RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
tim vince

junior drivers

another junior race canned this week- how do we expect to keep juniors- long hours poor pay and bugger all drives- one told me today he has had  enough- great young  fella but who can blame him- time to dump junior races bring in junior claims for all races 15k and under - depending on wins how many points they claim- like jockeys- if I have a 53 rated horse and get a 5 point claimer can enter a 48- not hard. retaining juniors and workers is getting harder and harder. give the young fellas a chance.  I know most of them up here- great fellas respectful but I am a small stable cant  put them all on. they need an advantage and a points claim is the obvious

What about what they do in southland where certain races have a no penalty clause if driven by a junior. Seems to work well down there.  That way you can get reward for supporting them, and not penalize those with lower grade horses who would have to race against higher credentialed horses, possibly driven by very talented juniors.   Really is the problem not more about the failure of your fellow trainers to support these races, therefore how about you give a serve to some of the bigger stables who will be the ones who employ these juniors and don't support them race day.

Tim, down in the South Island as I have previously mentioned, our junior ranks are held up by female drivers more so than ever has been.

Sometimes the junior races have as many female juniors as male.

Think the problem is that a lot of the trainers nowadays don't have their children coming through the ranks as they used to.

If you go through most junior races in the South Island you will see that many of the names are not from the traditional training families.

It is common for our juniors to effectively be lost to the industry once they are out of their junior days, as it is difficult to make a living freelance driving, unless you are extremely talented.

15 hours ago, tim vince said:

another junior race canned this week- how do we expect to keep juniors- long hours poor pay and bugger all drives- one told me today he has had  enough- great young  fella but who can blame him- time to dump junior races bring in junior claims for all races 15k and under - depending on wins how many points they claim- like jockeys- if I have a 53 rated horse and get a 5 point claimer can enter a 48- not hard. retaining juniors and workers is getting harder and harder. give the young fellas a chance.  I know most of them up here- great fellas respectful but I am a small stable cant  put them all on. they need an advantage and a points claim is the obvious

This was mooted at the start of the rating system trial but nothing has happened .....

15 hours ago, what a post said:

Really is the problem not more about the failure of your fellow trainers to support these races, therefore how about you give a serve to some of the bigger stables who will be the ones who employ these juniors and don't support them race day.

Absolutely correct ..... but more likely the owner's decision at the end of the day.