RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
final luca

best jumpers of the past..

watching you tube videos and posting in memories  post this last week, I was wondering who

could remember the great jumpers  of the 60;s and 70;s and 80;s that really stood out..

and as jumping season is upon us..

had a lot of time for kumai, Robert earl, and of course koral

and I think in those days it was common for flat horses taking to the jumps..

and oldest horse over the jumps? I always thought   TEAK, but niggle tells me i'm wrong..

final luca Teak was retired after winning his last start as a 15 year old in the Hawkes Bay Steeplechase at Hastings on 22/6/74. He was ridden by Paul Whiteman. He was only a baby compared to a horse called Banjo who ran fourth in the 1880 Grand National Steeplechase at Riccarton. Banjo was 26 years of age!

2 hours ago, globederby12 said:

Yeah, he wasn't bad on the flat,       as long as it was covered in water. He won a big race somewhere, cant quite recall.?

2 hours ago, globederby12 said:

Yeah, he wasn't bad on the flat,       as long as it was covered in water. He won a big race somewhere, cant quite recall.?

Waikato hurdles t r gillies

14 hours ago, chevy86 said:

Falada winning the McGregor Grant etched in my memory. Just a pony as well.

Was small-ish alright Chevy but not quite a pony as was dashing jumping mare Prettypeen (Gordon Campbell, Tirau I think.) She WAS a pony and in the off-season competed in the pony ring in a number of shows. Falada was born on a rough, rank run-off next to our farm at Kopuku and a more under-nourished poor little bastard would be hard to find. Certainly grew up tough. She was by Golovine who stood at Kinross in the shadow of great stallion Summertime but shone as a sire of jumpers. Another from that same upbringing was Lombard who raced in point-to-points and amateur races without making an impression until he want to the stable of John Carter. He won the Hawkes Bay and Waikato Steeples among others and was by the obscure stallion Mahia Park. Incidentally I still remember the ;Hoof Beats' magazine of the day with a pic of him coming back to scale at Hawkes Bay with the caption "Handsome is as handsome does." That was a laugh as he was a big, coarse roman-nosed, lop-eared bugger.

Not top horses but another I recall was ANZAC Day '70 or 71. The first race at Avondale was called the "Over The Top Hurdles" and was won by Great Summit owned by Harley Bowler of Cambridge.

6 hours ago, Tauhei Notts said:

Foxonewa never got a mention.

Sure was some horse. Open class galloper then top jumper from Bob Autridge. Was around 17 hands too I I remember rightly and colonially bred by Fox Myth. I seem to recal his part owner lived in Onewa Rd on the north shore, Auckland and that's how he got his name.

Spring Fair of the '60s was similar ilk. Top handicapper and went on to win a National.

aircon was a good jumper that won a few in arrow.. 

chumson  won them in a row as well, family had a betting syn each week,you had to double your money to have another go the following week,

so I took chumson with the field in doubles, (think it was Diamond Pal at something like $90+ and the double about the same)

ececute wasn't that trained by bill sanders? that stable had a few good jumpers back then..

use to visit a young lass in te awamutu, who was looking after/riding a  ex jumper call High Lark,

29 minutes ago, TurnipOrange said:

Brockton was my first trial ride at the age of 13

Spectacular jumper, but his most spectacular moment was at the second of the stand double at Riccarton when he put his front legs through the fence just above the sighter board and sent Baggy into orbit.

2 hours ago, Midget said:

Spectacular jumper, but his most spectacular moment was at the second of the stand double at Riccarton when he put his front legs through the fence just above the sighter board and sent Baggy into orbit.

Not dissimilar to Hit Parade (Trevor Reynolds) in the Great Northern in the 50s. Twenty lengths in front at the last and simply didn't see the fence. Race won by Every Time.

Hit Parade returned to win it the next year though.