RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ohokaman

O'Shea and Godolphin part company....

4 hours ago, Trump said:

Chevy, just as celibacy is a myth in the Catholic Church (seen the film "Spotlight"?), some of the Muslim beliefs are also myths! I was in a training camp with an Iranian Muslim and his room was next to mine. Every morning I was woken up by his early morning prayer session as he faced Mecca and wailed! Yet after work, in the evening, he loved to defy his "no booze" beliefs by pouring Johnny Walker Black down his gullet. When I asked him his reason for defying his faith his response was, "Alas my friend, it is surely a weakness for which I pray Allah's forgiveness". Beadman's Christian beliefs won't present a problem :)

Was in Istanbul a couple of years ago and asked the guide" why the need for call to prayer 5 times a day? Surely twice a day would get the message through". See with people like your mate Trump there would be heavy on-line traffic calling on Allah for forgiveness so could be a bit like trying to get through to a government department.

What's next at Godolphin?

on>
BY BRUCE CLARK - @SNOWYCLARK
12 minutes ago Horse Racing

on>As the fallout continues from John O’Shea’s hurried and messy departure as head trainer from Godolphin, they have confirmed his full time replacement will be Australian.

After a week of speculation, mostly fuelled by Godolphin’s own silence, late on Friday night they confirmed the obvious that is O’Shea was leaving and his assistant Darren Beadman would take over in the interim.

“The last few weeks have been difficult,” Henry Plumptre,  Australian managing director, admitted to to G1X.com.au in a frank discussion about all things Godolphin.

“In saying nothing it was more in deference to John and making sure we had all our ducks in row before going public. Yes it was a touch messy, perhaps I got some good ideas out of that.”

And Plumptre admitted much of the week was spent “scrambling” to get Beadman a trainer’s licence to allow time to search for a full time replacement.

The less Godolphin said, the more the rumour mill fuelled possible replacements, as well as reasons about O’Shea’s departure, all something Plumptre was openly and willingly keen to address.

“It was the same speculation when Peter (Snowden left), it’s just a matter of dealing with it. People like to talk about us, we are a company of interest in the sports world and to some extent we want to be engaged with people.

“We are running a company that has to perform and now it is our job to get the best person to train these horses,” he said.

Social media hit full fire on Friday off the back of Fox Sports reporting James Cummings would be announced as a new Godolphin trainer that day.

Plumptre confirmed no trainer has been officially approached for the position.

“With Darren knowing how our systems and people work, we can no go about identifying someone to come and take the (head training) role,” Plumptre said.

“Included in that is understanding how a trainer could extricate themselves from a current position with owners and horses, you couldn’t expect a trainer to just walk out of their yard into ours which is why having Darren in the interim role gives us a comfort zone for that process to run.”

He said he hoped a trainer would be announced by September and the start of the spring (if not sooner) but it would be a one person job across the two state racing operation and most likely Australian.

“I am leaning to a local who knows our racing, which is quite unique, our handicapping system etc. You could bring the best out of Newmarket and they mightn’t cut the mustard here, just like an Aussie going there and struggling under their system, so yes we are searching in Australia.”

“Speculation is one thing, there is a very nice list of possible we can now start talking too and working through,” Plumptre said.

Godolphin made all the right noises and praises in their Friday night press release about O’Shea after his record breaking season of nearly 170 winners, four Group 1’s and $15.5m in prizemoney.

“John has overseen significant change and on track success at our racing organisation over the past three years and we thank him for the hard work and dedication he brought to the role,” the official statement said.

It begged the question then – why at his best – is O’Shea leaving only three years into  five year contract?

“Every trainer is an individual with different characteristics, a good trainer is like a good football coach, they place enormous pressure on themselves and on those around them to perform, John was no different,” Plumptre said.

He made no secret that O’Shea and Godolphin management many times had  “robust discussion on a range of issues.”

“John was a driven person as a public trainer, seven days a week, and he brought that to us, driving the team for results. He was very competitive, it’s not the way of Godolphin and Sheik Mohammed to place pressure on the head trainer, but it is what they do with their own characteristics.

