RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
N1MUE

Moreira

On 3/6/2017 at 5:30 PM, ivanthegreat said:

I believe these are referred to as " DEEP DRAWS " but if they have been SPROOKED will have a show.

"SPRUIKED" actually. I think it's originally an Aussie term. Just means talked up.Funny how every sport seems to have its own language.

9 hours ago, harewood said:

On Monday 30th Jan this year at Shatin the third horse paid $60.10 for a place. I remember thinking Dammm when I heard the result on radio as it was ridden by K Teetan who I regularity follow . There has also been two winners paying !40 and !60 in the last money at Shatin so huge divvies are certainly quite regular there. Unfortunately it wont be Jo Moreira 

Minimum bet in HK is $10 so the dividend you refer to is declared for a $10 place bet.

The Shatin track is outstanding, the only regret they have is not constructing a 200m longer chute where the 1000m start is and a longer 1800m chute to allow a 2000m start down the end of the back straight. The current 2000m start is one of worst you will see anywhere, but when they built the track back in the mid '70's they had no idea where HK racing was heading, they were still running their Derby over 1800m until the late 1900's.

13 minutes ago, Tony McGovern said:

Minimum bet in HK is $10 so the dividend you refer to is declared for a $10 place bet.

The Shatin track is outstanding, the only regret they have is not constructing a 200m longer chute where the 1000m start is and a longer 1800m chute to allow a 2000m start down the end of the back straight. The current 2000m start is one of worst you will see anywhere, but when they built the track back in the mid '70's they had no idea where HK racing was heading, they were still running their Derby over 1800m until the late 1900's.

No the dividend I refer to is what it paid on the commingled  Aus S Tab. The $60.10 is what you would have got for $1 dollar. I realise that there is a minimum bet in Hong Kong because I have been to Shatin however that is in HK dollars which is roughly 5 to one. So there minimum bet is roughly $2 NZ. The dividend declared in HK would have been around the HK600

22 minutes ago, Tony McGovern said:

23 minutes ago, Tony McGovern said:

Seem to remember Tony that the horse that paid $52 for the place on our TAB was showing $520 in Hong Kong so the $10 bet and subsequent dividend factored in

Does anyone know about them changing a horses leg and how effective it is   ?

“The Brazilian jockeys have a different riding style to ours,” said Rodd on RSN’s Racing Ahead.

“Everyone is talking about Joao, he’s the ‘Magic Man’, and rightfully so.

“He’s a freakish talent.

“It is amazing what he can do on a horse, he is ice cold in his approach to everything and he doesn’t seem to get flustered.

“What I have noticed since I have been in Singapore, and it is something that both Joao and Manoel Nunes do so well, the Brazilian jockeys can change horse’s legs quite a bit during a race.

“It is something that they are taught at their apprentice school when they are kids, they get placed in a riding arena and their riding master would be telling them to change lead legs.

“This is something that they also teach their horses to do in Brazil.

“I really do think this is what gives them that extra gear

Full article below .

https://www.racing.com/news/2015-03-24/changing-legs-key-to-success

1 hour ago, HarryHindsight said:

Does anyone know about them changing a horses leg and how effective it is   ?

“The Brazilian jockeys have a different riding style to ours,” said Rodd on RSN’s Racing Ahead.

“Everyone is talking about Joao, he’s the ‘Magic Man’, and rightfully so.

“He’s a freakish talent.

“It is amazing what he can do on a horse, he is ice cold in his approach to everything and he doesn’t seem to get flustered.

“What I have noticed since I have been in Singapore, and it is something that both Joao and Manoel Nunes do so well, the Brazilian jockeys can change horse’s legs quite a bit during a race.

“It is something that they are taught at their apprentice school when they are kids, they get placed in a riding arena and their riding master would be telling them to change lead legs.

“This is something that they also teach their horses to do in Brazil.

“I really do think this is what gives them that extra gear

Full article below .

https://www.racing.com/news/2015-03-24/changing-legs-key-to-success

Its enormous. Consider it an extra length.

7 hours ago, the shue25 said:

I find that a very strange comment,there was only one Lester Piggott. JM is certainly a superstar, but i not rate him as good as  Lester  Piggott.

Yes I agree entirely the shue 25. Piggott 4493 career wins, Shoemaker held the world record for the most wins for 29 years and amassed 8,833 wins. Moreira has won 720 races. He may yet climb to those heights but it's going to take a very long time as it did for Piggott and Shoemaker, both of them also superstars in their own right. Discussing the merits of jockeys of different eras is like trying to compare horses of different eras - very difficult - but Piggott and Shoemaker stand out as special riders no matter who you want to compare them with because they were brilliant over many years. Piggott had four rides at Ellerslie in his only visit to NZ and won on all of them. His ride on Arbre Chene to win the feature that day was sublime.   

as I recall arbre chene had a big distance query- beat blue rula late in the piece. trained by clive bennet who took over when peter cathro killed when kicked by a horse.

I think clive  still around working at pukekoke track. Went to gisborne one day with rodger hinton  and clive rode  a horse for rodger called gay Talofa  to win. In  those days no declared riders- often just found one on the  day- they were great days.

Rodger Hinton very good trainer. Drove up the driveway at my place the other days when I was jogging one. Hadnt seen for many years. Doing very well for himself with his brother Max. They in the bloodstock business in Melbourne as well as his brother Max  training- he was a good rider - weight got him. Max's son Ryan did good in aussie before weight got him. Not really on the topic but a bit of nostalgia. Racing seemed much better those days but   always easy to look back. Avondale was a thriving training centre then > Rodger  doug Vincent   barney meyer  bill calvert  and many others  -lots of decent horses there in late seventies and eighties.not so much now.

