RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Peter Jenkins

Winter Super Comp starting soon

I'm going to cancel this comp. After the exchanges that have gone on in this forum in the past 24 hours and numerous private emails from people withdrawing, some of whom had earlier stated they will be in, I just can't be bothered with the BS. I'm sorry for those keen to participate. Thanks for offering. It's going to be a quiet winter. These things are mean't to be fun, this crap isn't.

2 hours ago, Peter Jenkins said:

I'm going to cancel this comp. After the exchanges that have gone on in this forum in the past 24 hours and numerous private emails from people withdrawing, some of whom had earlier stated they will be in, I just can't be bothered with the BS. I'm sorry for those keen to participate. Thanks for offering. It's going to be a quiet winter. These things are mean't to be fun, this crap isn't.

That really sucks that people have taken the fun out of a well oiled machine and that you have pulled up stumps. I really have enjoyed your comps and wish you a well deserved winter rest. Just hope nobody tries to take on your format and run something as just wouldn't be the same.

There is no absolutely no doubt my illuminating presence as an entrant in the winter comp would attract the bully boys like moths to a flame and their campaign of abuse etc would continue. However with all of them wanting to be captains I couldn’t resist the fun of adding my name to the draft. :lol:

PJ, unlike some, you run terrific well organized comps with some really nice people taking part. Therefore in order to remove the temptation from the bully boys I retract my draft entry with the added hope that you will continue on with the winter comp and keep the nice people, as mentioned, involved as their fun is paramount. :)

Cheers  

On 15/04/2017 at 10:17 AM, Peter Jenkins said:

Watch this space for details of the Winter Super Comp starting soon.

The only variation will be a live draft for team selection with Captains being able to give their franchise the team name they choose. Register your interest here. Please specify clearly if you wish to be a captain.

Goodonya PJ...I am pleased someone has the intestinal fortitude to throw out the anchor on this site....As you well know if this abusive BS occurred on my tipping website, the scumbags would be in a strong position to drink themselves to death, as they would be exiled to  a vinegar wine cellar.

I will be having a little team challenge on a Sunday if you stand by your decision, so the good people have can still play in the winter.

Cheers and Good Luck PJ

Brian

sad will miss these comps pj but what you have to you have to do

these comps should be good fun hope some grow up and realise what mess they have made of it

pj re put it up the comp and the idiots that have caused the problem don't put your names up if you cant be nice don't play

sharne

There's been several comments on here about idiots, scumbags, .... (plural).  Let's be very clear there is really only one idiot/scumbag at the heart of all of this nonsense.

It started a few years back when I ran a knockout comp and he was beaten by Cabbage in the semi finals.  Rather than congratulate Cabbage he came out with this vitriol about how she had copied Aiden Rodley's selections (or was it Stu Laing's?).  Cabbage was so hurt by this she hasn't entered the comps since. Note, this was a competition that I ran with my own time and money and he didn't have to pay any entry fee.  

He was a member of the Hurricanes team at the time but we didn't really appreciate that sort of behaviour and he left our team.  Since then he has clearly harboured a lot of ill will against the Hurricanes.

This manifested itself when Hesi ran the Top Cat comp over the summer (assisted by TC).  He had been eliminated from the competition but he questioned Hesi's clarification of the shootout rules, claiming that Hesi had changed the rules and thereby undermined the competition.  Note, this was a competition Hesi was running with his own time and some of his own money and nobody paid any entry fee.  Nobody else objected to this change - not even the people who had co-sponsored the comp.  This crusade got quite nasty to the point where he was openly calling into question TC's integrity/ethics when all he was doing was giving up his time to help run a comp.  

and more recently he has rejoined Peter's comps - again he doesn't pay an entry fee but again he does all he can to undermine this comp - often questioning Peter's choice of races, making it quite clear that he doesn't care about Oz racing (so why enter a comp that has 5 Oz races every week?), and last week posting a set of picks where 95% of them were non runners (just to make some ridiculous point in response to what happened to him the week before).

He entered the Winter Comp and several of us told Peter we didn't want to enter.  We told Peter to go ahead without us - we didn't put any ultimatums to him about not entering unless we could pick our own team or unless certain individuals didn't play.   Peter's comps are bigger than any individuals but it is my choice who I want to associate myself with.  

There are a bunch of us who love the comps - we put up our own time and money to run some of these.  We don't need to take this type of abuse/behaviour and some of us have pushed back.  This is not unreasonable.

I hope no one replies to this message. There has been too many postings lately that would have been best not sent.

I made a huge mistake in attacking the garden 3 weeks ago and those pesky privet trees were maybe too big to have been pulled out by hand. The result has been a disc moving to where it shouldn't be and pressing on a nerve that runs down a leg. This necessitates potent pain killers every few hours and not a lot of sleep. I can't drive and do all the things that makes life fun. I wish I could go back 3 weeks and do one thing differently!
When I pulled out of PJ's next comp it was because as the last 3 saturdays have shown, you have to be able to think straight or you let your team mates down. Even on Saturday I was telling Howie how I thought at least Bonniegirl would get me started. He looks at me puzzled and says  "you haven't taken Bonniegirl?" Yip I had written the wrong number on my sheet.

What I have read on this thread has left me just plain sad. No other word like angry, confused or disappointed conveys my thoughts as much as sad.
It was like watching the USA presidential debates, both sides thinking they were right but in most of the rest of the country stood by and just shook their heads.

