RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Catalano

2017 Jumps Season

4 hours ago, Catalano said:

Right, I've decided that this year I'm going to bet on every jumps race held in NZ.

At this stage I'm thinking win bets only, 

Anyone know how many races there are in a season?

There's two at Riverton to kick off on Monday - Feel free to join in :)

just think Wheeler and Myers and you cant go wrong :D

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:49 PM, Catalano said:

Right, I've decided that this year I'm going to bet on every jumps race held in NZ.

At this stage I'm thinking win bets only, 

Anyone know how many races there are in a season?

There's two at Riverton to kick off on Monday - Feel free to join in :)

Hi Cat, Usually there's 2 or 3 jumps races per meeting.

Win bets are good or you will go up and down in the same spot betting place..(I do still recommend place 6 as a fun interest bet for the day and they pay good in winter)

I like going for the first start over the jumps horses as they can run the field ragged providing they can jump, and you get a good false odds divvy to usually.

Hope you start off with a winner on Monday mate cheers:)

Can't wait for the jumps season to kick off.Punting wise normally Micheal Mitchell is my go to man,as he seems to be one of the best in the business and he could easily fit it against the Aussie boys.Tho i guess if Shaun Fannin has another season like he did last year..then he's the man to beat again.

Woo! Finally we have some more races!

Riverton race 1, I really like the way Pheasant worked home last time after jumping indifferently early on, but I'm going with Double Tap because of Kuru on board.

race 2, you can't go past Delacroix after his last win.

race 4, oddly enough, I found this the hardest of the races, and there's only 5 runners! I'm going with Seeking Redemption, a nice lead-in 3rd, good trainers, did well enough (4th in a restricted open) at his only crack over the bigger fences.

Bet is now $41 a win on each (I'll explain that later)

And if you're a Fatboy Slim fan, you may get some later in the day :ph34r:

I'm sure it won't be this easy for the remainder of the season!

So far, 5 bets, 4 wins, 80% strike rate. $184.40 profit - average dividend a tiny $2.38 (I've backed some on fixed, some on tote, depends where I see the value)

Next bet is $46 - if a horse pays $4 to win, I invest $4-$1 = $3 extra, on top of the $40 base bet, over the next ten bets. Means my bets get bigger the more often I win, and smaller if I start to lose. 

Some good jumps races on offer at Te Rapa today. 

Race 1 I'm All Yours has had an extra race this prep and a good trial in quick time to prep it for for this. 

Race 2 the good track might make it a speed test. Someone once told me that a hurdle race is a series of small sprints. So I'm going Danza Lad here based on his recent open class flat form. 

Race 4 palemo won a trial nicely recently and also had a hit out during the week. At his best would easily account for these. Myers obviously been patient with him and I reckon he'll go well. 

So we're 8 races in for 5 wins (62.5%) - realistically I'll be very happy with something around 35% as long as our average dividend picks up (currently $2.66) - profit $221.20

Observations:

• I'm All Yours will win one shortly - did all the donkey-work and was coming again at the pointy end.
  • Danza Lad was so strong at the end of his win, despite not settling early - a big winter for him! Ngatira Gold & Thenamesbond ran well and will pick one up shortly
  • Palemo will be in for a huge winter over the bigger fences - his jumping was beautiful to watch. Fair Script came into it so quickly and was very impressive, a look back through his form shows he enjoys the firmer tracks - so he may pick up another one or two if the rain holds off.

Bring on Hastings Thursday!

I do like following the Rudy Liefting jumpers.I've been on Just Got Home the last couple of seasons over the jumps,tho his main downfall is he's lumped with big weights,and he can't seem to carry them on real bog tracks,but he's one of the better jumpers around,so i'll be on him again.And Danza Lad went well in a short prep last season,and it was good to see him resume on a winning note last weekend.The good thing about him is that he can botch a couple of jumps, but because he's got good speed on the flat he can regain his position quickly..i guess he just needs to settle more in his races,as if he's going over a much longer trip he'll probably pull his head off.But am looking forward to seeing what these 2 do again this winter.

Today at Hastings:

Race 1 - I like Ours to do the business for Myers. I think he'll appreciate the firmer track conditions, he's got Fannin on board, and he's had a couple of starts to be fit enough for this.

