RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Escameno aka Cameron

NO MORE BEST BETS ????

17 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

The BB and TD used to be quite different, but I think they merged years ago. There was a sister publication to the TD that was identical in virtually every respect except for different tips, can't remember what it was called; Racetrack, or something like that, perhaps.

SPORTSWEEK

Sad to hear, I buy the only Best Bet that goes to my local garage in fact if I am late they always put it a side for me. I will never get use to not having something so simple to read and I like to write down a few notes and dividends.

The Informant I found very hard to read as writing was small and everything was all jammed up not layed out in a nice easy to read format, but will revisit to see if I can adapt. 

I can print out the fields at home on A4 pages but I end up with lots of pages and not something I want to cart around when I go out. The computer I love as we are spoilt for information but I don't like using the computer for my study. I find I look at one area of a field on screen and then go further down the screen to see the rest of the field and bugger me if I haven't forgotten what is further up the page I lose what the hell is further up the page and I just give up.

I wonder why The TAB never advertises outside of Trackside. All they seem to do is advertise to their own customers, bit weird if you ask me. Lotto advertises to everyone, I go online and read a online paper or go to other sites and get lotto popping up with adverts about winning so many million, drive down the motorway and they have a electronic billboard telling you how much 1st division is this week... WHAT DOES THE TAB DO....close down free to view, close down tracks, close or reduce the paper content and then get rid of the Best Bets. I get a feeling some powers that be really don't give a shit about racing an thats the reason it is where it is.

10 hours ago, zelda kratchanova 2 said:

Boris says the newspaper mama , form in nz is woefull n0.?

doxa need to get their quick.

anyway he said tell all the idoits on race cafe steggles is the best chicken ever get some today the price is right , bitch !!:blink:

parsons nose :P

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:02 PM, Flagship uberalles said:

My birth year! Do you know when best bets first came out? Always prefered best bets to turf digest...but also liked Friday flash

brought my first one for mother when I was about 7.. could be earlier. so that would be about 1962,and I think she had been buying them for a while before that.

same as the Friday flash. excellent read for those days.. when racing journalists knew their stuff about racing/trotting .

14 hours ago, bestbets said:

I wonder why The TAB never advertises outside of Trackside. All they seem to do is advertise to their own customers, bit weird if you ask me. Lotto advertises to everyone, I go online and read a online paper or go to other sites and get lotto popping up with adverts about winning so many million, drive down the motorway and they have a electronic billboard telling you how much 1st division is this week... WHAT DOES THE TAB DO....close down free to view, close down tracks, close or reduce the paper content and then get rid of the Best Bets. I get a feeling some powers that be really don't give a shit about racing an thats the reason it is where it is.

It would be a wasted exercise targeting anyone else on mainstream media, unless you are referring to sports betting. It costs huge $ for nothing much back, the best way to gain customers is to use a referral system with existing customers getting a reward for new sign ups or offering deposit incentives. There are many inactive accounts out there that they could try harder to revive.

There are countless low cost ways  that could be used to enhance the experience of customers who are happy with the product. enhance the social media side of things for a start. 

I've been buying my book regularly for over 50 years.i was introduced to it and NZ racing in the early sixties working on cargo ships where we could be around the ports for 4 to 5 weeks each trip.Loved it when our port a race day there timed.

5 hours ago, barryb said:

It would be a wasted exercise targeting anyone else on mainstream media, unless you are referring to sports betting. It costs huge $ for nothing much back, the best way to gain customers is to use a referral system with existing customers getting a reward for new sign ups or offering deposit incentives. There are many inactive accounts out there that they could try harder to revive.

There are countless low cost ways  that could be used to enhance the experience of customers who are happy with the product. enhance the social media side of things for a start. 

Well they do need to do something to attract newbies . With no freeview, and a huge reduction in print media etc etc,  racing is becoming more and more a secret society only known to current participants.   

Ted there are 10s of thousands of dormant accounts with the NZ TAB, why piss around trying to get Newbies. Firstly how about trying to get those clients to deposit something.

How about for a dormant account if you deposit any amount up to $500 they match it, by dormant I mean any account that has had no activity for 6 months. The money invested there would be a hell of a lot better than wasting it on marketing to a not interested audience on mainstream TV.

5 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

Well they do need to do something to attract newbies . With no freeview, and a huge reduction in print media etc etc,  racing is becoming more and more a secret society only known to current participants.   