No doubt Moreira is an accomplished jockey, but just like my post on "Good trainers"--you still have to have the quality cattle!!!! An underrated jockey like Mark Hills would be a standout if he had first call on the the Te Akau flock. (not saying he would rival OP but he would still have impressive results). Like most vocations in life success is where talent meets opportunity.

1 hour ago, chevy86 said:

No doubt Moreira is an accomplished jockey, but just like my post on "Good trainers"--you still have to have the quality cattle!!!! An underrated jockey like Mark Hills would be a standout if he had first call on the the Te Akau flock. (not saying he would rival OP but he would still have impressive results). Like most vocations in life success is where talent meets opportunity.

Moreira an "accomplished" jockey? You think he had things handed him to get to HK coming from Brazil? And did you really just compare him in a post to Mark Hills?

12 minutes ago, Sickopunter said:

Moreira an "accomplished" jockey? You think he had things handed him to get to HK coming from Brazil? And did you really just compare him in a post to Mark Hills?

Affirmative. Success begets success. Why was our best a flop in HK? The heat? fried rice syndrome?couldn't see the sun? mounts wouldn't change legs? Emily homesick? No, lack of good rides! The Hills comparison pertained to NZ, not HK.

It's all a bit like the elevation of coaches to heroic status if a team succeeds--IMO the All Blacks won the 2011 World Cup IN SPITE of Graham Henry.

Just now, chevy86 said:

Affirmative. Success begets success. Why was our best a flop in HK? The heat? fried rice syndrome?couldn't see the sun? mounts wouldn't change legs? Emily homesick? No, lack of good rides!

No. Couldn't ride light and not as good as the other riders who don't.

3 hours ago, chevy86 said:

No don't agree...he was a virtual unknown when he went to Singapore...worked damn hard became a superstar... went to HK did the same thing started off slowly then became one of the worlds best jockeys, he proves that as wherever he goes he adapts and wins big races. 

6 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

No don't agree...he was a virtual unknown when he went to Singapore...worked damn hard became a superstar... went to HK did the same thing started off slowly then became one of the worlds best jockeys, he proves that as wherever he goes he adapts and wins big races. 

100% right.

14 hours ago, chevy86 said:

Affirmative. Success begets success. Why was our best a flop in HK? The heat? fried rice syndrome?couldn't see the sun? mounts wouldn't change legs? Emily homesick? No, lack of good rides! The Hills comparison pertained to NZ, not HK.

It's all a bit like the elevation of coaches to heroic status if a team succeeds--IMO the All Blacks won the 2011 World Cup IN SPITE of Graham Henry.

Also you can joke all you want about them changing legs but when a Melbourne Cup winning jockey (Rodd) makes specific mention of the fact he is continually trying to learn it because of how good the Brazilians are surely the idea warrants some respect.

On 3/9/2017 at 10:59 AM, Sickopunter said:

Also you can joke all you want about them changing legs but when a Melbourne Cup winning jockey (Rodd) makes specific mention of the fact he is continually trying to learn it because of how good the Brazilians are surely the idea warrants some respect.

Yep dead right, certainly warrants respect. They teach it to dressage riders all the time, because the horse has to be taught to change legs. Mark Todd was a master at it. Too heavy to ride eight winners on a card but did pretty well at the Olympics and showed what a great horseman he is when he tried his hand at training racehorses too.

19 hours ago, High Sparrow said:

Yep dead right, certainly warrants respect. They teach it to dressage riders all the time, because the horse has to be taught to change legs. Mark Todd was a master at it. Too heavy to ride eight winners on a card but did pretty well at the Olympics and showed what a great horseman he is when he tried his hand at training racehorses too.

Any racehorse trainers actively trying to teach their horses to do so? Obviously a lot of sport horse staff employed in stables........

12 minutes ago, Sickopunter said:

Any racehorse trainers actively trying to teach their horses to do so? Obviously a lot of sport horse staff employed in stables........

Of course, why do you think they all change legs when jockey's start to urge them along from about the 600 to the turn, and then change back again when the jockey sits up on them after the post, or when they're beaten.

8 minutes ago, Midget said:

Of course, why do you think they all change legs when jockey's start to urge them along from about the 600 to the turn, and then change back again when the jockey sits up on them after the post, or when they're beaten.

They all change legs when the jockeys urge them? Every horse? Every jockey? You cannot be serious.

20 minutes ago, Midget said:

Does that mean all the horses are all on the wrong leg from the start of the race?   I notice the the pacers at Reefton today don't  change legs at all.

1 hour ago, Sickopunter said:

They all change legs when the jockeys urge them? Every horse? Every jockey? You cannot be serious.

Go watch, even Stevie Wonder can see it happening, with the exception of those that won't change because they're not genuine or they're looking after themselves for health/soreness reasons.

Clearly you're not much of a horseman or you don't understand horsemanship and the natural habits of the animal.

44 minutes ago, Whyisit said:

Does that mean all the horses are all on the wrong leg from the start of the race?   I notice the the pacers at Reefton today don't  change legs at all.

They switch, some like to lead on the near, some the off ( I guess that's why some have a penchant for going left, other right ) some change often, some only when asked, some when they get anaerobic and start to tire.