RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
MrBigStuff

Starter G Phillips

Another G Phillips special today at Otaki...turn the bloody power on! How many chances does this guy get? 

What a joke as well, none were taken out and vetted since they all pretty much charged the gates. Can see clearly the power was not on the first time as the second attempt the red light is flashing 

Following the race starter Mr G Phillips was questioned after several runners were observed to anticipate the start. In explanation Mr Phillips advised that he was momentarily late in coordinating his call with the power. Mr Phillips was advised that he is expected to exercise better judgement in future. 

Nicer guy you wouldn't meet, but he's become a bit of an embarrassment wandering around shouting out orders and then carrying and trying to position his ladder, usually in a different place each race.

Little wonder he momentarily loses co-ordination.

Might be time to hang up the button Garry !!!

2 hours ago, noonu said:

Nicer guy you wouldn't meet, but he's become a bit of an embarrassment wandering around shouting out orders and then carrying and trying to position his ladder, usually in a different place each race.

Little wonder he momentarily loses co-ordination.

Might be time to hang up the button Garry !!!

Isnt it his job to be telling the boys what they need to do because remember starters (not just Garry) are constantly approached by trainers during the day telling them this and that and what they want to happen with their horses at the start. And because he cant be standing right beside each of the boys giving instructions he has to shout the instructions and being "miked up" it ends up sounding louder than it really is. Would you prefer that he just says nothing so none of the boys have any idea what has to happen next and it becomes a total shambles,?

As is often brought up in sports, its okay to get rid of a person but then who is better out there to replace him.?

SITUATION VACANT

- thankless position

- you're on a hiding to nothing

- Only time you get mentioned is when people want to criticise you

Give me some potentional names to replace him or perhaps a Cafer wants to have a go... MrBigStuff is in "Open Class" so obviously has had lots of involvement in racing so would be the ideal candidate I reckon.

Good on you for sticking up for him , doesn't change the fact , he's had his time , there's always an assistant starter at each track so maybe it's time for his one to step up.

too many mistakes I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, noonu said:

Good on you for sticking up for him , doesn't change the fact , he's had his time , there's always an assistant starter at each track so maybe it's time for his one to step up.

too many mistakes I'm afraid.

Well Ok can you give us a comprehensive list of the 'mistakes' G Phillips has made?  This obviously is one but I have never heard of him making too many.

If Gary Phillips is the biggest problem facing NZ Racing then there is f-all to worry about 

It's not about him being the biggest problem in NZ racing, but it is about doing an important job competently and he makes frequent errors that cause problems be they minor or major that are avoidable, I can recall at least 3 times over the past year or two that he's said go and he's forgot the power. Pretty basic I would have thought.

Anyway as I said he's not on his own in not recognising when it's time to put your ladder in the shed.

Horse and jockey , trainer, owner and punter will get the shits totally if his ineptness shows again and believe me it will.

Enough said by me, surely it's clear .

2 hours ago, noonu said:

It's not about him being the biggest problem in NZ racing, but it is about doing an important job competently and he makes frequent errors that cause problems be they minor or major that are avoidable, I can recall at least 3 times over the past year or two that he's said go and he's forgot the power. Pretty basic I would have thought.

Anyway as I said he's not on his own in not recognising when it's time to put your ladder in the shed.

Horse and jockey , trainer, owner and punter will get the shits totally if his ineptness shows again and believe me it will.

" I can recall at least 3 times over the past year or two that he's said go and he's forgot the power"

Sounds like you know exactly how these new starting gates work, Can you tell me and others how they work because I certaintly dont.

Was the power thing something relating to those old gates, forget the name of them.

For Gary or his replacement and any other starters around the country, I think they should do away with their pre-jump call (Gary's being "watch the gate") and say absolutely nothing and just push the button at random when they feel like it. That way it doesnt matter if theres power or no power.. if there wasnt power the first time it doesnt matter because the jockeys woudnt have known anyway, so the starter just keeps on pushing the button until the gates open. That would certainly stop the jockeys from charging the gate in anticipation but if they did try it and got away in front then good luck to them..but if they got it wrong and were going back as the others jumped forward then the owners, trainers and punters can roast the jockey (assuming it doesnt come in) on their return to scale.

