RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Midget

Big announcement pending

1 hour ago, Midget said:

I'd like to thank Tony Pike and the TA for finally flexing their muscles ( whilst combining with NZTR ) and reminding Hughes and John Allen who this industry actually belongs to & who they're ultimately accountable to, and in the process sending a decent shock wave through the NZRB offices.

Now you've seen what you can achieve Pikey I urge you to use the same tactics to remedy the various other racing matters that require urgent attention.

Might I suggest you start by getting on the phone and suggesting we get a top class NZ CE at NZTR, someone who has credibility and skin in the game, someone who can unite the industry rather than the recycled Australian said to already have been told he's got the job, and who's rumoured to be an inside appointment by "Played and Missed" Jackson.

Who's the possible recycled Australian?

Yes well done to John Allen, Tony Pike and all the industry reps who have finally turned talk into action.  

I totally agree with the previous posts that we badly need an all weather track in the Waikato region asap

This Bernard Saundry story can't be true can it ?

This is the guy who has been described as " the xxxx who bought Victorian racing to its knees " and the good oil is that he's being interviewed by NZTR next week ( one of three being interviewed ), and that he's been told by "played and missed" that the job is his.

Seriously !!

Another Australian who allegedly has a really dodgy history and they're saying they're employing him "because he is well connected at Tabcorp".....fuck me....why is NZTR getting in to bed with this guy at all and why is NZTR trying to get cosy with Tabcorp ?

This is really bizarre if it's true.

9 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Can anyone categorically tell me where this additional money is coming from.

Is it from  reserves or does NZRB modelling think that it will come from offshore in the guise of fees from racefield legislation.

very bad business practice to spend what you haven't got! ;)

8 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Is it from  reserves or does NZRB modelling think that it will come from offshore in the guise of fees from racefield legislation.

John Allen advised it was from both reserves and will be taking a small loan to cover it as well.  They advised some of the funding came via the proceeds for asset sales from within NZRB in selling some buildings.  He did mention this was only the start.  They must be extremely confident in the new F/O platform.

Regardless on your views regarding the platform, what I do get the sense of with John is that he is passionate, trying to bring about positive change and get things done for the industry

21 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Reserves in the short term, driven by pressure from Tim Mills, at the Million Dollar meeting, who demanded they do it if they genuinely believed their own blurb about the extra revenue from the new F/O platform etc....

Oh dear,in any business i have followed  reserves are usually only used when its panic stations. Obviously that's we are at. As for Tim Mills, nice bloke hardly a giant killer and scrutiny of his 22 years at the helm of CJC hardly inspires optimism IMHO.Put another way , he has been there far too long

25 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Oh dear,in any business i have followed  reserves are usually only used when its panic stations. Obviously that's we are at. As for Tim Mills, nice bloke hardly a giant killer and scrutiny of his 22 years at the helm of CJC hardly inspires optimism IMHO.Put another way , he has been there far too long

Correct NM.

Funding boost paints bright future for thoroughbred racing

20 April 2017, 5:34 p.m.

New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing (NZTR) is confident that the New Zealand Racing Board’s (NZRB) increased funding announcement will be very welcome news for the industry.

“We are very optimistic about the NZRB’s commitment to continued stakes increases” said Alan Jackson, Chair of NZ Thoroughbred Racing, in response to last night’s news.

The extra funding means that starting 1 August, thoroughbred racing will receive $6.5 million above its current allocation to be applied directly to increasing stakes.

“The industry has been anxiously waiting for this news. It will be the shot in the arm we need to encourage investment and participation in our sport.

“Over half of the extra funding will support our recent raising of the minimum thoroughbred race stakes to $10,000. The balance can boost stakes further still, added Dr Jackson.

“Although detail about how we will apply the balance of the funding is yet to be worked through, we are thrilled with the thrust of the Racing Board’s announcement” said Greg Purcell, NZTR Chief Executive.

The funding announced last night will be on top of the thoroughbred Code’s share of the $4.77m announcement in January to support stakes, infrastructure and youth development spread over two and a half seasons.

Information about the detailed distribution of the funds is being developed by the Code and updates will be made over coming weeks in preparation for the new season.

Guest 2Admin2

The more you read about this announcement the more smoke and mirrors you can see.  In the short term it must be coming from reserves or pokies as the current NZRB turnover is down 2.5%.  Given the shift from the tote to lower yield fixed odds continues racing derived revenue must be down.

42 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

The more you read about this announcement the more smoke and mirrors you can see.  In the short term it must be coming from reserves or pokies as the current NZRB turnover is down 2.5%.  Given the shift from the tote to lower yield fixed odds continues racing derived revenue must be down.

Im with you on this as i have already said above. Show us the money John , before you do the Cater Holt like all your recent predecessors and leave all codes deeper in it.

17 hours ago, slam dunk said:

Perhaps you could in clear language explain what the FO betting platform is and how it differs to the current "platform"

FO is fixed odds.  The idea is the new Fixed Odds betting platform will enable 10,000's of options for betting (like Ladbrokes, Bet365, William Hill etc have already).  This is very appealing for American Sports (which by their stop start nature etc have the biggest turnovers of all sports).

https://www.facebook.com/ajax/sharer/?s=11&appid=2392950137&id=618312198366819&p[0]=618312198366819&share_source_type=unknown&shared_ad_id=6075475049812&feedback_source=1&av=100004114475212&feedback_referrer=%2F

Great announcement...where-ever the funds have been / are being / will be ,derived (Reserves,Pokies,Loan?) ...what does Nathan Guy do again?

yeah, Admin given turnover down , I would prefer a mix of  Hueys suggestion of Free racing and a spread of increased stakes and

maybe a free gate entry subsidy, paid to clubs,( on the equivalent meeting, last year ) will encourage new punters and interest in the sport.  

I personally would opt for minimum stakes of $35K on a Saturday premier meeting.  I would also be open to premier Saturday meetings only being for 9 months of the year.

This was give you two tier of racing, weekend horses and midweek horses.  So if you have a good maiden you aim for a Saturday and try and get your training fees back for the year.

Horses would have to be handicapped accordingly.  A winner of a Saturday maiden would expect a higher rating than a winner of a Wednesday meeting.

Guest 2Admin2
31 minutes ago, shaneMcAlister said:

I personally would opt for minimum stakes of $35K on a Saturday premier meeting.  I would also be open to premier Saturday meetings only being for 9 months of the year.

This was give you two tier of racing, weekend horses and midweek horses.  So if you have a good maiden you aim for a Saturday and try and get your training fees back for the year.

Horses would have to be handicapped accordingly.  A winner of a Saturday maiden would expect a higher rating than a winner of a Wednesday meeting.

Tiered racing is a big part of the problem.  We don't have the horse population to justify it.

45 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

Tiered racing is a big part of the problem.  We don't have the horse population to justify it.

but still is a problem, and by and large, there is big difference in field quality between midweek and weekend races, and should be handicapped accordingly.  I think we actually need a new rating band, were we have races for rating 60 horses.

We need to stop our silly system were if a average horse can win 4 races or even 3 races in quick succession, there weight balloons and have to start contesting open races to soon.  In saying this, our open ranks overall are rather weak