RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
zelda kratchanova 2

bedgerebong picnics races

22 hours ago, tasman man 11 said:

Take notes and compare with when you come to NZ in a few months.

Cost of entry ,entertainment ,food available, facilities etc.

Good aspects ,room for improvement etc.

You could help save the industry in NZ.

when-ever I ask the question about moves / ploys / strategies / marketing... to entice on course punters back to your average race day?,

It is met with a, who cares / too hard / too much other entertainment options these days, reply...with a comment that clubs only benefit by %8 of on course

turnover and being @ the mercy of the weather, and the cost of employing staff ( tote/security/catering etc)  I GUESS  , puts it in the too hard basket !

Something needs to change, fast , to help racing,..step 1...FREE GATE SUBSIDY,  step 2  EFFECTIVE ADVERTISING AND MARKETING.

NO BYO (like competitors for the entertainment $) for those out on the lawn, affordable beer tent (say 3 for $20/ beers or wine cup)...same in Bars...(inter-track coverage)  to entice entry.    IMHO

Aussie is the same, in that, the premier meetings are well attended and mid-weekers or @ your average Saturday, "you can swing a cat"

our country meets outstrip their city counterparts, not only for the Pic-Nic atmosphere, but turnover as well !    

To Porky I am sick of reading from you about free gate entry it does nothing.Ellerslie for most meetings charge no entry fee and even on Easter Saturday when hardly anyone was on course.Randwick for Queen Elizabeth Day charged $40.I can only guess that when you go to the track you are a $1 each way betor take your own food and drink and what  does the club make from you nothing. When you go to a pub ,café  I assume you happily pay the prices but you want racing clubs to give it to you for free well most of them do apart from the big days(Wake Up) it is 2017 not 1917  if you think your ideas for marketing are going to work tell Butch Castles you will sponsor the marketing budget for their next meeting they will need more than $1

Hastings yesterday had a perfect surface,  fantastic weather , decent fields and free entry but unfortunately their was a very small crowd and no atmosphere. With a people catchment of approximately 180,000 in a 40 km radius you would hope and expect more oncourse. Not sure how they can reverse the lack of interest but needs to happen asap!

Zelda - looking forward to photos here - please pay the chemist with urgency  (dollars may result in quicker service than rubles perhaps???)

I trust you sported a fancy fascinator in honor of the day :D (a photo of you in that fascinator would also be appreciated - we at the cafe would all love to put a face to your rather famous name ...)

What in your learned opinion was the highlight of the raceday for you?  (don't say Boris - you can have him any day ....)   

Regards, Jess 

10 hours ago, zelda kratchanova 2 said:

Best daze ever tm

when boris gets the pictures back from the cemist  shop I can paste them n0?

Sounds like a fab picnic Zelda..did you back a winner too...

Dad always took us kids & meet other family at the Avondale races in the 70's, throw the picnic blanket next to the 'Charger' on the grass.... mmm the smell of the thick fresh green grass when you pulled up ..you knew you were at the races.

Then everyone did there own thing for the whole day...nice times:)

4 hours ago, Fiery Falcon said:

To Porky I am sick of reading from you about free gate entry it does nothing.Ellerslie for most meetings charge no entry fee and even on Easter Saturday when hardly anyone was on course.Randwick for Queen Elizabeth Day charged $40.I can only guess that when you go to the track you are a $1 each way betor take your own food and drink and what  does the club make from you nothing. When you go to a pub ,café  I assume you happily pay the prices but you want racing clubs to give it to you for free well most of them do apart from the big days(Wake Up) it is 2017 not 1917  if you think your ideas for marketing are going to work tell Butch Castles you will sponsor the marketing budget for their next meeting they will need more than $1

Thats pretty scathing stuff Fiery,...yeah, ya got some of it right...BUT mostly wrong...I attend all days at Hastings,  If I cant do it with a hundy, won,t do it with 1K or 10K...have family that bet bigger.

Just a couple of points...the amount of times I,ve heard the comment," thieving pricks"...(re gate entry) that has meant potential on course patrons stay away and punt elsewhere.

Yeah, take our own grog, because the club allow a six pack and makes the BBQ table experience, out front, Complete. Don,t deny they provide facilities for all comers and do a good job (unfortunately no inter-track viewing out front, but a quick scale up the public bar steps (bar,TV screens, totes)...Members stand also well equip and good view of track/finishing post.

