RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
barryb

Ruakaka

2 hours ago, army said:

40 mls is a lot differnt to 240ml of rain. Didnt they have a meeting called off not because of rain but because of wind and sand blowing over a certain part of the track

Yeah but most tracks get 40mls the night before and the track comes up a heavy 10 not a dead 6

Yes they did have a meeting called off because of sand, but that was at the time of construction up there and caused a bit of an unsettling time. i.e. sand blowing around etc.

11 hours ago, Berlog said:

Because some times horses that are racing during winter don't want a bog, and they aren't good enough to race during summer, hence why Ruakaka suits! 40mls of rain the night before a meeting at Avondale and they'll be swimming in it, 40mls the night before Ruakaka and it comes up a dead 6. Its not like there is a shortage of wet tracks for these winter horses to get their foot into like you say, but not all horses racing through winter want a bog. 

Your forgetting that when we race at Matamata the majority of the field is Matamata trained and they are hard to beat, its the same concept at ruakaka, its just more concentrated on one stable as opposed to Matamata's many. If trainers thought it was that hard to win races at Ruakaka why did they still get capacity fields? Obviously some people want to race their.

90% thats a it of a stretch, I'll agree they win a lot of races there but so does Pitman at Riccarton etc. And when you say 'they have 4 and 5 horses in a 10 horse field' its usually more like 2 or 3.

Haven't seen any horse swimming at Avondale for a long time even after heavy rain. But it doesn't really matter, by the same token other horses might prefer a heavy track in winter even if it is a 9 or 10.   Not every winter track needs to be a bog, they are after all winter gallopers. . I went to a few Waikato meetings last year and while they were genuinely heavy tracks they weren't bogs.  Our own horse ran 2nd on one and he is no genuine heavy tracker.   It could be why they get the fields up there, and I'm sure it did taper off last year, is that with Auckland shutting down  for 6 -8 weeks it deprives northern  horses of Saturday races if they don't go up there. It's travel up there or don't get a race while tracks like Avondale are underutalised. . What I would be interested in is to hear the views of an astute bloke like Chris Wood on what he thinks from Waikato trainers point of view. . I am fully prepared to be wrong,  but impression I've had is in a lot of cases they  almost go up there by necessity . it isn't as if they clap their hands and say great another Ruakaka meeting this weekend !

1 hour ago, Mr Spyro said:

Haven't seen any horse swimming at Avondale for a long time even after heavy rain. But it doesn't really matter, by the same token other horses might prefer a heavy track in winter even if it is a 9 or 10.   Not every winter track needs to be a bog, they are after all winter gallopers. . I went to a few Waikato meetings last year and while they were genuinely heavy tracks they weren't bogs.  Our own horse ran 2nd on one and he is no genuine heavy tracker.   It could be why they get the fields up there, and I'm sure it did taper off last year, is that with Auckland shutting down  for 6 -8 weeks it deprives northern  horses of Saturday races if they don't go up there. It's travel up there or don't get a race while tracks like Avondale are underutalised. . What I would be interested in is to hear the views of an astute bloke like Chris Wood on what he thinks from Waikato trainers point of view. . I am fully prepared to be wrong,  but impression I've had is in a lot of cases they  almost go up there by necessity . it isn't as if they clap their hands and say great another Ruakaka meeting this weekend !

8th March, Avondale had 26ml of rain over night and raced on a Heavy 10, the reason they haven't been racing on a bog at Avondale is largely due to the fact that its been summer, they had 5 meetings in June, July and August las year with 4 of those being on a heavy 10. I personally see Ruakaka as a great place for horses that aren't good enough to be racing during summer but don't necessarily want a wet track either.

By northern horses I'm assuming you mean from pukekohe etc. and they do have options if they don't go north, even with Auckland shutting down, those horses can get to Waikato to race, so them being deprived of saturday races isn't entirely accurate.

2 hours ago, Mr Spyro said:

I agree with you that Avondale is now probably the most under utilised course, and their track is finally been remedied were it is now a good standard.  Now they need to rip down that old grandstand, renovate the main stand and give the place a splash of paint, presentable, improve the overall facilities and you have a premier track

I haven't been to Avondale for a long time but I do know quite a lot of money was spent on one of the stands at the time of night racing. I know that was a long time ago now, but it is more recently than many courses sent money on their facilities. So surely there is the basis for some decent facilities at Avondale.

1 hour ago, Berlog said:

8th March, Avondale had 26ml of rain over night and raced on a Heavy 10, the reason they haven't been racing on a bog at Avondale is largely due to the fact that its been summer, they had 5 meetings in June, July and August las year with 4 of those being on a heavy 10. I personally see Ruakaka as a great place for horses that aren't good enough to be racing during summer but don't necessarily want a wet track either.

By northern horses I'm assuming you mean from pukekohe etc. and they do have options if they don't go north, even with Auckland shutting down, those horses can get to Waikato to race, so them being deprived of saturday races isn't entirely accurate.

What I was meaning to say was a heavy 10 doesn't have to equate to a bog.   With all the Auckland meetings rezoned to Ruakaka  it does mean there is no other meetings anywhere in the Waikato  on those days, so those horses would have no choice but not to race those days or head up there.  There should be equal chances for horses liking both types of footing, but after all it is Winter. Auckland is the biggest centre of population and really there should be enough Saturday meetings around the area to have racing somewhere at a central point.   I don't know in total how many meetings Auckland have sent up there but for every one of those meetings it means travel and $ 700 is a hell of an amount to pay for floating, you would have to admit. The main problem is its distance from main training centres.

