RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Mardy

Marlborough HRC Are On The Move in June.

Marlborough HRC to race at Addington

08 May 2017

The Marlborough HRC has resolved to make a big change to its June, winter meeting. Owing to road closures, following the November earthquakes and taking into account other factors, the club has decided to move its Sunday 25 June raceday to Addington Raceway and forgo the Friday 23 June date.

A Programme for the meeting will be developed and made available online at hrnz.co.nz as soon as possible.

I guess it's the right thing to do considering the current circumstances.A shame that i won't be seeing any LIVE harness racing action next month.Makes ya wonder what will happen with their meeting in January.

3 minutes ago, Mardy said:

08 May 2017

The Marlborough HRC has resolved to make a big change to its June, winter meeting. Owing to road closures, following the November earthquakes and taking into account other factors, the club has decided to move its Sunday 25 June raceday to Addington Raceway and forgo the Friday 23 June date.

A Programme for the meeting will be developed and made available online at hrnz.co.nz as soon as possible.

I guess it's the right thing to do considering the current circumstances.A shame that i won't be seeing any LIVE harness racing action next month.Makes ya wonder what will happen with their meeting in January.

Unfortunately a very sensible decision - that road is going to get worse and worse during winter. I do feel they should fly you down though Mardy !

Logical idea for Blenheim to race at Addington and more clubs should be doing it.

With the costs of travelling away from Chch including transport and accommodation that owners have to pay for it makes total sense.

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

08 May 2017

You will just have to get your fix at the nelson meeting. Two days racing there and not to far away.

5 hours ago, chelseacol said:

Unfortunately a very sensible decision - that road is going to get worse and worse during winter. I do feel they should fly you down though Mardy !

The road is improving weekly. I travelled from Christchurch to Blenheim and back again last week and the road, particularly in the St Arnaud/Rainbow ski field area and from Hanmer to Lewis Pass has improved a lot. The road work crews have done a great job and they are not finished yet.

The Club will probably get better fields at Addington so should be more attractive to punters which will mean a better payout for the MHRC. 

4 hours ago, Brodie said:

Logical idea for Blenheim to race at Addington and more clubs should be doing it.

With the costs of travelling away from Chch including transport and accommodation that owners have to pay for it makes total sense.

Don't you think it would get a bit boring if all clubs raced at Addington Brodie? Stakes there aren't that great and they struggle to get sponsors as it is. And one would imagine that most of the trainers currently in Nelson and Blenheim would probably give up.

26 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Makes one wonder what will happen to Kaikoura later in the year. And I wonder what the "other factors" were that they took into account.

Yea i have often wondered about Kaikoura later in the year..i did hear thru the grapevine that the track escaped damage....but it's the roads that may stop it from going ahead.If they have too they will probably move it too Addington...as much as i love Addington..it definitely would not create the same buzz in having the Kaikoura  Cup run there,than it would if it was at the beautiful South Bay.

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

Don't you think it would get a bit boring if all clubs raced at Addington Brodie? Stakes there aren't that great and they struggle to get sponsors as it is. And one would imagine that most of the trainers currently in Nelson and Blenheim would probably give up.

No don't think it would be boring at all.

The reality is that most clubs are not that financial and can't see how Marlborough and Neilson are financially viable when they only run 4 days a year each.

The land would be worth far more valuable and economically viable in housing.

Addington is clearly the best and fairest track in Australasia.

Yes a lot of trainers from Nelson  and Marlborough may give up but the trainers that train up there would barely be meeting costs anyhow with the amount of travel required including racing at Palmerston North.

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Your make a number of points Brodie. Unfortunately for you they are unsubstantiated and are only your opinion  as much as you would like us to beleive "It is the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth"

I think it would be boring if all clubs raced at your favourite track, Addington. What makes Canterbury racing  interesting is the number of tracks that are provided for racing. Makes for varied racing patterns and many chances for upsets. You dislike Alex Park and call it boring. They race there every week with no other tracks available except Cambridge. Racing gets into a predictable pattern (which I dont mind) that you dislike. Addington would soon fall into the same if that was where the majority of harness racing was held. Drivers would fall into similar racing patterns without the thought of what to do on bigger and smaller tracks. You might like it Brodie but I think  most people  would be turned off

Have you seen Malbrough, Nelson, Kaikoura or Mots books to say that the reality is they are not financial. I havnt seen the books but would say that they are often more financial  then the 'larger' clubs. They are often run by volanteers, gain local sponsorship more readily and attract much bigger crowds.

The land would be more valuable in housing etc, however this applies to ALL racing clubs and most sporting venues anywhere  here in NZ and overseass. Your point is irrelevant. If everybody sold their land what would they do with the money with nowhere to race or have sports. Maybe keep one venue Addington and race there with their local money for the same trainers and owners to enjoy. Boooring!

Addington is a good track, but it is not clearly the best and fairest in Australasia. Again this is your opinion. There are any number of equally as good and arguably better. To mention a few. Ashburton, Wyndham. Oamaru, Melton, Port Pirie  and of course the big grass tracks scattered around the country.

I dont know if you have lived in smaller communities but racing is an integral part of life there. When  they have  meetings  in such  places  It is not just about the trainer gaining a living. The whole community gets behind the day with the planning involving months of volunteer participation. What that does for the areas in spirit and huge financial gain for the township cannot be measured against  whether the local trainers are viable or not. Many are hobby trainers anyway with full time jobs. I think your comments regarding this  point are a bit insensitive to the smaller racing areas and what they provide to the community. Addington is not the be all and end all or harness racing, unless you want South Island trotting to end up like the NI and Auckland, small fields and very few good horses racing in a similar pattern every week.  Not for me!    

6 hours ago, harewood said:

Your make a number of points Brodie. Unfortunately for you they are unsubstantiated and are only your opinion  as much as you would like us to beleive "It is the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth"

I think it would be boring if all clubs raced at your favourite track, Addington. What makes Canterbury racing  interesting is the number of tracks that are provided for racing. Makes for varied racing patterns and many chances for upsets. You dislike Alex Park and call it boring. They race there every week with no other tracks available except Cambridge. Racing gets into a predictable pattern (which I dont mind) that you dislike. Addington would soon fall into the same if that was where the majority of harness racing was held. Drivers would fall into similar racing patterns without the thought of what to do on bigger and smaller tracks. You might like it Brodie but I think  most people  would be turned off

Have you seen Malbrough, Nelson, Kaikoura or Mots books to say that the reality is they are not financial. I havnt seen the books but would say that they are often more financial  then the 'larger' clubs. They are often run by volanteers, gain local sponsorship more readily and attract much bigger crowds.

The land would be more valuable in housing etc, however this applies to ALL racing clubs and most sporting venues anywhere  here in NZ and overseass. Your point is irrelevant. If everybody sold their land what would they do with the money with nowhere to race or have sports. Maybe keep one venue Addington and race there with their local money for the same trainers and owners to enjoy. Boooring!

Addington is a good track, but it is not clearly the best and fairest in Australasia. Again this is your opinion. There are any number of equally as good and arguably better. To mention a few. Ashburton, Wyndham. Oamaru, Melton, Port Pirie  and of course the big grass tracks scattered around the country.

I dont know if you have lived in smaller communities but racing is an integral part of life there. When  they have  meetings  in such  places  It is not just about the trainer gaining a living. The whole community gets behind the day with the planning involving months of volunteer participation. What that does for the areas in spirit and huge financial gain for the township cannot be measured against  whether the local trainers are viable or not. Many are hobby trainers anyway with full time jobs. I think your comments regarding this  point are a bit insensitive to the smaller racing areas and what they provide to the community. Addington is not the be all and end all or harness racing, unless you want South Island trotting to end up like the NI and Auckland, small fields and very few good horses racing in a similar pattern every week.  Not for me!    

Incrediby well written and sensible Harewood. Well done.

Harewood, you made many points which is great.

Of course it is personal opinions but very unbiased.

It is fact that many clubs are not profitable nowadays.

Addington is clearly the best and fairest track in Australasia for giving all horses their chance.

Doubt that if racing was held basically solely at Addington that it would end up like Auckland as Canterbury harness is a lot stronger than Auckland.

45 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Harewood, you made many points which is great.

Of course it is personal opinions but very unbiased.

It is fact that many clubs are not profitable nowadays.

Addington is clearly the best and fairest track in Australasia for giving all horses their chance.

Doubt that if racing was held basically solely at Addington that it would end up like Auckland as Canterbury harness is a lot stronger than Auckland.

Given its fact, please name just three clubs that aren't profitable and let us know what their respective losses were for the last financial year?

1 hour ago, SMD is rife said:

Given its fact, please name just three clubs that aren't profitable and let us know what their respective losses were for the last financial year?

SMD. Google Michael Guerin's article dated 12th August 2015 CLUBS FACE TOUGH DECISIONS .

It is a known fact that many clubs are not financial SMD.

Nelson for one is in dire straights owing tax and it is rumoured that their future is very clouded!

Forbury has also got major problems as we all know. $6000 stakes would tend to show that as well!

Havent got access to the financials for the clubs but wouldn't be disclosing on here if I did!

Forbury Park lost 280k for 2016.

39 minutes ago, SMD is rife said:

Forbury is one

1 hour ago, tim vince said:

a club official assured me kaikoura will race at kaikoura later this year hopefully with good stake increases. great place great club and great racing.  from the horses mouth so to speak

Well that's good to hear.But i guess if the road is still munted..those of us that are in the Marlborough/Nelson region will have to go the loooooooong way to get to the South Bay,as we can't really go the way we used too at the moment.

On 5/8/2017 at 10:48 PM, Brodie said:

The reality is that most clubs are not that financial and can't see how Marlborough and Neilson are financially viable when they only run 4 days a year each.

The land would be worth far more valuable and economically viable in housing.

Addington is clearly the best and fairest track in Australasia.

Yes a lot of trainers from Nelson  and Marlborough may give up but the trainers that train up there would barely be meeting costs anyhow with the amount of travel required including racing at Palmerston North.

Clearly not much of a form analyst if you think Addington is the fairest track in Australasia. Horses drawn out wide or on the second row and get back in the running have virtually no chance there these days.

1 hour ago, MisterEd said:

Clearly not much of a form analyst if you think Addington is the fairest track in Australasia. Horses drawn out wide or on the second row and get back in the running have virtually no chance there these days.

Name a fairer track then.

Horses from the front of the outside can lead no problem if the horse has gate speed and wants to go out!