RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rumpole

Auckland Racing club steal trdaitional Wellington Cup day

For over 40 years the Wellington Cup was run on the last Saturday in January with great success

This year in a goodwill gesture they agreed with the 7s people to bring the cup forward by a week

so it was held on Wellington Anniversary weekend  it was the worst crowd ever.

Now for next year the word is the Auckland Racing Club have stolen the last Saturday in January for their Karaka Million meeting

This is disgraceful. there was nothing wrong with their Sunday evening meeting

I personally don't think Wellington helped themselves changing from the original two Saturday format with the addition of public holiday monday (always good crowd). The last day has turned into a non event and as a last resort adding the Thorndon Mile to that Raceday didn't work this year.

I feel the Wellington carnival races are best suited to a better quality of racing two Saturdays  not three

35 minutes ago, BruceL said:

I personally don't think Wellington helped themselves changing from the original two Saturday format with the addition of public holiday monday (always good crowd). The last day has turned into a non event and as a last resort adding the Thorndon Mile to that Raceday didn't work this year.

I feel the Wellington carnival races are best suited to a better quality of racing two Saturdays  not three

Bruce, were you there? I very much doubt it as there was a good crowd on the third day, especially considering that there had been Premier Racing at Trentham the previous three Saturdays!

I know that you have posted to the contrary but in my opinion the track played super well considering it was the fourth Saturday. 

The Cup should only be run on the last Saturday in January for a whole number of reasons. 

Whilst I agree with what NZ Bloodstock and the Auckland Racing Club are trying to do DONT destroy an iconic carnival to do it. 

Move the whole Sales Series one week further into February, loose one of the lesser Saturday's somewhere along the line, and all will be well. 

11 minutes ago, Insider said:

Bruce, were you there? I very much doubt it as there was a good crowd on the third day, especially considering that there had been Premier Racing at Trentham the previous three Saturdays!

I know that you have posted to the contrary but in my opinion the track played super well considering it was the fourth Saturday. 

The Cup should only be run on the last Saturday in January for a whole number of reasons. 

Whilst I agree with what NZ Bloodstock and the Auckland Racing Club are trying to do DONT destroy an iconic carnival to do it. 

Move the whole Sales Series one week further into February, loose one of the lesser Saturday's somewhere along the line, and all will be well. 

I was there and was hugely disappointed with the crowd and the atmosphere, the racing was held on a very tired track (maybe Trentham shouldn't have said yes to the extra meeting in early Jan and there was a lot of rain that week to be fair)

The cup hasn't been on the last saturday for a few years now so I don't think an iconic carnival is being destroyed at all as the 3 Saturdays is quite new, I attended Cup day in 2016 which was great, I feel the carnivals main races are suited to 2 Saturdays not 3, why dilute the product. 

Not sure where the negative vibe comes from around racing at Trentham last January , as the racing was nothing short of outstanding and some of the best racing seen this year imho. I looked forward to each Trentham Saturday as did many others I've spoken to.

The track played really well to my eye. For Wellington to handle 4 Saturdays in a row is a real credit to the track and the club, a wonderful carnival highlighted by competitive racing and great punting. I hope Wellington gets the 4 Saturdays again , really looking forward to it!  

On 29/04/2017 at 10:56 PM, Huey said:

Not sure where the negative vibe comes from around racing at Trentham last January , as the racing was nothing short of outstanding and some of the best racing seen this year imho. I looked forward to each Trentham Saturday as did many others I've spoken to.

The track played really well to my eye. For Wellington to handle 4 Saturdays in a row is a real credit to the track and the club, a wonderful carnival highlighted by competitive racing and great punting. I hope Wellington gets the 4 Saturdays again , really looking forward to it!  

I agree Huey. The Racing was great. Trentham will get 2 Saturdays next year and they will be told the Wellington cup will have to be run on Anniversary Weekend

not on its traditional day,

Wellington ( Des ) stick to your guns Saturday,Monday,Saturday format. The 3 Saturdays spread over 3 weeks is too disjointed.

The idea of a race CARNIVAL is that 2 or 3 race days are held over 5 to 8 days.

ARC keep your Karaka night Sunday !!!   

Just look at how successful the Warrnambool Carnival is - 3 days in a row !!! Also, the Melb Cup Carnival - Sat/Tues/Thurs/Sat, 4 days over one week!!!! Why doesn't Wellington race Sat/Mon and leave it at that? Market the event as a long weekend in Wellington and link up with a Sunday event for visitors ( a racing lunch in the city? Guest speakers from Trainers and Jockey ranks etc). That way, you can ask people from HBay/CD/Waikato etc to come for an "Event" over 3 days. If u have it over 2 or 3 weeks, people aren't going to stay on. That's what makes Warrnambool and MC carnivals so inviting. A 3 days in a row event or a MC week - a great holiday enticement.

changing the subject, I,m not in the know, re Auckland Cup, no longer New Years day.

But I,m picking figures down???...attendance and turnover?..(used to make Hastings News Years day meeting even more enjoyable.)

Karaka Sunday meeting ties in with sales,...does changing it, give them an extra Saturday?

I think the Wellington Cup and Telegraph both on the same Saturday is a good Idea, (enjoy a boys trip away)..

but to be honest we only stay one night and drive back Sunday Arvo.

Porky, previous to the establishment of the March ARC carnival, ARC had it's Boxing Day event etc. If you want to compare, you have to compare the old carnival held from Boxing Day, v the TWO Carnivals held at Xmas and March.