RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
N1MUE

Moreira

I know it's been said so many times before, but wow - this guy is unbelievable.  Six races at HK so far tonight and he has won 5 of them (and he didn't have a ride in the other).  A joy to watch.

And they weren't all short-priced favourites - only one was odds on - the average win dividend over the five of them was around $4.

50 minutes ago, Trump said:

Who said outside barriers are a problem? Have a look at some of his gates. 14, 11 etc. A master class!

Its one of the best back and wide trend tracks in the history of racing. If you're going back most of the time wide gates are no worry at all.

2 hours ago, Eastwood Jaunty said:

the more i watch Sha Tin the more I can't believe how good Sunline's win there was

one of the best you will ever see mate, especially as you do not see at all many hard running front runners win over a mile there

Arguably the best track of its type in the world and something we should certainly model our future ( have we got one ? ) on.

I love the way jockeys use the camber to attack wide knowing they'll come down off it on the home turn with more momentum.

A very fair track to all, and a track that gives punters confidence to have a bet.

As an aside you don't seem to see much canter & sprint racing up there, do the stipes crack down on it or is it just better horses and better jockeys so it doesn't happen ?

17 minutes ago, Midget said:

Arguably the best track of its type in the world and something we should certainly model our future ( have we got one ? ) on.

I love the way jockeys use the camber to attack wide knowing they'll come down off it on the home turn with more momentum.

A very fair track to all, and a track that gives punters confidence to have a bet.

As an aside you don't seem to see much canter & sprint racing up there, do the stipes crack down on it or is it just better horses and better jockeys so it doesn't happen ?

have to agree, best track in the world.  can come from anywere, but I particularly like how back markers can hook out and attack.  Nz would be wise to try and model a new track on sha tin.  Best racing there, and always race competitively.  You very rarely see stop start races.  Although I don't follow happy valley so I don't know if its any different there.

Regards comments about the track itself, camber etc, the best thing about this track is it's ability to dissipate water very quickly - ( a bit like when I've had 6 quick pints of lager :) ) It handles heavy rain so well.

Huge 'place' prices (show, actually) are not uncommon in the U.S. because of what is called "bridge jumping".  Short story: most states mandate that a horse cannot pay $1.00 to show - it must pay at least $1.05 (some states, I think West Virginia is one of them, are $1.10 minimum).  As a consequence when a true champion lines up, people see an easy 5% and people put enormous tote bets on the champion to show. The show pool can be $1million when the win is $100k and $980k of the show pool is on the same horse.

On the rare occasion when the champion does not run top 3, the show prices can be absurd.  There was a Grade 1 race here in 2015 when the champion Shared Belief got injured mid-race. It was carrying 90% of show pool. Winner paid $16 to win and $23 to show. Second horse paid $71 to show and third horse paid $45 to show.

as a punter it's a risk that can be worth taking - if you bet on a horse other than the champion, and the champion and your horse both run in the money, the club has the right to pay you $1.05 for your bet also (so it doesn't get bankrupted).  But if you get lucky and the fave is unplaced, then the payoff can be very significant.

It's called "bridge jumping" because that's where you find the show bettors who get it wrong 

there's an app and a Twitter account "BridgeJumperAlert" that tells you when a show pool is over 90% on one horse  

The club also has the right not to hold show betting if a champion has come to town 

Back to Hong Kong:  The horse that paid $52 to place was paying $373 to win and was in front short of the line! It went a super race  

You can see this kind of high price performance in Hong Kong when a horse gives the impression in its first couple of races that it has been given an incorrect rating and gradually works its way down the ratings (usually dropping 3 points per failure, so still takes 5 or so starts to drop a class). That's why you might see one or two horses in each race paying megabucks. But if the reason for the poor performances was something other than misclassification, then the horse can run a hole at good money.  At least that's how I see it: others will know HK racing better than me. 

21 minutes ago, Trump said:

Regards comments about the track itself, camber etc, the best thing about this track is it's ability to dissipate water very quickly - ( a bit like when I've had 6 quick pints of lager :) ) It handles heavy rain so well.

It's Strathayr Ernie, an aesthetically attractive all weather option ( you knew that of course )

On 06/03/2017 at 11:14 AM, High Sparrow said:

Absolute genius on horse back. Think Piggott, think Shoemaker. Right up there with the best of them. Three wins for former Aussie trainer John Size, all ridden by Moreira, wasn't a bad effort when the competition is so hot there.

He would have made those blokes look like amateurs. Riding has evolved.

Yes Midgie. I think I mentioned somewhere on 'cafe that I was in HK for the races and on the morning there was "TORRENTIAL" rain for about 1 and 1/2 hours. It pissed down with a tropical deluge from about 9am - 10:30am. No chance of racing so we planned a long lunch thinking "no races". They went ahead and the track was beautiful !

On 3/6/2017 at 8:21 AM, Racing84 said:

Anyone seen a horse pay $52 for the place before?

On Monday 30th Jan this year at Shatin the third horse paid $60.10 for a place. I remember thinking Dammm when I heard the result on radio as it was ridden by K Teetan who I regularity follow . There has also been two winners paying !40 and !60 in the last money at Shatin so huge divvies are certainly quite regular there. Unfortunately it wont be Jo Moreira 

Apart from being one of the best (if not "The Best"), how about his class as a person? He has a battle all the way up the straight in last year's Melb Cup, riding Heartbreak City to perfection and having the race all but won, only to be beaten by a nose by another masterful ride by Keiran McEvoy on Almandin (the little beauty :) ). Yet Moreira's immediate thought after the post was not disappointment or dejection. He immediately offered his hand in congratulations to McEvoy. All class. 

8 hours ago, Sickopunter said:

He would have made those blokes look like amateurs. Riding has evolved.

I find that a very strange comment,there was only one Lester Piggott. JM is certainly a superstar, but i not rate him as good as  Lester  Piggott.

23 hours ago, Trump said:

the best thing about this track is it's ability to dissipate water very quickly - ( a bit like when I've had 6 quick pints of lager :) )

just remember to go before you go. There is nothing worse than having to tell the Mrs to pull over by that lamp post because I forgot to go :ph34r: