RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
hedley

Trackside can't be bothered showing preliminaries

2 hours ago, hedley said:

4 Races gone at Marlborough today and no preliminaries have been shown.

Wake Up and lift your game to deliver just the basics to the funders of this industry..the Punters.

Its not just NZ that has that problem. Part of the reason is young TV smarties who get into racing and believe studying the form and prices is all thats required. It takes a number of years till they finally turn the corner and realize just how important viewing the horse is. Some years ago whilst talking to a very successful Hong Kong operator I queried why the betting syndicate wasn't taking enough notice of paddock reports. Well this syndicate only does things that are proven so they employed several paddock spotters and then analysed the results. Well the outcome was they employed them permanently.

I like Jenny's Hong Kong reports but still can't figure out her "walkers". Other commentators just pick paddock standouts just for the sake of picking them. THey aren't reliable. The context i.e. freshup, backup etc goes alongside paddock tips so its not just picking the one with the flashy mane. Myself I look for demenour realizing that the application of "the needle" can be a giveaway with appearance.

Recently, the central districts coverage by Trackside has featured Bevan Sweeny and Tony Lee providing a runner by runner summary of the individual ..how it's presented today and the merits and or detriments of it's recent starts.

This is simply brilliant coverage and a long time overdue..made possible by the fluencies of Tony Lee and his fine concise vocabulary...which encourages Bevan Sweeney's speils to fit in well 'on the volley'.

Top marks and don't forget the paramount importance of those preliminaries..keep it up Trackside, it is mighty fine T.V., and deserves the praise of our appreciations.

Oh don't worry half the time they don't do them at some tracks, don't bother to go up the straight and gallop past the spectators, many times i have seen them head to the barriers in opposition direction or up the shute and no where near the punters, a bloody disgrace in my book and been happening for years, mostly at the small meetings. Stipes or jockeys don't seem to care.Should be compulsory. Always used to be.

Another thing that annoys is why don't the put owners names in when showing the results on screen in repay highlights, they show the trainer jockey breeding, why not the owners, are they not important.I think thats poor.

It is great that we get prelims, but It would be nice if we could get 5 seconds vision of each horse, if they miss a horse in the prelim they should focus on these ones around at the start. There are certain camera operators that seem to focus on one horse or show every horses backside as they go around the turn, or try some artistic talent by zooming in or out, no use at all.

15 hours ago, gubellini said:

Annoying when Trackside doesn't show the preliminary of a horse you have a share in. Seems I will have to go to the races to see how it goes down in it's preliminary!

Bloody shame owners can't even get to the stable to put the winning polish on or help gear up.

45 minutes ago, gubellini said:

Shad harness owners can and do get close up to their horse. Why the discrepancy between the two codes?

Gypsies are a lot quieter, different animals altogether really.

The Kentucky Derby today was interesting, it looked like chaos, owners and runners jammed together, but the runners were very quiet. I wonder if that was because the better horses are invariably the quietest ( there's a PhD thesis there).

That's not normal with thoroughbreds though and one major accident is one too many unfortunately.

On 5/4/2017 at 9:16 PM, hedley said:

Recently, the central districts coverage by Trackside has featured Bevan Sweeny and Tony Lee providing a runner by runner summary of the individual ..how it's presented today and the merits and or detriments of it's recent starts.

This is simply brilliant coverage and a long time overdue..made possible by the fluencies of Tony Lee and his fine concise vocabulary...which encourages Bevan Sweeney's speils to fit in well 'on the volley'.

Top marks and don't forget the paramount importance of those preliminaries..keep it up Trackside, it is mighty fine T.V., and deserves the praise of our appreciations.

Agreed this is very welcome. Couple of pointers. On Sunday at Wanganui both parades and prelims were recorded which meant almost no time from prelims to jump. Secondly I query how accurate Tony Lee's observations from up in the tower looking down can be.

If the whole process can be compacted by flicking from runner to runner it wouldn't hurt.