“Is John burned out, I’m sure he is, but you could say Peter (Snowden) had the same work ethic and drive while John (Hawkes – before him) was legendary in chasing results, its goes with the territory of a successful trainer,” Plumptre said.

Plumptre outlined the “hidden pressures’ of running a commercial global stable like Godolphin that employs 200 staff under its Australian arm.

“We are scaling back to about 300 racehorses (from 420) and our broodmare band to 150 (from 200) but the aim is for every horse to be Saturday class,” he said.

“It costs us about $75,000 a year to train a horse on the books and we have to break even which means we must win a couple of city races a year per horse.

“But on top of that we aim to win about 40 black type races and three or four Group 1’s to enhance the breeding stock value,” he said.

But the big pressure comes with each male yearling – valued on Godolphin books between $250,000 and $800,000 and turning them into a stallion

“That’s the massive difference and if we can do that we are in the black for the year. John was able to do that with Astern and we also have Exosphere, Holler and Contributer standing at Mapperley Stud in New Zealand, so the aim of increasing the value of the bloodstock is another focus for our trainer.”

In the meantime, Plumptre said he no fears that it was “business as usual” at Godolphin under the stewardship of Beadman.

“We have excellent systems in place with excellent staff and people running them under the knowledge of what is expected.”

on>

Maybe 2nd time lucky...LOL

James Cummings signs on for the Godolphin head trainer job 

Chris Roots

Godolphin will confirm James Cummings as its head Australian trainer to replace John O'Shea as early as Tuesday.

It is a coming together of one of the most famous families in Australian racing with a global powerhouse headed by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum.

Fairfax Media understands Cummings, the grandson of legendary trainer Bart, has signed a seven-figure contract to take over the massive racing operation, which has stables at Agnes Banks, Warwick Farm and Flemington.

Godolphin did not return calls on Monday. The announcement is likely to be made by press release.

Cummings has been mooted as the Godolphin trainer since O'Shea's shock exit last month. It is likely he will take over the stables from August 1, allowing him to finish the Brisbane carnival with Prized Icon, Good Standing and a number of other high quality gallopers for existing clients.

It will mean Godolphin interim trainer Darren Beadman will get a chance to have a group 1 winner during the Brisbane carnival.

Cummings was born into Australian racing royalty, and although he has a university degree, he has worked in stables for much of his life.

He was foreman for his grandfather Bart for four years before he gained his trainer's licence in 2013. He trained in partnership with Bart for a couple of years until his death in August 2015.

The pair produced a group 1 winner in Hallowed Crown, which was the first unbeaten Golden Rose winner before going on to win the Randwick Guineas. Hallowed Crown was retired to stand as a stallion at Darley, Sheikh Mohammed's breeding operation.

The 29-year-old has trained 108 winners since running Leilani Lodge in his own right, with Prized Icon giving him another two group 1 successes by winning the Champagne Stakes and Victoria Derby last year.

Cummings fits the model for the job at Godolphin as he has had good black-type success with two-year-olds and has a proven track record that he can produce a winning stallion, which is key to Godolphin's operation.

He will be the face of the Godolphin operation, which prides itself on integrity and a winning culture.

The Godolphin stables have had more than 180 winners in Australia this season and have more than 300 horses in work.

It is unclear what will happen to Bart Cummings' famed Leilani Lodge stable at Randwick when his grandson takes the Godolphin job.  

17 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Good luck to the young fella. Will make lots of money in the short term but will need to learn to always recite the word "Team" on every possible occasion.

and also say that Henry Plumtre  is the best thing since sliced bread.

1 hour ago, the shue25 said:

and also say that Henry Plumtre  is the best thing since sliced bread.

That was a given The Shue.

Given JC has only been a licensed trainer since 2013 its a strange appointment by Henry but i suppose there's nothing that new in that. Beadman's reaction will be interesting. We will find out how much of a team man he really is or will they just pay him more to keep the peace.

5 hours ago, Newmarket said:

That was a given The Shue.

