RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
PPP

Kiwi Can

Don't remember who owned him, but ! Here's a great true story. My wife's Cousin (from Wanganui - or is that Whanganui these days?) went to a Stud in the Waikato to look at yearlings and at this particular stud, there were two colts roaming around. He was offered either of the two for I think what was 1000. He tossed a coin, heads the one on the left, tails the one on the right. Heads it was and he bought the Leftie. It didn't do any good. The other one was ? KIWI CAN ! Don't you just love racing stories like this? :(

Kiwi Can

Kiwi Can      Racehorse Kiwi Can was foaled in 1968 and was by Hasty Cloud out of the mare Naughty Ngaire.

Main Wins:

1973 Thompson Handicap

1973 Alison Stakes

1974 Foxbridge Plate

1975 George Adams Handicap

1975 Mackinnon Stakes

1975 Easter Handicap Stakes

1975 Clifford Plate

1976 Sandown Cup

1977 Taurc Japan-NZ International Trophy

1975 Cox Plate (2nd)

Tauhei Notts correct. Kiwi Can won the Robinson Handicap over 7f that day. He paid $13.10 and $3.75. Dan Weatherley ride him. Strike Again and Ron Taylor was second. Some Honey and David Peake was third and Brandyglo was fourth ridden by Des Harris.

5 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Kiwi Can

Kiwi Can      Racehorse Kiwi Can was foaled in 1968 and was by Hasty Cloud out of the mare Naughty Ngaire.

Main Wins:

1973 Thompson Handicap

1973 Alison Stakes

1974 Foxbridge Plate

1975 Mackinnon Stakes

1975 Clifford Plate

1976 Sandown Cup

1975 Cox Plate (2nd)

Sorry Ted, but is that photo supposed to be of Kiwi Can ? cos your photo of Kiwi Can differs considerably to my scrapbook pics (and the racing colours too), plus from memory he was a straight bay, but you could confirm off Roger Lang.

58d9889d6c8ee_KiwiCan0001.jpg.ee66a7d2d840da3282b2889d06fc6367.jpg

10 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Kiwi Can

Main Wins:

1973 Thompson Handicap

1973 Alison Stakes

1974 Foxbridge Plate

1975 Mackinnon Stakes

1975 Clifford Plate

1976 Sandown Cup

1975 Cox Plate (2nd)

Not a terribly fashionable female line if I remember rightly. Someone will know for sure but I think Naughty Ngaire was a sister or close relation to Jumping Joe and Master Joe, jumpers of the late 60's raced by Bill Hale of Maramarua.

8 hours ago, Dwyn said:

Sorry Ted, but is that photo supposed to be of Kiwi Can ? cos your photo of Kiwi Can differs considerably to my scrapbook pics (and the racing colours too), plus from memory he was a straight bay, but you could confirm off Roger Lang.

58d9889d6c8ee_KiwiCan0001.jpg.ee66a7d2d840da3282b2889d06fc6367.jpg

13 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Kiwi Can

Main Wins:

1973 Thompson Handicap

1973 Alison Stakes

1974 Foxbridge Plate

1975 Mackinnon Stakes

1975 Clifford Plate

1976 Sandown Cup

1975 Cox Plate (2nd)

I thought i had lost it, as i always thought Kiwi Can was a big bay horse, but please to say i do have a few marbles left.

As an aside who is the horse in the picture?I will put a $20 bet on for the person who can guess the pictured horse.As i don't know, some expert will recognise the colours and hopefully the horse, Good Luck 

why is it that I think those old horses were better than now- jans beau kings romance great milers- vice regal grey way  and a stack more- oopik    - is it   because im getting old or were they better and more of them- not really a stack sold overseas in those days- kiwi can what a horse

44 minutes ago, tim vince said:

why is it that I think those old horses were better than now- jans beau kings romance great milers- vice regal grey way  and a stack more- oopik    - is it   because im getting old or were they better and more of them- not really a stack sold overseas in those days- kiwi can what a horse

I think it's because they raced for longer and raced in fields with more depth. So there were more good horses about at any one time, and they didn't get handicapped out of things.

Also they raced on firmer tracks so the good ones got to show their talents more often.

I do worry about any 2yo or 3yo that looks half decent getting retired to stud before they have given any indication whether they have any toughness or longevity about them.