RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
I know

Southland !

I'll start with the box's , not opening again ? They had the same problem at the start of May then went on to hand start for the next meeting clearly the problem is not fixed do they get fined ?? Will they hand start for there next meeting ? Can we expect the same at the start of next month ?. Also is there any truth that they watered the track at 6am when there was a frost ? The track looked shocking on tv, looked a nice day down there but still at race 7 water could be seen splashing as the dogs were running. Will this be a regular thing coming into winter ? 

3 hours ago, shelley said:

No they werent needed or wanted,thet didnt come with a warranty///

don't know about not needed Georgina the dogs who used to bang their heads ( and have war wounds to prove this) would say yes they were needed, but to get hand me downs is not fair surely the club deserved new boxes. Hope with all the problems that the powers to be give you new ones.

PS go Lumpy!!!!

15 hours ago, jasonmccook1 said:

don't know about not needed Georgina the dogs who used to bang their heads ( and have war wounds to prove this) would say yes they were needed, but to get hand me downs is not fair surely the club deserved new boxes. Hope with all the problems that the powers to be give you new ones.

PS go Lumpy!!!!

Sorry, all the money spent on a new web design, not much left for unimportant things like boxes.

56 minutes ago, aquaman said:

Sorry, all the money spent on a new web design, not much left for unimportant things like boxes.

There was some money leftover but they spent that on lawyers fee's to determine whether the new social media "gagging" policy would actually have a leg to stand on in a NZ court of law....

Lucky your not the track manager jimmyintheruck 3 days on and we would all still be waiting for the track to defrost! Hey tell me when your car window screen freezes you know the way to defrost it is by putting water on it right :) 

It must be said what a great job they are doing with the track down there, it's been flying lately!

3 hours ago, Donald Duck said:

Lucky your not the track manager jimmyintheruck 3 days on and we would all still be waiting for the track to defrost! Hey tell me when your car window screen freezes you know the way to defrost it is by putting water on it right :) 

It must be said what a great job they are doing with the track down there, it's been flying lately!

Cant really use the window thing as an example as you don't have fine tuned animals running on your car window do you?

4 hours ago, Donald Duck said:

Was it you Donald ? Did you use hot water ? 

7 hours ago, jimmyintheruck said:

The track manager at Ascot Park is bloody hopeless. The track would have been fine if he hadn't watered it in the frost. It's not the first time - will he ever learn?

Hi JIMMYINTHERUCK

Thanks for your opinion of me - it's all good as it's impossible to please everyone :D. Can I ask Jimmy - what you know about the process of defrosting the track and more importantly can you run me through the whole process that occurred on Tuesday and your take on how much water was used, the times applied and why it was used when it was?

Once you give me your version then we can compare our ways of defrosting the track and perhaps we can come up with a better way of doing it that works for all parties but come up with it in a constructive way instead of shooting off at the hip.

Remember that this process was implemented after the abandonment of our meeting on June 23, 2015 when we lost a meeting due to a frozen track.  Incidentally that day no water was used in the thawing process.  This process has been used on 6 different occasions since then without fail.

I look forward to your constructive opinions so we can move forward together.

Thanks

Tim Eade - Track Manager, Southland Greyhound Racing Club.

1 minute ago, Tim said:

Hi JIMMYINTHERUCK

Thanks for your opinion of me - it's all good as it's impossible to please everyone :D. Can I ask Jimmy - what you know about the process of defrosting the track and more importantly can you run me through the whole process that occurred on Tuesday and your take on how much water was used, the times applied and why it was used when it was?

Once you give me your version then we can compare our ways of defrosting the track and perhaps we can come up with a better way of doing it that works for all parties but come up with it in a constructive way instead of shooting off at the hip.

Remember that this process was implemented after the abandonment of our meeting on June 23, 2015 when we lost a meeting due to a frozen track.  Incidentally that day no water was used in the thawing process.  This process has been used on 6 different occasions since then without fail.

Thanks

well said

15 hours ago, Donald Duck said:

Jason it's not hard to work out that water will defrost ice , so I think it's relatively the same concept no matter what surface it is.

If you defrost the ice on your windsreen and leave the water there it will freeze again even worse, been there done that

15 hours ago, Tim said:

Hi JIMMYINTHERUCK

Thanks

Tim why beat around the bush , why not give the facts of what happen that day ? 

56 minutes ago, GOM said:

If you defrost the ice on your windsreen and leave the water there it will freeze again even worse, been there done that

That's not hard to work out either! Hence why the club get the tractor on the track at the same time! Seems logical 

3 hours ago, I know said:

Tim why beat around the bush , why not give the facts of what happen that day ? 

Not a problem - I know ...... the process actually beings the day before when the track surface is spiked and opened up so that on race morning there is access into the surface.  I arrived  at the track at 6.15am  and applied water around 6.45am. Now at this stage before the water is applied the track is frozen to a depth of around 25-30mm.  The water effectively softens the top of the frozen sand (which you have to remember has been spiked the day before) allowing the tractor which follows in behind to start the breaking up process of that top 25-30mm.  The amount of water applied at this stage was no more than 350L spread across and around the whole track.  This water is not allowed to sit and freeze as the track surface is constantly worked during this time.  In fact the surface was worked right up until 10 minutes before race 1.  Water was applied at 2 other stages through the process - again with the truck at 9.45 am where another 350L across the whole track,  where at this stage the sand has been broken into stone like clumps and the water again helps in the process of breaking down those clumps in conjunction with the tractor which is still moving the surface around.  The final stage of watering occurred between 10.45 and 11.10am when the outside irrigation was used to defrost the outer extremities of the track as well as the artificial turf in front of the boxes, as well as the stone like sand ice cubes that hadn't quite defrosted on the track.

If you have any positive ideas on how this process can be refined then I'm all for it.

Well I'm off to rugby now - might find JIMMY hiding in the bottom of the ruck :D

Tim

Hi Tim. 

I do realise that it's not nzgra's way to throw money at problems and Southland isn't a wealthy club to be investing heavily itself. I'm also not saying the track was in poor condition as I only watched one race an was really only focused on the preformace of my dog.

I can remember a long time ago watching a show, maybe country calander, on vineyards I think it was. An how frosts could destroy their years crop. To counter this they had 2 options. Have barrel fires to keep the air warm enough not to freeze or hire helecoptors to fly over and disrupte the still air. I reckon I've seen some with their own windmills to do the same thing.  Maybe having a chat to a few horticulturists or engineers on the topic of frosts or others on the forum might have experience in this field. 

Cheers 

James

On 6/7/2017 at 9:42 AM, lad27 said:

Boxes were sent to Southland from Wanganui, as it was their old boxes. As far as I'm aware southland didnt want them.

Do box's not have Re Manufactured by Taylor engineering on them?? others around country do.

Time to start ringing Taylors telling them to put them right, Not good enough take the money and not stand by a job.

People power gets action and publicity.

Water on Ice Hmmmm