Agree entirely Ted - I think their biggest mistake was canning Free to View - that was extremely damaging IMHO - I know many who have walked purely on principle - a very dumb decision

3 minutes ago, turny said:

Agree entirely Ted - I think their biggest mistake was canning Free to View - that was extremely damaging IMHO - I know many who have walked purely on principle - a very dumb decision

I believe the powers that be have missed out on a golden opportunity to promote racing.....The Triple Crown in the US.

IMO a huge percentage of people in NZ have heard of the KENTUCKY DERBY and this event should have been used to leverage interest in racing.

I don't have Sky so when FTV ceased my viewing ceased.    Of course I am mainly on course so don't really need Trackside and on the rare instances I like to view  - i.e. Jewels - well a walk up the road to the pub suffices.     As you will realise by me posting here I do have on line access to fields etc. but of course I only "look up" what I want to so without freeview my consumption has shrunken considerably.     And "mercifully" so has my betting :D

1 hour ago, barryb said:

Ted there are 10s of thousands of dormant accounts with the NZ TAB, why piss around trying to get Newbies. Firstly how about trying to get those clients to deposit something.

How about for a dormant account if you deposit any amount up to $500 they match it, by dormant I mean any account that has had no activity for 6 months. The money invested there would be a hell of a lot better than wasting it on marketing to a not interested audience on mainstream TV.

Most of them are probably gone for good Barry for one reason or another. Even if you got a third back somehow, the existing pool from five years ago has diminished for a number of reasons and without bringing in new blood that pool will continue to gradually decline.

By attracting new blood and they become keen to participate they in turn will also attract new blood. Sure, create incentives for existing customers by way of loyalty initiatives to retain them also, but surely the aim should be for increased participation overall.

2 hours ago, barryb said:

And it will only be a short investment   as 98% of punters lose long term.

4 hours ago, eljay said:

I don't have Sky so when FTV ceased my viewing ceased.    Of course I am mainly on course so don't really need Trackside and on the rare instances I like to view  - i.e. Jewels - well a walk up the road to the pub suffices.     As you will realise by me posting here I do have on line access to fields etc. but of course I only "look up" what I want to so without freeview my consumption has shrunken considerably.     And "mercifully" so has my betting :D

You do realise you can watch the racing online don't you Eljay?

16 hours ago, eljay said:

Yeah, I,m in the same boat... she,s a curly one, with Sky having the monopoly,

watch and view on the computer suffices only so far...Bring back Glynn Tucker etc and Sport on One...

Their viewing must now be minuscule now in comparison...I couldn,t tell you who plays rugby now!

Bring back free-view...happened to flick through the channels yesterday arvo looking for Rugby review show

for a catch up on Ladder standings...well done Prime at  4ish ...good grass roots then super rugby wash-up from the weekend.

Suppose I will have to take the 18yo lad to the Pub to watch Lions...He will say "Fuck Off"..."I,m on the piss with the boys" !

use to be a book out.. some years ago, think Best Bets sued their arse and they shut down.

winning post   or something like that.. they were okay as well but BB thought they were to much like them and took them to court.

anyone remember them and all the fuss?

On 5/21/2017 at 7:58 PM, We're Doomed said:

Watching online is better than nothing but surely in this modern era with fast internet available in most areas they would be able to stream a decent quality video. The crap resolution we get now is horrendous especially if you cast it to a big TV. Come on TAB lift your game! 

On 5/21/2017 at 7:58 PM, We're Doomed said:

Of course I do but why should I?    At the moment my occasional dabbling is done either on course or through the TAB or similar outlet so why bother to get access through the computer.     It's still free and without conditions on my radio so that suffices and of course can always watch the replays on line if I really want to.     If they want my money then it's up to them to provide the service to get it rather than me fulfill conditions imposed by them.    I think it's called "responsible gambling" isn't it? :P

Speaking of said topic...just wondering if anyone has been able to purchase it?.Went to my local supermarket in blenheim who I know do stock it,and there wasn't any to be seen.

24 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Speaking of said topic...just wondering if anyone has been able to purchase it?.Went to my local supermarket in blenheim who I know do stock it,and there wasn't any to be seen.

Got mine at New World in Morrinsville ok today Mardy. Only one left after I purchased my copy. The TAB also stock it as does the Mobil and Z service stations in Morrinsville.  

33 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

Got mine at New World in Morrinsville ok today Mardy. Only one left after I purchased my copy. The TAB also stock it as does the Mobil and Z service stations in Morrinsville.  

Ok thanks Ted.I seem to remember hearing something while i was at work this morning,in regards to fog delaying flights?...i wonder if that had anything to do with it being a no show here..Hopefully someone from the South Island,or near to Blenheim can confirm whether they got one or not.