RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Happy Sunrise

Taylor Mile Farce

4 nominations for the Taylor Mile.

How sad is that?

Purdon domination with Lazarus and Waikiki Beach has killed the race. Just hand out the money to connections and be done with it.

Who will bet on it! Might as well have a lowly trot instead

Although I don't generally agree with giving also ran's a larger slice of the pie, maybe in circumstances such as this they should pay $3,500 -$4,000  for horses finishing further back than 4th. This may encourage more  trainers to start.

It is also worth noting that since it was mandated that horses finishing further back than 4th should receive 2% of the stake this has not applied to races that carry acceptance fees.   The Taylor Mile for instance has an acceptance fee of $1150.00.  Horses finishing further back than 4th (that's if there are any) receive $2,000 less the acceptance fee of $1150 leaves them with $850.00 or  0.850% of the stake

So of those who would be competitive who is missing and are they likely to be absent for the Messenger too ?

DAWSON HARFORD & PARTNERS NZ MESSENGER CHAMPIONSHIP   Of $100000 ($53500 plus Trophy & Dress Rug, $17000, $8000, $5000, $2500, others $2000).
For all 4-year-old pacers. The first three placed runners in the Kumeu Stakes run on 7 April are guaranteed a start if nominated.
Acceptance fee: $1150.00

It doesn't seem that the Kumeu Stakes was run so the club may have been anticipating this level of interest in their 100K 4yo features.

I see now 6 with a Herlihy runner (R50) that couldn't even place on the grass at Hawera.      Wonder how many will be scratched before the race is run?       Sorry, I cannot back the club in this fiasco!

1 hour ago, Ohokaman said:

Hardly surprising is it fellas..?? You have two super 4 year olds who have won 48 races and $3m between them.....:rolleyes:

So why would anyone enter a horse who struggled in a r48 race.  That's not good placement is it.  I remember most calling rex keats a mug for entering stormy loch against the best 4yolds at Blenheim a couple of years ago. Given the same applies to this weeks race,do we put Mr Herlihy in the same boat. As jack spratt has said, the  race will probably turn into a race similar to the latest open class race they had at addington,a non competitive 800m sprint. it is what it is. The thing I often wonder about is where do some of the good all star 4 year olds get too.  For example mr mojito looked potentially the 3rd best of the all stars behind lazarus and heaven rocks but has not been seen since he under performed in western Australia. Reminds me of that peter ,paul and mary song,  how did it go.... Where have all the 4yolds gone.....

56 minutes ago, what a post said:

So why would anyone enter a horse who struggled in a r48 race.  That's not good placement is it.  I remember most calling rex keats a mug for entering stormy loch against the best 4yolds at Blenheim a couple of years ago. Given the same applies to this weeks race,do we put Mr Herlihy in the same boat. As jack spratt has said, the  race will probably turn into a race similar to the latest open class race they had at addington,a non competitive 800m sprint. it is what it is. The thing I often wonder about is where do some of the good all star 4 year olds get too.  For example mr mojito looked potentially the 3rd best of the all stars behind lazarus and heaven rocks but has not been seen since he under performed in western Australia. Reminds me of that peter ,paul and mary song,  how did it go.... Where have all the 4yolds gone.....

Only Tony would know. There is still third and fourth money to be picked up......;)

It is so disappointing for harness racing when such a great race previously has now become basically a trial for the All Stars Stable.

100k up for grabs and they will collect almost all of it!

Is this good for harness racing, most of us know the answer!

Most of the feature races are tending to be down on numbers and being dominated in numbers by the one  stable!

I appreciate it that they are clearly superior to every other stable in the country with their horses performances.

The major owners for Purdon/ Rasmussen put huge money into the stable and industry yearly so deserve to get a return.

Only thing is that it is detrimental to the general wellbeing of the industry as previously stated.

Would prefer that the stakes for the big races was spread around more so that other owners also get some return even though it would still be negative.

Should this current situation continue there is nothing surer that there will be less owners, and many of the higher class races will not be run!