Race 2 - I'm going a bit rough here with Wiggle @ $23. This time last year he was performing OK in listed company. His recent runs have been on unsuitable wet footing, and as long as the rains holds off, he should have too much pace and will appreciate it having 3kg off his back. Given the odds, I should probably go each-way...?

Race 4 - I think the Big Opal just wins. Scratched on Saturday for this.

Bet is $49 to win (I'll have to decide what I'm doing with Wiggle)

Like your choices Cat - seem pretty much on the money. Only alternative thoughts would be Just Ishi in the chase as has had the recent racing and is going real well.

Wiggle has cost me squillions this season so have a dead set black mark against it - I do like Ooee on the home track there. First race a lottery as my personal take on maiden hurdles early in the season is that generally the best jumper wins (oxymoron I know) but as they go pretty quick on a decent track one mistake can be fatal - when it's a heavy track they can make an error and still recover. For that reason I wouldn't discount Rocky in the first with the home track advantage and some form over the sticks last prep where he jumped very cleanly and quickly.

Good luck as I think this is a super topic as I love the jumpers so always keen to see how others see the punt on them:D

Ours looked like he landed awkwardly at about the 500m, drifted back from there.

Nice run from Wiggle, I ended up fixed odds each-way, so picked up the place money of $4.20. My second choice in the race was Sea King, so that worked out well :)

Blind Squirrel - two from two so far!

4 hours ago, Blind Squirrel said:

Like your choices Cat - seem pretty much on the money. Only alternative thoughts would be Just Ishi in the chase as has had the recent racing and is going real well.

Wiggle has cost me squillions this season so have a dead set black mark against it - I do like Ooee on the home track there. First race a lottery as my personal take on maiden hurdles early in the season is that generally the best jumper wins (oxymoron I know) but as they go pretty quick on a decent track one mistake can be fatal - when it's a heavy track they can make an error and still recover. For that reason I wouldn't discount Rocky in the first with the home track advantage and some form over the sticks last prep where he jumped very cleanly and quickly.

Good luck as I think this is a super topic as I love the jumpers so always keen to see how others see the punt on them:D

Well sussed BS:

FYI my first selections for the three jumps races today were written up as and Just Ishi was a Best Bet on the day:

R1    ROCKY   $2.80FF

This fellow had two hurdle starts last season for two seconds, the first at Rotorua and then at Te Aroha. His jumping left a little bit to be desired as he did make mistakes when hitting some fences in both outings and it is probably fair to say it cost him the win at Te Aroha. Having said that he does come from a very good jumping stable and is on his home track today and if he jumps cleanly then he will be very hard to beat with the very much in form Aaron Kuru to ride. He was a good third fresh up at Woodville over 2200m when finishing off strongly so has obviously done plenty of work for this. For multiples Ours, Jigsaw and No Change.

R2    OOEE    $3.40FF

The class horse here by far is Sea King with nine hurdle wins and he will be very hard to beat too especially after his very good run for fourth on the flat at Wanganui on Sunday but I am picking that the 6kg pull in the weights could swing the race in favour of the local Ooee who has two hurdle wins and who was impressive when winning by fifteen lengths at Trentham over the fences last season. Trained on the track and with Aaron Kuru up hopefully the first two races could go to the Paul Nelson stable. For multiples Sea King, Justa Charlie and Red Mafia.

R4    JUST ISHI    $2.60FF

This fellow is having his first steeplechase start today and the three win hurdle winner comes in here on the minimum weight and in receipt of 6kgs from The Big Opal who has won four of his five steeplechase starts. Just Ishi is fit having had three runs on the flat leading into this and winning the first two of those three runs also. He has pace on the flat, has won over the smaller fences and is sure to give the warm favourite The Big Opal a big hurry up. I think that they will run the quinella and for other multiples Mr Mor and The Fox.

3/3 BS! Nicely done, hope you got some of that.

Fannin looked very confident on The Big Opal and was closing again the last 50m - he'll get plenty this season. 

Rocky in race 1 was very strong and will only get better as the tracks soften, and Ooee was very professional.

A losing day, but we're 6/11 54.5%, profit 177.10

The difference is that I have no desire to help lazy rsole trolls such as yourself TC :P by posting selections here, although I have at times in the past provided them.    

My selections will stand up to scrutiny, are out before the meeting commences and can be easily verified by a number of people who use this site.  

As they say, winners are grinners and you probably don't smile a lot. :D