RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
WOODBINE

Iffraaj - a quality stallion

Iffraaj has left a NZ 3 year old crop that is one of the best in my memory. He has sired five 3yr old colts that are stakes winners starting with Karaka Millions Winner Xiong Feng, and followed by The Soultaker - since sold to Hong Kong. Then followed the Group winners Wyndspelle, Gingernuts and Jon Snow - the last two are unbeaten in Australia. And before these 3 year olds we had Turn Me Loose.

Iffraaj had only two yearlings in the Karaka Premier Sale this year. He now deserves to be now recognised as an elite stallion - just like Tavistock whose stock were significantly upgraded for our last sale series. 

Well done to Haunui, Mark, Shannon and your team

Edited by WOODBINE
Spelling mistake

Simply top sires invariably make top broodmare sires. Iffraaj has been placed third in the last two NZ Sires Premierships. In England Ribchester is one of the best horses going around. Winner of £1,336,151 so far in his career.

What type of mares suit Iffraaj as some stock do seem a little "on the toe"? Of all the stallions reasonably priced in NZ he is one I am considering breeding to in 2017as he is no doubt top class. Tavistock in comparison is over priced and over rated.

Very good stallion that has been successful in both hemispheres (doesn't happen to often and we are lucky that he has continued to shuttle)

Progeny are very versatile can leave 2yos, Guineas horses, Derby horses and older horses. He has had nearly 900 progeny to race so has a wide representation around the world . In terms of being classed "a truly elite stallion worldwise" probably his stakes winners to runners of 5.4% is a bit low ,but overall a very good stallion who has been very good value (service fee wise) especially in the Southern Hemisphere.

Iffraaj is a very good stallion for all the reasons mentioned above. To me a slight concern is that he leaves too many non -performers. Not enough bread and butter horses, but a few of very high quality.

as mentioned earlier, Iffraaj is a top class stallion, very difficult to get Gr1 performers in the SH ahead of NH. Iffraaj is a rare beast, filly or colt, 2 or 3 it doesn't matter to him. They are rare stallions, and "talk" at the fee, he is more than reasonable value for money. Compare the sale averages and you will realise how slow we are as learners. The penny is dropping slowly.

,I have an unraced Iffraaj mare.The mare is a 10/10 on looks and type she has had a Castledale filly and like her mother is a very attractive type The grand dam has had 8 to the races for 8 winners and is a half sister to Fun On The Run.

Is there any records of what stallions have done well with Iffraaj mares.I have had no luck searching,it may be that  Iffraaj mares are not old enough as yet,I just don't know but i was hoping someone might be able to assist.

Thanks in Advance

SNR

Midget Canford Rose 4 wins in Italy and Olsztyn 2 wins in France are both by Canford Cliffs. Canford Cliffs is by Tagula out of a Marju mare. Note that Iffraaj's highest earner Ribchester is out of a Marju mare. Marju was by Last Tycoon therefore sons of O'Reilly may suit your mare. I would look at Shamexpress. Oldest are yearlings and had some nice types at Karaka this year. Murdanova has won 3 in England. He is by Zebedee a son of Invincible Spirit. Alqubbah has won one race. He is by Arcano a son of Oasis Dream. Power might suit your mare.

2 hours ago, gubellini said:

Midget Canford Rose 4 wins in Italy and Olsztyn 2 wins in France are both by Canford Cliffs. Canford Cliffs is by Tagula out of a Marju mare. Note that Iffraaj's highest earner Ribchester is out of a Marju mare. Marju was by Last Tycoon therefore sons of O'Reilly may suit your mare. I would look at Shamexpress. Oldest are yearlings and had some nice types at Karaka this year. Murdanova has won 3 in England. He is by Zebedee a son of Invincible Spirit. Alqubbah has won one race. He is by Arcano a son of Oasis Dream. Power might suit your mare.

Your logic is very hard to follow.