I reckon that sounds like a good idea....it would certaintly fix those 3 times over the past year or two that he's said go and he's forgot the power.

ponder , can see you have never ridden,there are many reason gary says watch the gates , gives the attendant  holding a horses head time to be ready to release the horse, time for a jock if the horse is unsettled to yell out,and the most important is that jocks don't have the horses ready to jump when they go into the stalls , you try to get them to relax.

On 19/05/2017 at 3:42 PM, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Well Ok can you give us a comprehensive list of the 'mistakes' G Phillips has made?  This obviously is one but I have never heard of him making too many.

If Gary Phillips is the biggest problem facing NZ Racing then there is f-all to worry about 

agree  how many races as a starter has he started including the thieves on wheels ?

9 hours ago, rumpole said:

agree  how many races as a starter has he started including the thieves on wheels ?

I would say 1200 a year for the last fifteen(?) years

This is the first time I have ever heard him criticized,

However ,,,,

The manual starting gates at Blenheim a couple of years ago he pulled the string that hard he overbalanced and toppled off his ladder.  Rather amusing though Mr Big Stuff will probably want Blenheim shut down because of it.  He doesn't need much of an excuse to demand course closures

13 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

I would say 1200 a year for the last fifteen(?) years

This is the first time I have ever heard him criticized,

However ,,,,

The manual starting gates at Blenheim a couple of years ago he pulled the string that hard he overbalanced and toppled off his ladder.  Rather amusing though Mr Big Stuff will probably want Blenheim shut down because of it.  He doesn't need much of an excuse to demand course closures

According to NZR website, he finished riding in 1990/91 so thats 26 years ago, but not sure how long after that he commenced starting. But the site also says he rodes 713 winners but I thought he was in the 1,000 club so NZR site may or may not be accurate.

18 minutes ago, Ponderosa8 said:

According to NZR website, he finished riding in 1990/91 so thats 26 years ago, but not sure how long after that he commenced starting. But the site also says he rodes 713 winners but I thought he was in the 1,000 club so NZR site may or may not be accurate.

Garry rode 1176 winners.  

On 20/05/2017 at 4:33 AM, noonu said:

Since you are able to sit on your keyboard and assainate a mans character and credibility why don't you have the courage to at least use your name. If this is the only thing you can see wrong in new Zealand racing then it is really in trouble I suggest to you a trip to the start stand behind the gates andcsee what goes on or are you so qualified you have no need. There are some qualities a pretender to the job needs like maturity, honesty, integrity.

I have not in any way "assassinated" anyone's character Hector but good to see you make your first post by having a crack at me, I hope that makes you feel good.

if you go back in the thread a bit, you will see I said a nicer bloke you will never meet , sometimes it's just time to face reality, but heh that's only my opinion and if yours is different to mine then that's fine too, probably you don't need to accuse me of things I haven't done though.

On 5/18/2017 at 8:52 PM, MrBigStuff said:

Another G Phillips special today at Otaki...turn the bloody power on! How many chances does this guy get? 

What a joke as well, none were taken out and vetted since they all pretty much charged the gates. Can see clearly the power was not on the first time as the second attempt the red light is flashing 

Following the race starter Mr G Phillips was questioned after several runners were observed to anticipate the start. In explanation Mr Phillips advised that he was momentarily late in coordinating his call with the power. Mr Phillips was advised that he is expected to exercise better judgement in future. 

Another reason why he needs to go - start of Race 3 @ Trentham.

joke.

why an earth was it not a false start

Looking at the video it would appear the race start had been effected so race was underway - touch and

go - but no different if the field jumps from starting gates and interference takes place.  I could be wrong

but this is how I see it. Certainly the horse seems a bit crazy.