1 hour ago, Mr Spyro said:

What I was meaning to say was a heavy 10 doesn't have to equate to a bog.   With all the Auckland meetings rezoned to Ruakaka  it does mean there is no other meetings anywhere in the Waikato  on those days, so those horses would have no choice but not to race those days or head up there.  There should be equal chances for horses liking both types of footing, but after all it is Winter. Auckland is the biggest centre of population and really there should be enough Saturday meetings around the area to have racing somewhere at a central point.   I don't know in total how many meetings Auckland have sent up there but for every one of those meetings it means travel and $ 700 is a hell of an amount to pay for floating, you would have to admit. The main problem is its distance from main training centres.

I guess, but to be fair, a heavy 10 is as close to a bog as you can really get.

I also fully agree that the transport is crazy, but I think thats a case of transporters charging some pretty premium prices, aside from that i still see Ruakaka as a good surface for winter racing, and we see this in August when a lot of trainers end their big guns up there to kick off as they are seeking the better going. Avondale probably does deserve another meeting or two to be fair.

On 5/19/2017 at 1:15 PM, Berlog said:

I guess, but to be fair, a heavy 10 is as close to a bog as you can really get.

I also fully agree that the transport is crazy, but I think thats a case of transporters charging some pretty premium prices, aside from that i still see Ruakaka as a good surface for winter racing, and we see this in August when a lot of trainers end their big guns up there to kick off as they are seeking the better going. Avondale probably does deserve another meeting or two to be fair.

Dear Berlog

When did you last go to Avondale?

I am sure I had a posting on this thread about Auckland traffic, cost of transport and the Logan team racing each other for a chocolate fish. Nothing offensive to invite censorial removal IMO. So what gives?

16 hours ago, MrBigStuff said:

Avondale is a shithole. Full stop

Let's be reasonable, the track is bloody good and  that is backed up by trainers. The facilities are crap but I look at it like this, they are consigned to midweek racing if they stuck up a ****** Taj Mahal type stand there and gave away free grog  , they wouldn't get hardly any more than they already do.   Just look at ARC Headquarters,  all the facilities Avondale doesn't have and how many people can they get there on even  a Saturday for God's sake ? .    Big days aside, as a mate of mine said they could resurrect 

Charles Whitman. let him open fire and the prick  would be firing away merrily into empty space. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Spyro said:

Let's be reasonable, the track is bloody good and  that is backed up by trainers. The facilities are crap in need of a major spruce up  but anyone can use other stands and they are passable.  I look at it like this, they are consigned to midweek racing when most punters choose to stay home and watch Trackiside if they stuck up a ****** Taj Mahal type stand there and gave away free grog  , they wouldn't get hardly any more than they already do.  So it comes back to track surfrace being all important   Just look at ARC,  all the facilities  and stands Avondale doesn't have and how many people can they get there  even on   a Saturday for God's sake ? .    Big days aside, as a mate of mine said they could resurrect 

Charles Whitman. let him open fire and the prick  would be firing away merrily into empty space. with not a soul in sight.  

I never bet at Ruakaka because I don't like that style of racing, but I don't feel it is always the track's fault. I watched the second race and the rider of the second horse, Bee Tee Junior, never made any effort to put the horse into the race. The horse was travelling perfectly ok, but he stayed at the back and never made any attempt to follow the horses in front of them when they made their move. He should have been dragged into the race perfectly and should have won the race. If CWJ rode like that he would get about three weeks.

2 hours ago, barryb said:

Painful to sit through that rubbish, cronic front running bias that is the worst seen.

I generally have a decent record punting at Ruakaka so dont bag it but  I would probably agree with you today, apart from Prom Queen.

Small fields and a rail bias dont help but some of the riding tactics were "interesting", plus the dead5 reading was bullshit with the open sprinters running close top 1.13 

21 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

I never bet at Ruakaka because I don't like that style of racing, but I don't feel it is always the track's fault. I watched the second race and the rider of the second horse, Bee Tee Junior, never made any effort to put the horse into the race. The horse was travelling perfectly ok, but he stayed at the back and never made any attempt to follow the horses in front of them when they made their move. He should have been dragged into the race perfectly and should have won the race. If CWJ rode like that he would get about three weeks.

Female apprentice McCall....did the same thing on Snow Secret. Just lack of experience.

19 hours ago, barryb said:

-_-

Rubbish again today, I just don't get why a trainer would take a back marker up to that venue, total waste of time.

the races there leave me cold too

I did vaguely enjoy trying to work out on pace runners etc - but didn't really fancy the punt.

Laying Angeline probably the highlight.....

13 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Female apprentice McCall....did the same thing on Snow Secret. Just lack of experience.

Looking how the track was playing the ride on snow secret was perfect (tactically) for a back runner , the better ground seemed to be nearer the running rail ....Which leads me to penetrometer readings, these are taken at various points around the track and widths off the running rail and the data condensed into one figure (assuming)would be interesting to see the complete prod sheet data :huh: