RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
MrBigStuff

Starter G Phillips

1 hour ago, ardeea said:

Looking at the video it would appear the race start had been effected so race was underway - touch and

go - but no different if the field jumps from starting gates and interference takes place.  I could be wrong

but this is how I see it. Certainly the horse seems a bit crazy.

If the race start was under way then why did they late scratch a runner. If they deemed the horse that was late scratched was interfered with prior to the start then why did they not late scratch the other horse.  Was a bit comical really that they let the race start with that runner with all its weight on the back feet who they struggled to get to move forward in a straight line whenever it stopped.  Surprising they did not use a different approach, i think they are better than that. just not today.  Should have been a false start.

What a joke. Either the starter needs to be removed or NZTR needs to get its shit together and create a better starting format for jumps races where the start is not from a barrier. In the UK they use an elastic across the track to let them go. I saw the start to the race at Trentham and all it did was hammer another nail into coffin for jumps races, and demonstrate the inept management to allow such an informal start to occur in the first place.

Amateurs

44 minutes ago, Berri said:

I saw the start to the race at Trentham and all it did was hammer another nail into coffin for jumps races, and demonstrate the inept management to allow such an informal start to occur in the first place.

Amateurs

Personally I think jumps racing has been bloody good so far this season, some very good horses going around and interesting close racing at a lot of venues. After a disaster of a year last year they have made some positive changes & we need to allow for some teething issues. The use of no barriers is what many were suggesting was needed & I have yet to see a jumps race determined by barrier draw or where horses are at the first jump. this is really the first f--k up at the start and it was with a horse being a complete prick with his manners.

Must admit I have a real issue with all jumping races (I believe) being open starts these days. What happens when a horse doesn't get a fair start (which is less likely with barriers) then get's beaten a nose. Maybe, and just maybe, you don't care so much if it's a maiden steeplechase but imagine if its a prestige jumping race. I see they even started the Waikato Steeples without barriers the other day. Surely owners, trainers and jockey's in jumps races deserve just a fair go as flat horses, not being let go like Brown's cows. 

6 minutes ago, Hawke's Bay Lad said:

Must admit I have a real issue with all jumping races (I believe) being open starts these days. What happens when a horse doesn't get a fair start (which is less likely with barriers) then get's beaten a nose. Maybe, and just maybe, you don't care so much if it's a maiden steeplechase but imagine if its a prestige jumping race. I see they even started the Waikato Steeples without barriers the other day. Surely owners, trainers and jockey's in jumps races deserve just a fair go as flat horses, not being let go like Brown's cows. 

Hahaha, have you ever watched a Steeple?. The barrier draw has absolutely zero bearing on the outcome of a race.

Today's race should have been a false start, not sure why it wasn't, plenty of opportunity to have done so.

10 hours ago, MrBigStuff said:

Another reason why he needs to go - start of Race 3 @ Trentham.

joke.

why an earth was it not a false start

Do you spend all day sitting on your keyboard waiting for a so called mistake to be made.

If the field had jumped from the barrier and crashed into each other would a false start have been called I doubt it. The horse in question had no manners. Given the directive for flag starts hoiw was a false start to be called today having watched the video who was going to let the field know and why would it be a false start they all started from where they should have.

Why not sign your name you clearly have a personal vendetta have the courage to stop hiding behind a non deplume

The only issue with what you are stating Hector was the fact that Highly Likely was slightly ahead of the field and when he went off & he took another out of the race before it had even got into a single stride.

In no way was Ken Duncan's horse given a fair opportunity, so the correct outcome was a false start. 

1 hour ago, barryb said:

Hahaha, have you ever watched a Steeple?. The barrier draw has absolutely zero bearing on the outcome of a race.

Today's race should have been a false start, not sure why it wasn't, plenty of opportunity to have done so.

Actually I have. Probably had about 1000 rides over jumps back in the day too, and won my fair share.

I would agree the barrier draw in a steeplechase has little bearing. I would say being left by 10 lengths at the start because your horse won't line up does. And speaking from experience what also does is if you can hang back a bit then rush up to the open start with a bit of momentum. Obviously that can't happen with barriers.

I'm not arguing it shouldn't have been a false start. As eluded to above what I'm saying in the best interest of fairness and equity barriers should be used. Maybe that should have been the subject of another thread and if it has been before I apologise. I don't read this site every day. I also don't know what due diligence has gone into the decision for open starts. Also accept whatever has may be conclusive (to some) but I'm still entitled to my opinion nonetheless.

4 hours ago, barryb said:

To be fair, the horse was being a complete bastard at the start and they had him about 10 mtrs away from the rest. unclipped and then went back and sideways.

To be fair to the horse,i think he simply out thought the starters. Ive always thought if a horse keeps going backwards when you lead him, then someone should get behind it.The horse was doing the same thing for quite some time.  Actually looking at the video it looks like the decision to not have someone follow the horse around was the starters. He is heard to say 'all good',i assume to the fella who had started to follow the horse from behind, as after he said that the assistant  wanders off.. It was rather funny unless you had some money on it or it was yours.