Lloyd what has the club done wrong that you can't back it on this. Herlihy was instructed to put his horse in by the owner who wanted the race to get off the ground- same owner has Golden Goddess in the race

I learnt that after my post Nslram.     However, if that was a maiden trot, it would have been canned wouldn't it.     So what is that owner's interest in the race that they wanted it to go ahead and would sacrifice their "near maiden" against horses like Lazarus.     Does this mean they wont be trying?    Stipes will be watching - lol.     But if you really wanted it to go ahead, why then wasn't Race 4 and Race 7 switched places?     Pick 5?   

there is some utter bullshit here.  When you have a champion line up, naturally the opposition seem to run away.  Look at horses like Winx and Black Caviar, many of the group 1's they have won have been against very small fields.  The opposition run away.

Good on the club and other owners for running the race, and even better giving aucklanders a chance to see Lazarus.

Some questionable attitudes here, it is not the all stars stable fault that franco nelson, or other top class horses haven't come up for the race.  Good on Auckland and other owners for pulling together to keep the race going.

16 hours ago, Brodie said:

It is so disappointing for harness racing when such a great race previously has now become basically a trial for the All Stars Stable.

100k up for grabs and they will collect almost all of it!

Is this good for harness racing, most of us know the answer!

Most of the feature races are tending to be down on numbers and being dominated in numbers by the one  stable!

I appreciate it that they are clearly superior to every other stable in the country with their horses performances.

The major owners for Purdon/ Rasmussen put huge money into the stable and industry yearly so deserve to get a return.

Only thing is that it is detrimental to the general wellbeing of the industry as previously stated.

Would prefer that the stakes for the big races was spread around more so that other owners also get some return even though it would still be negative.

Should this current situation continue there is nothing surer that there will be less owners, and many of the higher class races will not be run!

Just one point to clarify here. The stable has won this race once in the last 15 years - in 2009.

1 minute ago, eljay said:

I learnt that after my post Nslram.     However, if that was a maiden trot, it would have been canned wouldn't it.     So what is that owner's interest in the race that they wanted it to go ahead and would sacrifice their "near maiden" against horses like Lazarus.     Does this mean they wont be trying?    Stipes will be watching - lol.     But if you really wanted it to go ahead, why then wasn't Race 4 and Race 7 switched places?     Pick 5?   

it is simple, not many of the top ones want to go and get beat against lazarus, and run for 2nd or 3rd.  likely 3rd at best with Waikiki beach being there.  how many times do you see a club ever pull can on a race with non win trot fields, a lot of the time they are full fields, shit example

2 hours ago, Varro said:

Some questionable attitudes here, it is not the all stars stable fault that franco nelson, or other top class horses haven't come up for the race.  Good on Auckland and other owners for pulling together to keep the race going.

Franco Nelson has been ineligible for for this race for 3 years but was unplaced when eligible :D

4 hours ago, Varro said:

it is not the all stars stable fault that franco nelson, or other top class horses haven't come up for the race.

Now that is a shit example. A wrong one in fact.

Glad you will punting large on Lazarus for the place.

Big races like this should be an attraction for the harness game not a procession.

Varro,

Why is Cash N Flow not in the race?

5 hours ago, Varro said:

12 starts for 5 wins and 3 seconds. Surely he is an all stars stable starter for the race. Surely!!

15 hours ago, Kotare_Hunter said:

Franco Nelson has been ineligible for for this race for 3 years but was unplaced when eligible :D

ok that was just an example of the calibre of horse, but I appreciate the point made

13 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Now that is a shit example. A wrong one in fact.

Glad you will punting large on Lazarus for the place.

Big races like this should be an attraction for the harness game not a procession.

are you just being a moron?

who said anything about betting on him.  How is not an attraction having arguably NZ's best pacer racing in Auckland? and those being able to see him race instead of the race being canned?

Champions and good horses bring the crowds and generate interest in racing overall.  They may not bet on this race, but they may get interested seeing a bloody good horse race.  For mine this is excellent and gopod that they managed to keep this race going.

You should try rubbing 2 brain cells together and think, when champions race, do the opposition run away? yes.

Are they typicall smaller fields? yes, look at black caviar, 5 horse group 1 fields, again sometimes very mediocre opposition.  Winx? but the crowds loved it none the less.

You fuck wit