New years day, Bumper crowd...(last year return and word of mouth patrons)...I don,t profess to have the answers mate, BUT,  Butch came from Ellerslie (biggest pop. in NZ) and you say hardly anyone on course...well we have the same prob. at your average meeting...must be ineffective marketing that is relatively cheap with todays on-line communication or a few well placed signs.

I,m sure non racing people, Hawkes Bay wide, were unaware we had a meeting yesterday and the entertainment value of attending.  

http://www.theinformant.co.nz/racing/archive/2015/07/NS39173/Castles-to-depart-Ellerslie-for-Hawkes-Bay 

4 hours ago, Pegs Pride said:

What would readers of this thread think the biggest drawcard to be oncourse at a meeting might be?

What do you think the "atmosphere" needs to be for a racegoer?

Just wondering what your thoughts are. Then I'll share mine.

seasonal fashion,music,catered TAB facilities to meet weather conditions,punters club,singles tent,100 metre human sprints, etc, etc

Bubbly,enjoyable,stress free day out

We have to accept that as a spectacle racing has no value or relevance in a modern world, it's just a fading sunset industry.

To compound matters the Trackside service is so good ( not the personnel, just the service ) that there's really no reason to be on course these days, unless it's a carnival and you're catching up with mates or looking at the peripheral fashion type stuff.

What would be stopping clubs running a mini-meeting? 4-5 races compacted over 2 to 2 and a half hours, Friday/Saturday night during summer when daylight should allow it.

Main thing that would prevent families going to races is the fact it takes a long time out of busy schedules. 

Sorry people,but i'm going to have a vent about Te Rapa.I've just had to make a quick 7 day visit back to  NZ and attended The Cambridge Jockey Clubs supposedly "Premier meeting".

Atmosphere (1), picking up to a 2 by R6 after a group in the bar had a decent collect with high fives all round.

Trackside are doing there dribble on TV,but where is the club's rep giving info to the on course public in the rear parade ring for each race (0)

Bar and food (1), barmen who didn't want to be there,stock running  out by R3.The food was undiscribable.As my brother said where the f- - - is the old pie/hot dog and chip cart when you need it!!

Not enough  betting windows open for the amount of  other race meetings .

I presume this is NZ racing as we know it now? 

Awful, tired, disappointing  and unprofessional were words I kept repeating on Saturday. 

Premier  racing my arse!!!

(Come in midget)

Bon Voyage 

1 hour ago, Midget said:

We have to accept that as a spectacle racing has no value or relevance in a modern world, it's just a fading sunset industry.

To compound matters the Trackside service is so good ( not the personnel, just the service ) that there's really no reason to be on course these days, unless it's a carnival and you're catching up with mates or looking at the peripheral fashion type stuff.

Couldn't disagree with you more Midget.

One only has to observe the crowds at the Grand National at Aintree, at the Kentucky Derby, The Dubai World Cup, the Melbourne Cup, any of the meetings when champs (i.e. Winx) race etc etc etc etc, to feel and be a part of the SPECTACLE of racing. It's why so many of us still want to go to the races. 

Awfully, there's no spectacle in NZ racing. A feeling of malaise mixed somewhat with discontent, disgruntlement, disillusion and boredom pervades the courses (a bit like some of your posts Midget), not to mention unprofessionalism, lethargy, sourness  (all as Swoopa above describes) and boredom.

And I don't believe Trackside does a good job at all. It merely exists: bereft of personality like the entire racing industry HERE. The necessity of making revenue through punting is simply not going to happen with the product we currently offer, nor will it until we start believing we can make it happen (as I believe Aussi did) and start by sweeping out the old and DOING it. Now. With people of the enthusiasm, positivity and energy to succeed. Trackside could start by finding out what punters LIKE to know, see and hear before they bet. And it has a unique ability to make viewers FEEL the excitement of racing. Heck, the pictures of meetings like Premier race days at Te Rapa is enough to put off any prospective racegoer/bettor. Then there's the rambling of the Trackside presenter who butts in over the pictures and sounds of joyful success!!! 

I know all of this has been discussed at length in the board rooms, but nothing is going to change until we focus on the FACE we wish to create for racing and that does not include the same dull, personality-bereft and boring faces and voices we continue to have to endure. A bloody good clear out would be a good start, and, as Swoopa described, some semblance of a thriving, professional and bloody good fun event to be at. The marketing images do not match the on-course realities that's for sure.

I don't know if it's time to stop the moans and tirades (mine included). I'm not sure it helps. I do believe RACING is still alive as a spectacle, or in NZ's case, could be. And it can be relative: the carnivals on fewer main courses and the "picnic" events at others.