2 hours ago, hector said:

Do you spend all day sitting on your keyboard waiting for a so called mistake to be made.

If the field had jumped from the barrier and crashed into each other would a false start have been called I doubt it. The horse in question had no manners. Given the directive for flag starts hoiw was a false start to be called today having watched the video who was going to let the field know and why would it be a false start they all started from where they should have.

Why not sign your name you clearly have a personal vendetta have the courage to stop hiding behind a non deplume

Look, I just care about the perception of how things look and that was shocking today.

Phillips is clearly passed it. Time to give it away. Enough said 

3 hours ago, hector said:

In barrier starts isn't a clerk of the course meant to be waiting down the track in case of a false start, why wasn't this the case here? Why should a flag start be any different!  Jumpers don't exactly fly the start, surely they could have been pulled up. Yes the horse was being an arse, common sense would have said to start him fractionally behind the others so he couldn't interfere. He was 2nd favourite, so punters money down the drain, and what should have been a cracking race, ruined. 

3 hours ago, MrBigStuff said:

Look, I just care about the perception of how things look and that was shocking today.

Phillips is clearly passed it. Time to give it away. Enough said 

In your opinion which seems to be the minority... we all get it you don't like him enough said... the guy has a tough job one of the decent hardworking guys in the industry....I for one would not like his job...cut him a little slack.

HIGHLY LIKELY (S Fannin) Was fractious prior to the open start and when the start was effected, backed into LONELY BOY (C Price) resulting in both riders being dislodged. Following the running of Race 3 a request for a ruling was lodged by the Stewards with the JCA to determine whether HIGHLY LIKELY and LONELY BOY each respectively received a fair start. After hearing from riders, the starter and the starter’s assistant the JCA determined that HIGHLY LIKELY be declared a runner and that LONELY BOY was denied a fair start due to the actions of HIGHLY LIKELY. Connections of HIGHLY LIKELY were advised that a warning is placed against the gelding with regard to its manners when in open starts. HIGHLY LIKELY incurred abrasions in the incident and was found to be lame in the right hind. A veterinary clearance is required prior to racing. 

7 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

In your opinion which seems to be the minority... we all get it you don't like him enough said... the guy has a tough job one of the decent hardworking guys in the industry....I for one would not like his job...cut him a little slack.

.hear hear!

If we are going to demand G Phillips' head for that then why not revoke the Trainers licence of K Myers? It was his horse

51 minutes ago, puha said:

HIGHLY LIKELY (S Fannin) Was fractious prior to the open start and when the start was effected, backed into LONELY BOY (C Price) resulting in both riders being dislodged. Following the running of Race 3 a request for a ruling was lodged by the Stewards with the JCA to determine whether HIGHLY LIKELY and LONELY BOY each respectively received a fair start. After hearing from riders, the starter and the starter’s assistant the JCA determined that HIGHLY LIKELY be declared a runner and that LONELY BOY was denied a fair start due to the actions of HIGHLY LIKELY. Connections of HIGHLY LIKELY were advised that a warning is placed against the gelding with regard to its manners when in open starts. HIGHLY LIKELY incurred abrasions in the incident and was found to be lame in the right hind. A veterinary clearance is required prior to racing. 

So that attributes no blame to anyone except the horse. Really anyone watching could see that the horses actions were because it new it was in control.  Just an example of a stipes report giving half the story. Don't watch many gallops these days,so maybe that is the norm in that code.   

Stop trivializing matters FFS, the GAP is doing a fine job in difficult circumstances, and meantime there are far more important matters to worry about, such as the speculation Pippa fucking Middleton is pregnant, some filthy bastard, maybe even her chinless husband James, has slipped one past the goalie before they tied the knot, the dirty bastard.

6 minutes ago, Midget said:

Stop trivializing matters FFS, the GAP is doing a fine job in difficult circumstances, and meantime there are far more important matters to worry about, such as the speculation Pippa fucking Middleton is pregnant, some filthy bastard, maybe even her chinless husband James, has slipped one past the goalie before they tied the knot, the dirty bastard.

You probably meant " the LUCKY bastard".

I didn't see it but in harness racing if a horse refuses to score up behind the mobile, or tangles then retains its gait but is still several lengths behind, it simply gets left behind.

Can't hold everything up for one recalcitrant nag.

40 minutes ago, Blue said:

I didn't see it but in harness racing if a horse refuses to score up behind the mobile, or tangles then retains its gait but is still several lengths behind, it simply gets left behind.

Can't hold everything up for one recalcitrant nag.

We talking about the horses or Pippa Middleton here Blue?:lol:

5 hours ago, what a post said:

So that attributes no blame to anyone except the horse. Really anyone watching could see that the horses actions were because it new it was in control.  Just an example of a stipes report giving half the story. Don't watch many gallops these days,so maybe that is the norm in that code.   

rubbish  dont you know the difference between Knew and new

/

if you dont watch many gallops stay off this site

5 hours ago, what a post said:

Assuming you watch harness instead. How many times do you see those horses fly into a gallop at the start losing all chance and punters money done cold?