PJ's comps are legendary. Enjoyed by all and even between the combatants there has always been wit and banter. But there is always that line in the sand between humour and well... hurting of feelings. Without the banter then it is just another comp. I often put an entry in the Stabletalk comp. But as good as the scoring is, the last post is just a list of totals and placings. PJ's comps are / were special. I admit to being sceptical of the draft system last year but it turned out one of the best comps. I admit I was wrong. There...said it!
PJ stopping the next comp, given the circumstances, is what I would have done too.

The precedent of one person spoiling a comp happened a couple of years ago. Person disappeared and things returned to normal.

I am not yet classified as old but I remember when you could get on a plane without the checks, metal detectors and list a mile long of things you can't have with you. Then some loonies hijacked or blew up planes. Now the rest of us suffer. When all 5 yo kids walked to school until one nutter kidnaps a child, now everyone drives the children to school and the rest of us queue in traffic.

My hope would be that in a few weeks, apart from getting some "nerve shunt" I am waiting for, PJ announces a winter draft comp reboot. All previous posts are ignored and everyone plays nicely. The silent majority (I don't make that category) gets their 4..6 hours of fun on a saturday. Life is meant to have some fun, even if that means watching your horse get beaten on the final step.. again!

To all you others, who I see only on the comp threads for all these years as a pseudonym and avatar, but feel I know you, thanks for being there and making my weekends just that little bit better.

sincerely
Geoff
LastOf40

Howdy doody :) .. if it does go ahead whack me in the draft too please Pete :)

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery Rex *yay* \0/  and sorry to hear that you have been unwell Geoff - try some clove oil massaged in.. gently :) .. works wonders for pain and inflammation.

As soon as I saw PJ had canned the winter comp I immediately PM’d him and said I would rescind my draft entry as I did not want the decent people being deprived of it and said I would refrain commenting to the bully boys in the thread. Shortly after I placed my post of withdrawing the draft entry. One would have thought that would have negated the necessity for any further comment from the gang. But alas, they don’t learn and continue to want to throw their weight around, instead of taking a good long hard look at themselves.

They have had their say and in fairness I will post one more time on this thread and in deference to PJ will post as politely as I can.

Hesi’s minder, Jaundice John has stepped out of the shadows with his bend it like Beckham comments. With regard to Cabbage, this person had cut and pasted Adian Rodley’s selections right down to best bets throughout the competition and prior to the final I suggested that in the final doing one’s own selections would be the decent thing to do. The evidence was irrefutable as shown on the TAB website and no denial was ever forthcoming.  If Cabbage had won using someone else’s skills it would akin to someone winning the Man Booker Prize for the best original novel with plagiarized writings.

With regard to Hesi’s comp he altered the rules well after competition start in order with the implication to effect a changed result. For the record this thing happened in another competition run by someone else and Jaundice John withdrew in protest. How can he on one hand, condemn one person for altering the rules and then on the other condone a mate for doing exactly the same thing. That is total hypocrisy.

Both incidents showed a total lack of ethics and fair play in this forum and deserved being taken up on.

With regard to my tongue in cheek comments to PJ re race selection that is a bit of banter between PJ and I, the same as occurs between Alby, Peter and Andrew Bensley on a Saturday morning. I have known PJ for some time, well before he crossed the ditch and if PJ comes back across to Karaka I will try and meet up with him. So if he places the races in the south island I will say “No NZ races this week, or have him on about becoming too much of an Aussie by having so many 2yo races and that he has been away too long.

As to me running comps at present it is totally impractical, bearing in mind that in the past when time had permitted I ran some trivial knowledge based comps. With me currently being involved in providing a highly successful race preview of North Island racing which goes out internationally (incidentally having 9 winners first selection from 15 races last Saturday), to being involved on club committees, to running on-course punter’s clubs and also being involved in organizing ownership syndicates it would be nonsensical to try.   

With regard to the comps forum there appears to be a wee group of bully boys (and they are not my words) or vigilantes who seems to want to control and run how everything goes on around here, right down the fact that they want to have a say on who can and cannot enter comps not even run by them. Anyone who crosses them is subject to ridicule or abuse and people are actually afraid to comment. Now whilst I will be the first to put my hand up and admit I play them like puppets the derision and abuse always starts from one side of the fence and it is not on the side I am standing.

I withdrew from PJ’s comp on Sunday clearing the way to stop the derision/abuse from the bullies however that hasn’t had any effect as evidenced by their posts. What is interesting, a point you boys should perhaps take on board is: If I solely was the sticking point for PJ not running the comp, that obstacle was removed four days ago and he has still not re-booted the comp. Instead of continuing throwing rocks over the fence at someone who is not there I suggest that you go inside and take a good long look at yourselves in the mirror and reflect on your own boorish behaviour.

Hopefully PJ will still reconsider.

Ok Teddy,please listed carefully.1st thing I did not copy and paste this Aiden Rodley persons selections all the way through as you accuse me of.I have my own mind and can make my own decisions .You say that there was no denial I denied this pathetic statement you made from the start.I don't claim to be a wonderful tipster as you,do so if you were beaten by a low tipster woman, who only bets a few times a year then that's something you will just have to get over in time.May we meet again one day and may the luckiest person win.You can carry the sick accusations on if you want but I won't be replying as I have better things to do than  trolling on here like you.Good luck with your tips on the weekend.

im interested thanks

Peter Jenkins i remember these comps from years back.. was alot of fun when teamed up, competing against other teams was a blast!!

hoping for some renewed fun! cheeRs