RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rdytdy

Brian De Lore - Article

How can Clubs manage when all the money is collected and spent by NZRB? Sure, Clubs like Ellerslie have great revenue streams but don't forget, they were in deep shit debt at one point and are fortunate to have a heavily populated area as a source to draw patronage to their function centre - without resorting to having the "Merchants of Debt" (pokies) to rely on. Otaki, Cromwell, etc have no such luxury.

On 6/16/2017 at 2:21 PM, hesi said:

And a 1% levy on all wagering to go directly into a Marketing and Promotion fund and double up on that to go to  an Infrastructure Fund

The article glosses over the lack of what was ever done by Racing as an industry to compete 

You can't expect to keep market share if you don't promote to each new generation

Would you really give any funding to these clowns Hesi, based on past experiences ??

There has never been a quality Marketing Department ( and that applies to almost every Club too ) that understands the betting market and how to reach it...precisely and cost effectively. Given my experiences with Racing Clubs in NZ, most see any Marketing and or promotion as a waste of money as they have no idea how to quantify results of any expenditure.

The same seems to apply here.

1 hour ago, Trump said:

How can Clubs manage when all the money is collected and spent by NZRB? Sure, Clubs like Ellerslie have great revenue streams but don't forget, they were in deep shit debt at one point and are fortunate to have a heavily populated area as a source to draw patronage to their function centre - without resorting to having the "Merchants of Debt" (pokies) to rely on. Otaki, Cromwell, etc have no such luxury.

Also some pretty expensive Real Estate Trumpy.....without those developments they would have been deep in the mire.

1 hour ago, hesi said:

Well that is the problem isn't Dave, no confidence in the national body, but that can't go on if there is ever to be an improvement in things

For the record(and it's all in the NZTR Annual report), approx 90 % of what they get from the RB, goes into stakes, the other 10 % into admin, wages salaries etc, I think it is about 3-4 mil goes into salaries and wages, not an excessive figure to be honest.  Very little of the 10% that is left goes into Marketing and nothing towards infrastructure/R&D etc.., so not sure how they could manage their finances better

The 1% levies I suggested would generate millions each year specifically for Marketing and Infrastructure.

I'm not suggesting it comes out of increased takeout rates...... I'm not stupid.

Effectively, the money comes from Trumps continued emphasis on cost cutting at the RB.  The RB clip the ticket too much to collect funds for the Racing industry and this impacts directly on the lack of money for Marketing and Infrastructure, simply there is none, so something needs to change.

Many large organisations have a levy that goes directly towards Marketing, every Lotto outlet will pay a fee, a % of every Kiwifruit sold goes towards the national body etc etc

Don't we already have a national body (perhaps more of a corpse?) that already gets substantial levies from the NZRB to administer? And isn't it that body, which has decided for many years to waste that money on stakes and spend virtually nothing on the likes of marketing and infrastructure. It has even recently successfully lobbied the NZRB to borrow against prospective future earnings to increase those paid levies but again with the funds earmarked exclusively for stakes, hasn't it?

A bit of a curve ball here, but why is it that every successful sport in the world is run by people who were successful at the sport in question, not exclusively but largely, think about rugby and yachting for example.

Why is it that NZ racing is mostly run by people who've no real credentials and who've generally done nothing of significance in the sport/business of racing ?

The most extreme example would be the Fockerd/Guppy duo, they don't seem satisfied with the mess they've created at their local track Trentham, so now they're trying to fuck the national industry by orchestrating their warped chicanery at the Member's Council.

All a bit odd really and probably one of the major reasons racing is absolutely fucked in NZ.

48 minutes ago, hesi said:

but if they directed more money into infrastructure, R&D and Marketing, the amount for stakes would reduce by maybe 20%, the wails would be deafening

I like to nominate a "fuckwit of the week" prize when I can, and you're today's winner Hesi.

Name the last successful publicly listed company that paid all its profits out in shareholders dividends instead of capital investment, or using a healthy proportion for R&D.

Oh that's right, there's never been one, well one that did it and lasted, fuckwit.

The only reason NZ racing has ever pursued this ludicrous, and ultimately fatal, strategy of spending every cent on stakes is because it's historically been orchestrated by the breeders who, by virtue of their misplaced superiority complexes, think the wider industry should be subsidizing their ( the breeder's ) racing activities.

Anyway one more time Hesi, you're the fuckwit of the week, and your prize is a voucher at a HQ equal to your intellect / IQ, and guess what, you owe me.

Paddy power was preferred to TABCORP to partner the TAB going forward.

This article is simply trying to have another swipe at what has already been decided and approved by the NZRB. This is a decision that all codes supported.

Get aboard and support the NZRB team.

1 hour ago, hesi said:

but if they directed more money into infrastructure, R&D and Marketing, the amount for stakes would reduce by maybe 20%, the wails would be deafening

That's the trouble. The emptiest vessels make the most noise and continue to bring about their own downfall because NZTR respond to the wails instead of good practice and common sense. I would argue that if the investment had been made 15 years ago, possibly even 5 years ago (along with a few other things also not happening because of the wailing), stakes would be much higher today, even allowing for the contribution being made now by mortgaging our future based on very dubious projections.

Ask yourself, if NZTR by some miracle were suddenly distributed another 1% of turnover, where would they spend it? I can guarantee it wouldn't be infrastructure or marketing.

3 hours ago, Patiti said:

Paddy power was preferred to TABCORP to partner the TAB going forward.

This article is simply trying to have another swipe at what has already been decided and approved by the NZRB. This is a decision that all codes supported.

Get aboard and support the NZRB team.

Why the hell would anyone support them on this decision? It's right up there with buying Typhoon as their most absurd decision ever. 

46 minutes ago, Patiti said:

Another article his week praising Messara and slapping the NZRB.

Where does this guy come from. Completely unnecessary and published in a NZRB publication.

Unbelievable.

Brian has long history in the game. Two positions that I know that he formerly had was editor of the Racetrack Magazine - Australia and General manager of Ra Ora Stud -Auckland. He was also a long time contributor to the Bloodhorse magazine - NZ. 

Whist he has not made his income from the NZ Racing or Breeding industry for a long time he has continued to follow it intently. 

Once the blood of the game is in your veins it never leaves!

I would venture to say that in the past he was very highly thought of as a journalist, and with his current articles one can see why. 

For the record the Informant is a privately owned publication doing a great job in a very tough market. 

I doubt that there is any industry, harder to be profitable in, than print media.  Just ask anyone!

19 hours ago, Patiti said:

Another article his week praising Messara and slapping the NZRB.

Where does this guy come from. Completely unnecessary and published in a NZRB publication.

Unbelievable.

How do you figure The Informant is owned by the NZRB? What a plonker, it would not make any sense for him to do so on your basis of evaluation. Don't dig the hole any deeper.