Given JC has only been a licensed trainer since 2013 its a strange appointment by Henry but i suppose there's nothing that new in that. Beadman's reaction will be interesting. We will find out how much of a team man he really is or will they just pay him more to keep the peace.

He has trained a Group 1 winner... why is it a strange decision...??? Young fella on the way up.

43 minutes ago, Nice Option said:

Although I haven't, I think it fair that posters are allowed to comment on HP given he is a fairly integral part of the whole setup. No need to be so sensitive....

I know him very well and not being sensitive but just asking if these guys actually know him...sure they can comment but not just try to assume stuff if they don't have a clue.

1 minute ago, scooby3051 said:

I know him very well and not being sensitive but just asking if these guys actually know him...sure they can comment but not just try to assume stuff if they don't have a clue.

Fair enough - I have run into him on the odd occasion in Sydney, always seemed like a decent enough sort

4 minutes ago, the shue25 said:

i am very pleased that you know him,i am very proud of you.

Typical  comment from someone who is nothing more that shit stirring. Do you know that he wants everyone to tell him how great he is??? Because the guy i know is nothing like what you try to portray.

3 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

He has trained a Group 1 winner... why is it a strange decision...??? Young fella on the way up.

Thats not debated Scooby. Time will tell whether this was a wise choice. DGR,Dato and Goree will soon not be in the  frame along with others who support him currently.

Met HP once at Randwick, no comment because he is protected

14 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Thats not debated Scooby. Time will tell whether this was a wise choice. DGR,Dato and Goree will soon not be in the  frame along with others who support him currently.

Met HP once at Randwick, no comment because he is protected

Protected my arse... just don't talk shit like your mate... from what I know and i have known him as a friend for 20 plus years he is a decent guy who does not demand respect from anyone... so stop being a smart arse. And you said in your original it was more about how long he had been training,and a strange decision by Henry, not who he trained for, so what is your real opinion based on??? Cheers.

59 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Protected my arse... just don't talk shit like your mate... from what I know and i have known him as a friend for 20 plus years he is a decent guy who does not demand respect from anyone... so stop being a smart arse. And you said in your original it was more about how long he had been training,and a strange decision by Henry, not who he trained for, so what is your real opinion based on??? Cheers.

. I suggest you look outside this thread to offshore posts about your friend.  As for JC i was merely making a factual observation about his current clients.Time will tell whether this was a wise choice by team Blue and JC

5 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Oh dear, obviously touched a nerve about him being protected and off you go so in effect i was correct with my earlier comments. I suggest you look outside this thread to offshore posts about your friend.  As for JC i was merely making a factual observation about his current clients.Time will tell whether this was a wise choice by team Blue and JC

Touched a nerve...bullshit...I just do not like my friends being maligned by nobodies who hide behind an internet name...cheers. I take people as i find them and I would far rather have the person I know as HP as friend than some no name like yourself who believes what is written on the net as gospel...

An inquiry into Godolphin's alleged failure to report a case of strangles during John O'Shea's tenure as head trainer has been adjourned until August but Plumptre tendered his resignation after 16 years with the organisation on Monday.

"I have been away for a short period overseas and have had time to reflect on the ongoing issue of strangles that was reported to Racing NSW stewards two months ago," Plumptre said in a statement.

"In view of the fundamental failure to report the issue at the time, it is the best option for Godolphin if I stand down.

"The reputation and integrity of Godolphin is the most important aspect of what we do and this issue has impacted on that reputation."

Plumptre's departure from Godolphin is the latest in the upheaval at the top of the Sheik Mohammed-owned organisation.

O'Shea departed as Godolphin's Australian head trainer in May while international racing manager John Ferguson left the business last month after trainer Saeed bin Suroor revealed deep rifts in the regime in a media interview.

Godolphin will announce a replacement for Plumptre "in the near future".

Taking one for the team is how its being described offshore. More to this surely

Over an undeclared case of strangles !!

FFS if every stud in NZ was held accountable for that indiscretion they'd all be closed down, not to mention certain high profile stables.

I suspect there's more to this Godolphin shit show than what's being revealed.