RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
mr_gee

Bernard Saundry appointed to key role at NZTR

Guest 2Admin2
3 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

So why would you employ another old pale stale male to ( hopefully ) turn NZ Racing around ?

Theres zero logic to the appointment, the future belongs to young people, that’s why ad agencies and commercial media is full of bright young things.

As for hospo, zero chance they’ll ever get it right, only unique individuals like me can do that job and I’d never help ( most ) clubs.

Really?

Guest 2Admin2
1 minute ago, poundforpound said:

Facile argument, both races are sweepstakes, they’re paid for by those who enter their yearlings, for the benefit of their own horses.

Why doesn't NZB put part of their profit up and allow any of the 1200 plus horses to enter without paying?  Interesting stats when you look at where the majority of Grp1's come from and what was paid for them.

I'm all for ideas and innovation, sometimes however certain jobs will attract certain applicants.  As far as the hosts side goes, it needs sorting big time, too many courses offer stale buns, overpriced drinks, very average bands.  Wouldn't it be fantastic if we had a flagship venue that could get a celebrity chef in to put on a top menu and courses in between races with a nice band?  Can't do it? They do overseas.  Moonee Valley Night races are great fun and heaps of young 20 some things go for a great night out.  Here in New Zealand if you get a stale sandwich and an overpriced beer served through lines that havent been  cleaned since Tulloch last went round we are expected to be grateful and pay top dollar for the privelage.  

Edited by Tomjr
Typo

There is no reason that that argument is facile, Harness Jewells manage it.  Part of our problem is in most places dinosaurs are considered extinct.  For some reason in Thoroughbred racing we still have them  stomping around and roaring through there false teeth  always coming up with reasons why we can't change, why things won't work and doing there best to discourage any young nuns getting involved in racing administration (I mean what do those youngsters know?).

11 minutes ago, hesi said:

He's not really sending out the right vibes.

Sent a 'heavy' letter to this site's owner about online criticism of the handicapper

Withdrawn weekly meeting and turnover data from NZTR's online news bulletins

Even so he has a reasonably good reputation over the ditch and hell if we can't get the right people from within New Zealand then there's nothing wrong with looking offshore.  The thing with online forums is in general that a lot of folks will make a statement with little or no basis in fact, no corroboration and often no filter.  As a result of this we end up with everyone taking offense at most everything and plenty of keyboard warriors that all have the answe but won't roll there sleeves up and make it happen.

11 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Don’t you know what a sweepstake is ?

I sure do, but who said it has to be a sweepstake.  I have horses enrolled in bonus schemes and have been around a while so I am fully aware how these works.  I also know that we have to embrace positive change, embrace and celebrate our history by all means, but fail to evolve and we are gone.

3 hours ago, Tomjr said:

You know guys I hope you give him a fair go.  Things have been dire for a long time and we all need to look at ourselves.  Us racing folk are sentimental, we wax lyrical about champion horses, trainers and jockeys.  We all remember the good old days, but I'm going to throw a big old cat amongst the pigeons here, society has changed and we have all been so set in our ways we haven't changed with it.  I love the track I was bought up on dearly and it holds a great deal of fond memories however we have too small a market to maintain that number of tracks.  Yes there is a place for summer picnic meetings and the like, however we need to invest more in the club's closer to the urban populations if we want to survive.  The f acillities at the likes of Te Rapa are dire, the track is magnificent but oft repeated is the comment about how tired and dingy it is.  We need to have a look at some of the things the Harness boys have done right and embrace innovation.  If its Friday night races under lights with great venues and top notch food and good entertainment, why not?  Syndication has been a huge opportunity, how often does a new race horse shareholder get into the game  pays there $200 a month and doesn't even get close to breaking even or get strung along given the bare minimum in updates on there horse until they get fed up with it and never set foot on a racetrack again?  When is the last time we asked young people what would get them along?  Why do clubs do all the work and get no revenue whatsoever from the off course?  Why does the tax gained from racing go back into investment?  These are all challenges and I really hope we see some major change or that magnificent beast the thoroughbred racehorse will have no reason to be.

You have to break things into paragraphs Tom. Hardly anyone will have read through all of that.

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

You have to break things into paragraphs Tom. Hardly anyone will have read through all of that.

Lol paragraphs are all well and good, but sorry that was on a small screen on a mobile phone so It is hard to do (as the text dissapears) I can however compromise and log into my pc for any rant of more than 100 words or so.