I suppose the big question is can racing can survive without the crowds and spectacle? I don't believe so. I don't want to. The passion for the sport and the horse is still very much alive. I believe racing still has great value and relevance in today's modern world. If you don't think so, why moan and get angry about the industry? Just wave goodbye and say good riddance.

You wouldn't have to put up with forums, horses, champions, industry, moaning. Just EXTINCTION. You might then have something to celebrate and be a happy person. Oh woe.

Respectfully

Not too good at reading huh Pegs ?

You open with " couldn't disagree with you more " then immediately proceed to agree with me 100% by citing four major global carnivals as evidence of the wellbeing of racing.

The rest of your ramble is lacking in coherency but if you wish to edit it and make it intelligible I'd be happy to debate the "relevance of everyday racing to modern NZ society" with you.

Might I suggest that before you return serve you take time out to consider the difference between the sizzle and the sausage PP, and let's then talk about racing at say Hawera or Whanganui, midweek, in June, rather than the glorious Flemington in November which is not really about racing, it's a social event, a phenomena ( although you seem to have difficulty distinguishing between the two ).

Looking forward to your sober reply.

5 hours ago, Swoopa said:

Sorry people,but i'm going to have a vent about Te Rapa.I've just had to make a quick 7 day visit back to  NZ and attended The Cambridge Jockey Clubs supposedly "Premier meeting".

Atmosphere (1), picking up to a 2 by R6 after a group in the bar had a decent collect with high fives all round.

Trackside are doing there dribble on TV,but where is the club's rep giving info to the on course public in the rear parade ring for each race (0)

Bar and food (1), barmen who didn't want to be there,stock running  out by R3.The food was undiscribable.As my brother said where the f- - - is the old pie/hot dog and chip cart when you need it!!

Not enough  betting windows open for the amount of  other race meetings .

I presume this is NZ racing as we know it now? 

Awful, tired, disappointing  and unprofessional were words I kept repeating on Saturday. 

Premier  racing my arse!!!

(Come in midget)

Bon Voyage 

Were you at the same race course as me? I had the complete opposite experience.

Firstly Saturday was the first day for the new caterers and the food and service was excellent, with a few teething problems one could expect.

Plenty of atmosphere most races in the grandstand with many great finishes and a loud crowd.

Club rep in rear parade ring? WTF No one was out there, it was pissing down most of the day.

One can only conclude you are comparing Te Rapa with Flemington or you are just a moaner for the sake of it.

13 hours ago, Pegs Pride said:

What would readers of this thread think the biggest drawcard to be oncourse at a meeting might be?

What do you think the "atmosphere" needs to be for a racegoer?

Just wondering what your thoughts are. Then I'll share mine.

You gave us no solutions Pegs, just as Midget says an incoherent moaning ramble.

The harsh reality is who are you going to get to go along to Te Rapa on a wet Saturday afternoon a month out from winter.

Those heavily involved in the industry and die hard racing fans, a few sponsors and there invitees and that's about it. The on course experience is as dull as ditch water for any new comer unless its the middle of Dec/Jan & has been for 30 yrs.

Porky talks about taking a hundy along to the races & having a few beers and a bet, now why would he do that when today there are a multitude of things he could use that hundy on that didn't exist 30 yrs ago. The crux of the issue in NZ is race betting is not socially acceptable like it is in Aus or the UK, its for losers, people with gambling problems etc. Now if Porky were to spend that money on attending a Super Rugby game or buy a few bottles of wine  would the perception of him being a loser be the same?.  Why is sports betting far more socially acceptable?.  Tell people you own a race horse and compare that to telling them you own a boat.

Heres the test of what I describe above.

When at an interview for a new job and asked about what you do at the weekend, would you say I love betting at the races or I love going out fishing as your 2 choices for a response.

This is Peg's second last paragraph. As a part of Peg's schizophrenic disjointed ramble she touches on the odd accurate and succinct point ( just as a blind squirrel gets the odd acorn ).

Anyway Peg has made an observation that if you think on course racing is not relevant then you should just walk away.

Hellooooooooo Peg, this is planet earth calling, that's exactly what's happening and that's why crowds are rapidly diminishing.

Anyway here's your quote.

"I suppose the big question is can racing can survive without the crowds and spectacle? I don't believe so. I don't want to. The passion for the sport and the horse is still very much alive. I believe racing still has great value and relevance in today's modern world. If you don't think so, why moan and get angry about the industry? Just wave goodbye and say good riddance."