Why are you mentioning Canford Cliff's progeny? (and those 2 mentioned are non black-type horses), Whats his link to Iffraaj?, Are you trying to link this back to Ribchester in a very round about confused way?

BruceL just looking at a reverse cross of Ifraaj and Last Tycoon. It is a matter of time before Iffraaj mares start leaving Stakes Winners. Early days yet and I was merely quoting the small numbers of winners out of Iffraaj mares so far. Bruce what stallions do you think would suit Iffraaj mares?Iffraaj has had inordinate success with Danehill mares. If I suggest putting Iffraaj mares to Danehill stallions would I be being illogical and confused?

8 minutes ago, gubellini said:

BruceL just looking at a reverse cross of Ifraaj and Last Tycoon. It is a matter of time before Iffraaj mares start leaving Stakes Winners. Early days yet and I was merely quoting the small numbers of winners out of Iffraaj mares so far. Bruce what stallions do you think would suit Iffraaj mares?Iffraaj has had inordinate success with Danehill mares. If I suggest putting Iffraaj mares to Danehill stallions would I be being illogical and confused?

Wheres the evidence of the reverse cross of Iffraaj and Last Tycoon?, are you doing this through Marju? (not that much relevance to Iffraaj?)

BruceL no evidence of a reverse cross of Iffraaj and Last Tycoon yet simply because not many Iffraaj mares have gone to stud yet. Breeding is an in exact science fraught with difficulty and disappointment. I will be looking closely at the progeny of Iffraaj mares at the sales in the next few years and see if a pattern emerges. I suggest looking at O'Reilly or Danehill line stallions may be successful. What are your suggestions Bruce? I would be interested in your thoughts.

I know this that's why I am hitting you up, you have recommended sons of O'Reilly possibly (Shamexpress an unproven sire who has fertility issues) just because minor winners in Italy/France and because they are by Canford Cliffs (link to Iffraaj? ,just because Iffraaj's highest earner is out of a Marju mare), and then a recommendation to Power on the basis of minor winners. Maybe have a closer look to see what successful race horses are out of Zafonic mares.

Iffraaj has crossed very well with Danehill mares but so they should as Danehill is a champion broodmare sire and sire and Iffraaj himself is Danzig free, so naturally the reverse cross of Danzig/Danehill line stallions should work (there are plenty out there in NZ),the Danehill line should also work temperament wise as Iffraaj fillies can be quite hot (comes from the Zafonic line) and the Danehill stereotype Is pretty laid back eat/sleep/work repeat)

Personally I would be focusing more on the damline of the stallions and trying to reinforce duplications that way, Mr Prospector is very successful doubling up and Iffraaj is by a Mr Prospector line stallion so reinforcing that through a female line would have importance with me, Sir Tristram/Zabeel would be another avenue I would look to explore.

I don't believe in just looking at a particular sireline, the female line of the stallion holds a lot of importance and that's what I would be focusing on, also they type/temperament of the mare is super important, at the end of the day you are trying to breed an athlete and compatibility on type between the mare and stallion is essential.

1 hour ago, gubellini said:

BruceL thanks for your comprehensive answer. Will be interesting to see if Iffraaj mares click with Montjeu line sires. Might be a few queries about temperament in such matings.

No problem, in the Northern Hemisphere there has been a lot of success with the Sadlers Well's line over Mr Prospector line mares and vice versa , so no reason not to think so.

A lot to do with temperament comes down to the training and the way (particularly) fillies are managed.

A stallion like Tavistock would be particularly interesting over Iffraaj mares on pedigree also on type.

Thank you for the info and I will look at stallions with Mr Prospector in the dam side.

As aside,the mare is a great mother and is the boss in the paddock,although she did kick the studmaster when she first went to the stud.

2 minutes ago, gubellini said:

Melody Belle gives Iffraaj a broodmare sire Group 1 win in the Manawatu Sires' Produce Stakes.

Melody Belle by a Danehill line stallion in Commands, obviously a very good filly to do the Karaka Millions/Sires double.