RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Bruce M

Nostalgia

They won the double at Greymouth at the old November meeting then went up on the second day of the Avondale Cup meeting and won the double there - the Governor Generals Cup and Concorde(I think - and I think it was the same day at Avondale - I know they both won there and in an age when that was a meeting of high class horses) I see there is another Scotch Mist running around now but he was a very good horse of Ray Harris' yes as was Brutus who later went to stud. Just some of many smart horses Ray Harris had.  I remember he would bring five or six truckloads over to the Coast and half a dozen apprentices as well.  A great supporter of West Coast racing and real character.  RIP

Thanks for that, i knew they won on the coast before trip north, Ray way a great stalwart, and provided a huge team to the circuit, don't see those stable numbers around the coast anymore, also lost some of his jockeys along the way, Tane Mathews Hunter thomas, Dean Morel and later Ray Hewinson, but his passing was some years after Ray Harris.

Back to the 3 division race discussion.

I have a racebook in my "nostalgia" pile for the Helensville District Racing Club annual tote meeting Thursday 16 October 1980, where the last race was a maiden 1200M run in 3 divisions.  Each division was run for a stake of $750 split between the first 3 home.

I see Turanganui in a 1400M race for Charlie Faulkner, he won a few and just might turn out to be the best horse to race on the day.

4 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Colada incidentally I remember winning her very first start as a two year old at something like $197 to one.  Maurice Jones trained her, a bloke Waugh I think owned her and she was by Rangong.  She went on to be a bloody good horse

I seem to remember a $200 Div in the 80,s...A double leg...was it Awapuni? , Trentham? (can recall it, starting to irk me)...was it Al Donte, Al something I think 

probably not though...HELP PLEASE

The old listen to the Radio Pacific ...Keith Haub / Peter Kelly days

44 minutes ago, Shad said:

Thanks for that, i knew they won on the coast before trip north, Ray way a great stalwart, and provided a huge team to the circuit, don't see those stable numbers around the coast anymore, also lost some of his jockeys along the way, Tane Mathews Hunter thomas, Dean Morel and later Ray Hewinson, but his passing was some years after Ray Harris.

I think that Brutus won a Thornton Mile as well(though it would have been the George Adams or Marlboro Mile or something then) Pretty bloody good nag