Now how about you tell us the solution, I'll keep the topic simple for you ( clearly that's still quite some challenge for you but here we go ).

What three things are we currently doing wrong that if remedied would bring crowds back to an average NZ race meeting ?

2 hours ago, barryb said:

Were you at the same race course as me? I had the complete opposite experience.

Firstly Saturday was the first day for the new caterers and the food and service was excellent, with a few teething problems one could expect.

Plenty of atmosphere most races in the grandstand with many great finishes and a loud crowd.

Club rep in rear parade ring? WTF No one was out there, it was pissing down most of the day.

One can only conclude you are comparing Te Rapa with Flemington or you are just a moaner for the sake of it.

No Barry, I'm not a  moaner, in fact quit the opposite. I'm glad you had a great experience but for me it will be one that goes into the could try better folder!!Yes it was raining  all day, my point about the parade ring was that it doesn't stop a club giving punters old and new who have got off their arse to attend the meeting or any race meeting to give them an experience and as much information on each race as possible,and to create a atmosphere so they will return time after  time.The racing I enjoyed with good fields and even  ended up on the day.Maybe my expectations  for a "Premier" meeting were too high, I shall return. 

Cheers

2 hours ago, barryb said:

You gave us no solutions Pegs, just as Midget says an incoherent moaning ramble.

The harsh reality is who are you going to get to go along to Te Rapa on a wet Saturday afternoon a month out from winter.

Those heavily involved in the industry and die hard racing fans, a few sponsors and there invitees and that's about it. The on course experience is as dull as ditch water for any new comer unless its the middle of Dec/Jan & has been for 30 yrs.

Porky talks about taking a hundy along to the races & having a few beers and a bet, now why would he do that when today there are a multitude of things he could use that hundy on that didn't exist 30 yrs ago. The crux of the issue in NZ is race betting is not socially acceptable like it is in Aus or the UK, its for losers, people with gambling problems etc. Now if Porky were to spend that money on attending a Super Rugby game or buy a few bottles of wine  would the perception of him being a loser be the same?.  Why is sports betting far more socially acceptable?.  Tell people you own a race horse and compare that to telling them you own a boat.

Heres the test of what I describe above.

When at an interview for a new job and asked about what you do at the weekend, would you say I love betting at the races or I love going out fishing as your 2 choices for a response.

You make good points Baz,

I choose to use that hundy at the races,as I have for decades,(Bred into me) as well as going boat fishing,attending concerts and  ITM rugby (C,mon Da Bay)...where has the rugby,racing and beer mentality gone?

BUT... I reckon you have hit the nail on the head

The new generation has to be enticed, and racing to be "seen" (to be socially acceptable) and of entertainment value.

I havn't been converted to wine as yet, but living in one of, if not, thee, largest wine regions in NZ,its become popular and even blokes are drinking wine!

Those winery concerts are "the place to be seen" @ around a hundy a ticket, oh spiffing,little finger in the air stuff...(just joking) but not for me !

What about doing a deal with one of the wineries to have a contra wine concert / 5 race premier field in the infield, (take a bit of organisation,Parking,totes,security etc) but most can bet on their cell phones.

This could be done at most courses with other events...e.g marathon finishes,Rugby games,tent city biker / car / caravan runs.

(whatever the local interest is or corresponding event)

Just a thought anyway   

Its a dead duck Porky unfortunately, in a nutter PC world racing has a limited future. 

Speaking of dead ducks, did you see the loonies at SAFE are protesting duck hunting & want it banned, FFS they are a introduced noxious pest. Now if these loons get traction on that issue, what hope for Racing.

4 minutes ago, barryb said:

Its a dead duck Porky unfortunately, in a nutter PC world racing has a limited future. 

Speaking of dead ducks, did you see the loonies at SAFE are protesting duck hunting & want it banned, FFS they are a introduced noxious pest. Now if these loons get traction on that issue, what hope for Racing.

Yeah I know Barry, then bloody TV1 has that thing on the news the other night about greyhounds...thats not news...possible Nuclear war is news! Shit they really fuck with peoples minds lately...or am I just thinking ignorance is bliss and only watch it once a week!

I am a bit of a greenie when it comes to toxic sprays into rivers and fishing practices that affect my catch, but thats about it...oh yeah thats right,sending the chinese our fresh water while we pay rates and drink chlorinated but sport is fair play...and  breeding is in place.

Just hope the powers that be make some attempt to revive the on-course numbers and industry as a whole. increased stakes a good start.