here Bankstown is still worth a visit, don't expect a crowd or 50 plus bookies like the old days but the races have some action not the typical follow the leader like Menangle devoid of interest until the last 400.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hardest part now is that the tracks have been set up to be as fast as possible it takes mid race moves almost out of play, Especailly in big money races where a lot more good horses are capable of running fast even sectional. Deeper slower tracks with create more action in races .With the right person on the job they could grade the tracks  to mark the running line slightly deeper and thin it out the wider your get.  Which would allow back wide runners a chance to get closer  and potentially more horses in the frame for photo finishers.  It doesn't have to be a  noticeable different so the leaders run half way up the track to get better ground but the slightest depth difference could create great racing.With tracks so hard and fast now going wide cost you so much more ground than it should which makes races boring as leaders generally finish ahead of the pack  with out much challengers up the straight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2017 at 7:32 PM, hsvman said:

The hardest part now is that the tracks have been set up to be as fast as possible it takes mid race moves almost out of play, Especailly in big money races where a lot more good horses are capable of running fast even sectional. Deeper slower tracks with create more action in races .With the right person on the job they could grade the tracks  to mark the running line slightly deeper and thin it out the wider your get.  Which would allow back wide runners a chance to get closer  and potentially more horses in the frame for photo finishers.  It doesn't have to be a  noticeable different so the leaders run half way up the track to get better ground but the slightest depth difference could create great racing.With tracks so hard and fast now going wide cost you so much more ground than it should which makes races boring as leaders generally finish ahead of the pack  with out much challengers up the straight.

Interesting thought. Those in the galloping code would be shocked to suggest deliberately curating tracks to create a track bias.

Rather than alter the footing would increasing cambers help the situation at all? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2017 at 9:00 PM, JackSprat said:

There's a trend for clubs to sell off prime positions and use the funds to prop up the game in second class locations. But any on course "atmosphere" has disappeared as quickly as the track sizes have increased, to the point now where only the died-in-the-wool enthusiasts turn up on course any more.

Trotting has virtually become a "made for television" product these days, and the people at the top seem to think big tracks and fast mile times are the answer to the games problems. Nothing culd be further from the truth. We're copying a US model that has been floundering for longer than we have.

I wonder if it's dawned on any NZ administrators that the most successful, self sustaining track in Australasia also happens to have kept their great location, have the smallest track, the most competitive racing, and the crowd closest to the track?

You forgot the no passing lane and the finest climate for evening entertainment close to the city centre. Whether they are going good as an industry is questionable. 

On another note, RWWA and NZRB both totaled profits and subsequent distributions to the racing industry of about the same value to EOFY 2016. Despite this somehow their thoroughbreds race for at least twice as much at the Saturday meeting as a minimum and they race for $18k as a minimum base excluding conditioned events on a Friday night at the magnificent GP. Not sure how this works or why the massive discrepancy..... Maybe due to the one feature track per code with the smaller country tracks running at lesser stakes supporting and feeding the city meets rather than the even spread across the board like here in NZ. As much as it hurts to say it that is one tick for centralization. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.