RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
chevy86

Te Aroha Off

Track chipping out badly and I think a horse broke down in the 2nd race. Not sure if that was a contributor to it or not.

280mm of rain in last 7 days and only soaked so far in, rapid drying and club unable to work the track to assist were the excuses given.

Easy to be wise in hindsight but did they gallop any horses on it this morning or prior to the racemeeting.Would seem a logical step to take.The track was hit by 240 mls rain last week.Was the false rail in the same place as the trial meeting in January where it got a flogging ? Obviously they were trying to save the inside for the Group One Breeders Stakes meeting in a few weeks.That must be a worry for the Club now.Watching the first two races most runners were under pressure a long way out in the testing conditions.Any inside info Ted?

Chevy my understanding and I was in the room where it was all discussed.

The problem arose from 9 inches of rain dumped on the track at the end of last week and the very hot last few days of very warm weather drying the track out very quickly. From the discussions held the problem was that it had not dried evenly meaning it was softer in some parts than others making the surface uneven. Some riders who rode in the first two races reported that they had no problem at all whilst others did.

Very experienced people inspected the track, riders, trainers with varying opinions however if there is any doubt then safety must be the first priority in all cases (and rightly so) so it was decided to abandon the remaining five races.

No doubt disappointing for everyone involved.  

Thanks Ted, but like most things in life these days everything is getting far too technical and defensive. Nobody prepared to take ANY risk in life where once CONSIDERED risk allowed the world to keep revolving. No surface is ever going to be perfect in every spot so ride to the conditions, unless of course they are manifestly un-ridable due to surface water, poor visibility etc.

I have had the occasional mishap on the farm where a horse has stood in a depression or caught a leg in a tree. Similarly cattle have got themselves in trouble and I am a very hands-on, caring farmer. The pioneers would hang their heads in shame  at our PC world.

15 minutes ago, hesi said:

I suppose the only positive to come out of it, is that it continues to emphasize, that in today's Health & Safety conscious world, there has been an under investment in racing surfaces, and more of the same is to be expected, until the core issues are addressed

Is their any tracks in NZ that's Hasn't had an abandonment in the last 10 years ?  Get rid of the lot you reckon ?

The issue that concerns me is,How was the track safe before Race 1?

I assume a track inspection was done by the Stewards prior to the commencement of Race 1 and yet when a horse breaks it's shoulder and riders expressed concerns about inconsistent footing,these same Stewards reported that the track was unsafe at 2.20pm and racing was abandoned.

The connections of the ill fated horse may want to consider taking the RIU to court to recover their loss,as it is clear the stewards have no idea when a track is safe or unsafe to race on.

How many times have they allowed a meeting to proceed and then abandon the meeting when it has been reported that the track is unsafe to race on?

SNR

Should we be calling for Mr Foskett, Casper - where is he while we are having theses abandonments and why is he still employed, isn't it his job to make sure our tracks are up to scratch and what of all these reports that have been called for?